00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Making Games, Animation & More

29,557 Views | 68 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-21 15:56:17

At 8/21/17 03:52 PM, Animator9 wrote: how will people upload flash games?

After 2020 if the game is still in SWF format, we might still accept it and make it available as a download. Otherwise everyone by 2020 should ideally be creating games in a way they can export as HTML5.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-21 18:23:55

Well, this is awesome

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-22 08:58:17

well 2020 is far away so

None

BBS Signature

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-24 20:39:43

Add Synfig and Papagayo to the list of animation software on the wiki.

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-25 07:17:17

I'm surprised that freeware paint.NET isn't mentioned on the Art Software page. It is an open-source fast and convenient raster editor with tons of great plugins. I'm using it for the last 5 years.

At 8/25/17 07:17 AM, Wolod wrote: I'm surprised that freeware paint.NET isn't mentioned on the Art Software page. It is an open-source fast and convenient raster editor with tons of great plugins. I'm using it for the last 5 years.

Paint.NET actually was there, it was just listed as "Paint - Another free alternative." I've updated it.

The Art Wiki could use some editing, to reduce total options and better rank them by quality.

Does anyone have an educated opinion on how we should rank Gimp, Krita, Paint.NET as free alternatives to Photoshop?

We also list Corel Painter ($399) and Art Rage ($25)... Worth keeping?

For sprite editing we have Pyxel Edit, Aseprite and GraphicsGale... is that too many to list or does each have individual strengths?

We have six pieces of software for making 3D models, have any of those completely fallen out of favor? Know of recent movies or popular games that have used particular software so we could note them?

BBS Signature

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-25 09:20:25

At 8/24/17 08:39 PM, juersh wrote: Add Synfig and Papagayo to the list of animation software on the wiki.

Added.

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/animation-resources

Does anyone have thoughts on how that software should be ordered, or anything that should no longer be there?

BBS Signature

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-11-08 09:46:47

An enlightening read. Even for those who know it's nice with the occasional overview, and new programs keep popping up. Good updates; summaries.

Also did not know about Adobe shutting down that 'ol Macromedia activation server and giving out the whole era of masterful MX software for free! :D Thanks for the head's up @IvanAlmighty !!!

At 8/18/17 05:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: If a converter is made that converts an SWF to HTML5, we would try to run that on all existing content. Similarly we might auto-generate EXE versions of all the SWF files, so people can play them instantly after downloading if that is the case.

If such a converter could bundle the Flash file (as I suppose it's done?) with the plugin version it was designed for that'd be awesome. It's a shame now how old games aimed at specific versions stop working when the version numbers get too far ahead, out of the predictable range, but with downloadable versions like this that wouldn't be an issue at all. Or the plugin somehow integrated with the site, so submissions can still play in-browser, also with alternations between major versions. A Flash plugin in JS, maybe. Hope someone figures out the best possible miracle cure there.

So dream about that with me and if you think you can spare $3 a month, subscribe today! Let's knock out 1,700 and never look back.

Though it actually seems like the numbers have declined quite a bit since this fine summer month... I shall dream! Suppose the New Year might give a boost of renewals...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2021-11-28 23:32:00

that epic moment when you want to make stuff like Neil Cicerega but have no money or an ounce of talent