00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lordmagian just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party

12,353 Views | 79 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 08:50:25

At 8/26/17 06:40 PM, AliceMako wrote: Soundcloud is probably not the greatest example to take on board in this equation here unless you wanted a case study of how this funding model might potentialy not work against hemmorrhaging money.

Despite losing tons of money Soundcloud does make millions of dollars - if NG made what Soundcloud is making, our top artists would be making bank right now in rev share because we don't have a gourmet cafeteria and nonstop cocaine party going on (I don't know if they have an actual cocaine party going on I just picture that with all well funded sites).

In regards to tweaking prices, i don't know if charging more helps in the long term, it might though? As an aside, we might want to conjure up more resources/edumacational material here for people on how to make a living doing what they do as the absence of this being common knowledge and the user base being generaly as broke as they are seems to go hand in hand through life.

We have plans to help boost peoples' Patreons and Twitch streams, which are decent monetization sources for people who put in the extra work on them. These are tough times in general though.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 20:05:43

At 8/25/17 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: Another reason why the Vimeo model seems promising is they apparently have over 700,000 paying subscribers. It's hard to even believe that is possible and it makes me feel especially lame that we can't even hit 2,000. Newgrounds is on par with most of these sites in many ways. Vimeo has the advantage of being owned by a billionaire so it never had to go through an "ugly ads" phase, which we are trying to escape with more support.

Maybe a bit off-topic from the whole price-scheme/subscription layout thing... but it occurred to me if you're looking at "what does Vimeo got that we don't got", that advertising -- and I mean advertising the site itself, not advertisements ON the site -- is something I can't recall ever seeing for Newgrounds.

https://youtu.be/6foT-3Bo0JM

https://youtu.be/Vej4-wov288

Clearly, big-budget TV commercials seem off the table (at least to me) due to NG's current relative small size. BUT, it is an indie site, isn't it? So NG could actually *create* its own commercials using talent from the NG site itself -- writers, animators, voice actors (and, I'm sure there would be "face" actors around here as well!), directors, etc. If it's created using volunteer work, any marketing budget that *does* exist (I don't know the budget so don't know if that's any at all) could go towards spreading it. Like, I don't know, Facebook ad space or something of that nature? I've never made a commercial so I don't know. Just an idea! :)

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 21:09:34

Wow, I'm gonna buy the shit outta Nightmare Cops when it comes out.

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 21:56:00

At 8/27/17 08:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: (I don't know if they have an actual cocaine party going on I just picture that with all well funded sites).

I can assure anyone in question that this is a very reasonable imaginative meandering, statistically speaking.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 22:20:01

At 8/26/17 04:29 PM, SickDeathFiend wrote: Bad idea. Competing portal sites will just rip it day 1 and then NG loses out because they will be the only site with a paywall. to play said game. Instead the sponsored game can have exclusive features for paid NG users. For my current multiplayergame I was trying to think of cosmetic exclusives for players who are supporters or something not sure. Nobody likes pay to win.

Are sitelocks so unreliable, or so easy to work around?
I'm legitimately asking. Because that does kind of kill that idea :/

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-27 23:52:09

At 8/27/17 10:20 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 8/26/17 04:29 PM, SickDeathFiend wrote:
Are sitelocks so unreliable, or so easy to work around?
I'm legitimately asking. Because that does kind of kill that idea :/

If someone wants to rip a flash game or hack it for cheats they can and will.

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 01:59:17

I may sound like a broken record.

People are so strapped right now that I would leave the $3-a-month users alone, but offer a higher tier for people who can pay and let them get something. Some people who can pay more already are, but if creators could get featured more prominently across the site by paying more with banner ads, etc, I think they would.

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 02:48:58

I would dig a tiered subscription model. Or something like a shopping cart for perks, allowing people to feel like they are getting value for their money, and also requiring a minimum of $3/mo to keep the baseline the same.

Check boxes:
$3 - remove ads (required)
$1 - user perk A
$2 - user perk B
$2 - user perk C

Radio button:
$6 - remove ads and get all user perks (save 20%)

Just a thought.

(>'-')>

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 10:23:23

Hmm, 4$ a month seems good enough for a suscription, (although I personally prefer paying the whole year in advance, maybe 30$ a year could be a well rounded option) and the concept for the NG App and the arcade (W00T!) are pretty exciting. In the meantime it does makes me wish that the higher payment could offer a few more tools like the ones expected in a "Pro" version; Maybe creator-focused tools like features to have more control over the personalization and presentation of the user page, or What about something like making multi-picture Art Portal posts? just some things that come to mind, considering the upcoming redesign.

The idea of having 'tiers' wouldn't be so bad either, maybe 3$ is the existing features, then 5$ brings more options for content creators or something along those lines.

Also, as some mentioned; having tools to recognize supporter status could be nice for extra game features, maybe I could make a couple of supporter exclusive 'bonus challenges' on a game like 'Ducks' or something like that.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 11:03:59

At 8/27/17 06:59 PM, WalksWithGrizzlies wrote: How was NobodyTM 's party for those that went?

It was a good time, the venue hit max capacity and there ended up being a lot of people out on the street but it was a really nice night out. Lots of great live music and a cool crowd.

Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 13:17:51

Cool Game Mr. Fulp.

I'm presenting my game at London Comic Con 2017 late October (Currently named: Olmec the Guardian)

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 13:28:48

I'm still going to use NG without paying a single cent mind you, no matter what awesome stuff you might promise...

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 13:53:57

At 8/28/17 01:28 PM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: I'm still going to use NG without paying a single cent mind you, no matter what awesome stuff you might promise...

Even if the supporter badge was a literal bronze heart?

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-28 19:14:19

At 8/28/17 11:03 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/27/17 06:59 PM, WalksWithGrizzlies wrote: How was NobodyTM 's party for those that went?
It was a good time, the venue hit max capacity and there ended up being a lot of people out on the street but it was a really nice night out. Lots of great live music and a cool crowd.

ah the office looks way different than the last time i was there, thats cool you had a bar installed tho

None

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-29 10:18:38

In regards to the supporter model, i dont mind the pricing changes, tho i probably will stick to month to month, i find that model works best, i wouldnt do patreon support if yearly i had to pay (x) amount. $5/whatever trickle out a month feels better to me for some reason.

I do think the itd be good to move away from the donation, save newgrounds retoric. Even if true, id rather feel like im paying for a premium experience, and not just doing charity work. I think that's one thing that works well on Patreon / twitch, is you don't feel like youre feeding a starving artist, you feel like you're genuinely enabling their creative output which actually feels better because everyone benefits from it. Maybe I'm just jaded from the endless homeless in the city everyday, where that money you give them literally makes no difference and its a hopeless feeling.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-29 10:27:53

At 8/29/17 10:18 AM, Luis wrote: In regards to the supporter model, i dont mind the pricing changes, tho i probably will stick to month to month, i find that model works best, i wouldnt do patreon support if yearly i had to pay (x) amount. $5/whatever trickle out a month feels better to me for some reason.

I do think the itd be good to move away from the donation, save newgrounds retoric. Even if true, id rather feel like im paying for a premium experience, and not just doing charity work. I think that's one thing that works well on Patreon / twitch, is you don't feel like youre feeding a starving artist, you feel like you're genuinely enabling their creative output which actually feels better because everyone benefits from it. Maybe I'm just jaded from the endless homeless in the city everyday, where that money you give them literally makes no difference and its a hopeless feeling.

Also first post.

If / when we rebrand supporter, what would you want it to be called?

When it has come up before, Platinum has had a lot of approval... Namely because the original free accounts were called Grounds Gold when we launched them in 1999 but also because Platinum is a clear denotation for a premium service. The downside is it sounds like a joke to some people, like a diners club card from the 80s... But maybe it's fresh again to this upcoming generation.

We've discussed military-themed names but they come with their own issues - Frontline is cool but also a flea and tick product. Frontier is cool but not especially clear to the general public.

Then you have stuff like Pro, Premium, Power...

Everyone - I'm always looking for ideas here because I've never gotten 100% excited for any one name.

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-29 13:00:59

At 8/29/17 10:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: If / when we rebrand supporter, what would you want it to be called?

Fairy godmother
numero uno
princess

i have no idea, thats what came to mind off the top of my head tho

None

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-29 22:06:06

At 8/27/17 08:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I would like to offer Stripe payments, it comes down to the additional integration time and how many more people would use it vs just using Paypal.

Speaking from eCommerce experience with both options, PayPal is only used on about 1 out of every 20 orders. Of course the audience here would be different than someone buying products but there is something to laziness of the user and a hatred of PayPal. Also.. Stripe accepts Bitcoin. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Updates, Thoughts, Ideas & Party 2017-08-30 07:53:56

At 8/29/17 10:06 PM, Masculine wrote:
At 8/27/17 08:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I would like to offer Stripe payments, it comes down to the additional integration time and how many more people would use it vs just using Paypal.
Speaking from eCommerce experience with both options, PayPal is only used on about 1 out of every 20 orders. Of course the audience here would be different than someone buying products but there is something to laziness of the user and a hatred of PayPal. Also.. Stripe accepts Bitcoin. ;)

I would love to accept Bitcoin... Stripe really feels like the way to go.

BBS Signature

$36 up front sounds fine. Prices do rise. Still feels well below the I'd-think-twice-about-it threshold, which might be... somewhere around $50. Anything less = OK! Cool news otherwise.

At 8/29/17 10:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone - I'm always looking for ideas here because I've never gotten 100% excited for any one name.

I still like Grounds Gold or Platinum, but alternate Supporter ideas hmm... Family, Big Brother, Double, Citizen, Gang Member (join the Gang Grounds? Grounds Gang?), Sponsor, Soldier, Tank Man (Thank Man? Part of the Think Tank? Tin Man?), Helper, Zombie, Write Hand, Player (Join the Game?), Good guy, Sidekick, Protagonist (Protankonist?), Tanker, Donor, Fuel, OG, NG, Specimen, Builder... or join the hive, the tree (become a Branch?), the mine (digging the site, ___?), the hive mine, the battlegrounds, the crew, the war machine, the creative nation, the machine... well, maybe something there leads somewhere. Still like Grounds/Gold/Platinum though.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature