00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is the review system this way?

446 Views | 19 Replies

No offense but, this site has the strictest and most ineffective review system I've ever seen.

If you leave anything but a glowing 5 star review the creator gets to tell you how your wrong/stupid/need a better computer, and you can't even defend yourself, then anyone who reads your review just figures you were wrong. I suspect that's why so many games on this site have so low of score while having nearly all 5 star reviews.

It also makes no sense that the reviews can have half stars but the rating is whole stars only.

So really, why is the rating system like this? and why can't we just have a comment section instead, that would be a lot more helpful.

I keep seeing banners saying "upgrade your experience!", if the reviews were upgraded, and the 5 rating limit removed I would support.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 09:11:17

At 9/5/17 06:50 AM, ThorM1 wrote: If you leave anything but a glowing 5 star review the creator gets to tell you how your wrong/stupid/need a better computer, and you can't even defend yourself, then anyone who reads your review just figures you were wrong. I suspect that's why so many games on this site have so low of score while having nearly all 5 star reviews.

Don't project your own faults onto others. Most creators understand constructive criticism and are not dicks. If you do come across one that is a dick, there's always the option not to leave a review.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 09:51:05

At 9/5/17 06:50 AM, ThorM1 wrote: If you leave anything but a glowing 5 star review the creator gets to tell you how your wrong/stupid/need a better computer,

See, right there is your problem.

This line: your stupid is insulting and a personal attack on the author.
This line: need a better computer 9/10 has nothing to do with the creation. Granted, it could mean use better software, but be more direct and less general if thats the case.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 10:06:14

Generally most review systems work like this.
Like I travel a lot, so I write a lot of tripadvisor reviews.
Often the managers leave me a snarky reply. I don't care.
I said my piece, they said theirs.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 10:08:58

At 9/5/17 09:51 AM, kidray76 wrote:
At 9/5/17 06:50 AM, ThorM1 wrote: If you leave anything but a glowing 5 star review the creator gets to tell you how your wrong/stupid/need a better computer,
See, right there is your problem.

This line: your stupid is insulting and a personal attack on the author.
This line: need a better computer 9/10 has nothing to do with the creation. Granted, it could mean use better software, but be more direct and less general if thats the case.

Sorry but you got that backwards, those are basic descriptions of things I've seen creators tell reviewers who dare give them less than 5 stars.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 10:26:07

Unless you've have reviews deleted all of your low scoring reviews have been responded to very kindly. All of my low scoring reviews have been answered to kindly as well.

I guarantee you if you include constructive criticism with all of your low scoring reviews that this will hardly ever be something that happens. You really only get shitty responses when you give shitty reviews.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 10:59:01

I think you have a point on the star rating thing. Its kinda weird that its full stars in one place and half stars on the other.
The review system however: The fact that you can only post once, forces the reviewer to think about what he/she has to say. I believe this increases the chances of people leaving better comments.
And in case the commenter just leaves a stupid remark, the author has the last word wich I think is fair (and often hillarious). If its the other way around, you can always send a pm to the author.

If you let commentor and author (and possibly other people) post shit endlessly, you're likely gonna get the comment system to become like youtube, and we all know that words of wisdom are rarely found there.

But in my experience on NG, whenever I leave lenghty reviews explaining what I think the author did badly, they usually appreciate it, and if they don't, that's their problem.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:05:12

At 9/5/17 10:26 AM, Fro wrote: Unless you've have reviews deleted all of your low scoring reviews have been responded to very kindly. All of my low scoring reviews have been answered to kindly as well.

I guarantee you if you include constructive criticism with all of your low scoring reviews that this will hardly ever be something that happens. You really only get shitty responses when you give shitty reviews.

The only review I got a bad response to was the one for Color Shapes, I even sent the author a screenshot and never got a response back.
I tend to read reviews and I've seen responses to other reviews, sometimes even to 3 star reviews, that made me wish there was a block feature. Which luckily I found today.

At 9/5/17 10:59 AM, Guidodinho wrote: If you let commentor and author (and possibly other people) post shit endlessly, you're likely gonna get the comment system to become like youtube, and we all know that words of wisdom are rarely found there.

Yeah I definitely agree that it being like youtube would be bad.

EDIT
Of course also if you make it too hard to review things, than less people will bother reviewing them.
I searched the forum to see if this topic was already posted and was overwhelmed by the amount of posts asking for people to review their submissions. To me that says there is a problem with the current system.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:12:43

At 9/5/17 11:05 AM, ThorM1 wrote:
The only review I got a bad response to was the one for Color Shapes, I even sent the author a screenshot and never got a response back.

How is that a bad response? Not once did he call you a name or say anything negative. He just says that it does work and that level 1 isn't locked.

I mean, it seems to be working for everyone except for you. In fact, level 1 isn't locked on my end either. (three different devices) You should try again. In fact, show me the screenshot because it would be odd for a lock to show up randomly where an author didn't program it to be there.

And even if it was a random bug and he didn't respond so what?

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:22:17

At 9/5/17 11:12 AM, Fro wrote:
At 9/5/17 11:05 AM, ThorM1 wrote:
How is that a bad response? Not once did he call you a name or say anything negative. He just says that it does work and that level 1 isn't locked.

I mean, it seems to be working for everyone except for you. In fact, level 1 isn't locked on my end either. (three different devices) You should try again. In fact, show me the screenshot because it would be odd for a lock to show up randomly where an author didn't program it to be there.

And even if it was a random bug and he didn't respond so what?

May not mean anything to you, but when someone accuses me of lying, I get offended.
And the game still doesn't work, plus I doubt I was the only one cause my review used to be marked as helpful

Why is the review system this way?

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:25:21

At 9/5/17 10:08 AM, ThorM1 wrote:
At 9/5/17 09:51 AM, kidray76 wrote:
Sorry but you got that backwards, those are basic descriptions of things I've seen creators tell reviewers who dare give them less than 5 stars.

Yep, I did read it backwards.

Unfortunately, creators can look like douches all they want with pretty much no remorse or recourse to them. In those cases, the public will just ignore his or her work and they drop off into the abyss to be forever gotten.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:38:06

At 9/5/17 11:22 AM, ThorM1 wrote:
May not mean anything to you, but when someone accuses me of lying, I get offended.

Get offended all you want, but clearly since it's working for the masses and chances are the author has been unable to reproduce this error on his end he just assumed that when you said that they were all locked that you hadn't noticed the first one was unlocked.

I mean.. common sense man. He wasn't calling you a liar by any means. It's a clear case of misunderstanding.

And the game still doesn't work, plus I doubt I was the only one cause my review used to be marked as helpful

It's just weird that nobody has mentioned it in any other reviews.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 11:43:21

At 9/5/17 11:38 AM, Fro wrote:
At 9/5/17 11:22 AM, ThorM1 wrote:
Get offended all you want, but clearly since it's working for the masses and chances are the author has been unable to reproduce this error on his end he just assumed that when you said that they were all locked that you hadn't noticed the first one was unlocked.

I mean.. common sense man. He wasn't calling you a liar by any means. It's a clear case of misunderstanding.

It's just weird that nobody has mentioned it in any other reviews.

Hey he could have said something in reply when I sent the screenshot.
What's worse is I got a whole new computer and OS since then and it still doesn't work.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 13:57:17

The review system is like this because it keeps the reviews as actual reviews. Reviews being something you say about the content which is aiming to tell people if its good or not. If you could comment multiple times it would just turn into people spamming hate or just being idiots (like youtube). Also the creator should have the last say, they made it after all. If you don't like the reply they gave you, just get over it and don't watch/play their game/cartoon.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 14:15:08

Can you post examples?
I want to see whether their snark was justified or not.
Also the Reply To Post system sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 19:51:35

At 9/5/17 01:57 PM, BonerMonkeyMilk wrote: The review system is like this because it keeps the reviews as actual reviews. Reviews being something you say about the content which is aiming to tell people if its good or not. If you could comment multiple times it would just turn into people spamming hate or just being idiots (like youtube). Also the creator should have the last say, they made it after all. If you don't like the reply they gave you, just get over it and don't watch/play their game/cartoon.

I wish that were true, but there are lots of 5 star reviews with no substance. Frankly it's kind of annoying when the rating is 2 stars and all the reviews are 5 stars saying things along the lines of 'great game'. Other places there would be reviews to go with that low rating.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 19:55:38

At 9/5/17 02:15 PM, phenorax wrote: Can you post examples?
I want to see whether their snark was justified or not.
Also the Reply To Post system sucks.

No, no examples, it's not like I bookmark it every time I see it.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 20:20:14

I'm torn on this. On one hand, I would really like to see a full comment system so I can keep the conversation going with people who write to me. On the other hand, it helps to keep the trolls at bay.

People can be damn cruel for no reason without even thinking about the consequences. Most creators on here are making games and movies for fun, and for free. So when a troll pops on and gives a 0 star review saying this was this biggest piece of shit they ever saw, it can be pretty damn disheartening. That shit fucks up your day- hell, I remember horrible reviews people have given me from years ago, not necessarily on NG, but in general. Typically it's a passing comment by the reviewer and they never think about it again in their life, but as a creator that sticks with you.

So limiting them to that one response is often preferable, since their review typically offers nothing of substance other than to tell the creator how bad they suck.

I do agree that most creators aren't able to handle criticism on here and do lash out, but I like getting the last word as a creator. I make sure to respond to every comment, even the bad ones (especially the bad ones) but I like to include hilarious and inane responses that match the depthlessness of the reviews. It amuses me and I like to think my readers get a chuckle out of the goofy crap I say to the people who like to come into the room and fart because they're having a lousy day.

Response to Why is the review system this way? 2017-09-05 21:32:50

At 9/5/17 11:51 AM, NekoMika wrote: On the topic of the game - Works fine for me, first level is not locked, as @Fro and @kidray76 have said, you are the only so far who has noted the bug and the author has likely NOT been able to reproduce it. I would suggest trying a different browser to see if the bug still persists.

Last I had heard Firefox was the only browser (for PC) that still supported flash, but I tried it in Edge and it works there.