Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

I'm gonna talk about some things that might be old news to some of you but illuminating to others. Time flies and people come and go so it's good to revisit these topics regularly.

If you're interested in getting into animation, the two most common tools used to make 2D animation are Adobe Animate (formerly Flash) and Toon Boom Harmony.

While web browsers are ending support for the Flash plugin, Adobe Animate isn't going away as an animation tool; you just won't upload your work in .swf format. If you have an SWF and need help converting it to a high quality MP4, we developed free software called Swivel for that.

@IvanAlmighty pointed out, Adobe made an old version of Flash available for FREE. This version might be old but it can do just about everything you've seen here on NG. Just be sure to convert your SWF with Swivel!

On the games front, there are some great tools out there that can export games to HTML5 (web) format as well as mobile, PC and console.

I've been especially excited about Construct 3 and anyone curious about making games should check it out right now, it runs right in your browser and doesn't require programming experience (try the tutorials). C3 is the most impressive browser-based application I've ever seen and I like what I've been able to do with it. It's in beta and gets better with every update.

Other solid options are Game Maker 2 and Unity 3D. Unity is especially good for making 3D games but has the bulkiest web exports, if you've ever noticed Unity games load slower on NG than other games.

Our wiki has more info on Animation Software and Game Dev Software & Frameworks. I actually just updated the Game Dev wiki, downgrading the section on Flash and bringing HTML5 tools up to the top.

We have a whole Audio section with sound editors, sequencers, synthesizers and royalty free music options. We can't host games and animation with unlicensed commercial music so please work with the amazing artists in the Audio Portal or check out those other options.

Finally there is a page for Art Software, where I just added Pyxel Edit and Aseprite.

Supporter Status

We're just six people away from 1,700 supporters! We hit that number once before, when this kaptainkristian video got people all nostalgic for NG. The bulk of those purchases were for one month so they expired long ago. Hopefully this time we'll STAY above 1,700.

This is why monthly recurring subscriptions are the most helpful; $3 one time is great but $3 every month really adds up as our supporter count grows. We actually took a hit when we introduced the one month option, since people who previously would have paid $25 for the year now often pay $3 for one month. We hope to make up for it long-term with people who keep the box checked to auto-renew. Getting to 10,000 subscribers would make NG better than ever, getting to 100,000 would completely transform the indie animation, gaming, art and music scene. I can SEE it, I think about it every day.

So dream about that with me and if you think you can spare $3 a month, subscribe today! Let's knock out 1,700 and never look back.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Nekoyoujo
Nekoyoujo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 16:43:53 Reply

I know that one day, we'll reach 2000 and stay.

Call me if you need me!
The life of zines and stickers part 1

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 16:46:51 Reply

At 8/18/17 04:43 PM, Nekoyoujo wrote: I know that one day, we'll reach 2000 and stay.

I'm looking forward to that!

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 16:51:45 Reply

At 8/18/17 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: Our wiki has more info on Animation Software and Game Dev Software & Frameworks. I actually just updated the Game Dev wiki, downgrading the section on Flash and bringing HTML5 tools up to the top.

There's also HaxeFlixel, which is Flixel but crossplatform, written in Haxe. It exports SWF, HTML5, mobile, desktop, etc. A lot of Ludum Dare games are made with it, and the upcoming Defender's Quest 2 uses it.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:00:29 Reply

At 8/18/17 04:51 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 8/18/17 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: Our wiki has more info on Animation Software and Game Dev Software & Frameworks. I actually just updated the Game Dev wiki, downgrading the section on Flash and bringing HTML5 tools up to the top.
There's also HaxeFlixel, which is Flixel but crossplatform, written in Haxe. It exports SWF, HTML5, mobile, desktop, etc. A lot of Ludum Dare games are made with it, and the upcoming Defender's Quest 2 uses it.

Good call, I'm adding that to the Wiki now, I should have added that ages ago.

If anyone else has good suggestions for this post or the wiki, let me know!

BBS Signature
JunkYardAnimations
JunkYardAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:12:39 Reply

Does Adobe Animate support any type of AS?? I loaded my point and click game and it couldn't read my GoToAndPlay ActionScript code.

straberrykiler6789
straberrykiler6789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate

At 8/18/17 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: you just won't upload your work in .swf format. If you have an SWF and need help converting it to a high quality MP4, we developed free software called Swivel for that.

when is the deadline for uploading SWF's we could have a last few "flash" movies for old time sake before the end.
Easter eggs secret hidden parts and interactive elements are something we are never going to see again once the Rubicon is fully crossed
needs a proper tribute send off you cant just pull the plug without that!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:14:51 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:13 PM, straberrykiler6789 wrote:
At 8/18/17 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: you just won't upload your work in .swf format. If you have an SWF and need help converting it to a high quality MP4, we developed free software called Swivel for that.
when is the deadline for uploading SWF's we could have a last few "flash" movies for old time sake before the end.
Easter eggs secret hidden parts and interactive elements are something we are never going to see again once the Rubicon is fully crossed
needs a proper tribute send off you cant just pull the plug without that!

We won't stop hosting the Flash we have so it's hard to say right now if we'll have a cut off for new uploads or if we'll just let people keep uploading them indefinitely, even if end users need to download them to play.

BBS Signature
carbonlad
carbonlad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:26:19 Reply

I really hope somebody develops a way to easily convert existing flash games into something else. Seems like a pipe dream, but I'm really worried about such a big part of internet gaming history just disappearing in the next few years.

Welldoneshellfish
Welldoneshellfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator

At 8/18/17 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you're interested in getting into animation, the two most common tools used to make 2D animation are Adobe Animate (formerly Flash) and Toon Boom Harmony.

Let's not pretend that either opening your wallet or being a scurvy pirate are the only options for those that wish to try animating; OpenToonz and Pencil2D are two solid options for those that wish to attempt to animate. All that you need to delve into digital animation is a computer.

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

https://www.pencil2d.org/

IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Animator
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:30:02 Reply

Also good to note is people can get flash for free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXvZUqoNBNI

BBS Signature
Welldoneshellfish
Welldoneshellfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:31:20 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:30 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote: Also good to note is people can get flash for free!

Right; that too.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:33:53 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:28 PM, Welldoneshellfish wrote: Let's not pretend that either opening your wallet or being a scurvy pirate are the only options for those that wish to try animating; OpenToonz and Pencil2D are two solid options for those that wish to attempt to animate. All that you need to delve into digital animation is a computer.

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

https://www.pencil2d.org/

There are free options including OpenToonz in the wiki but I don't know of examples off-hand of much content on the site that has used them. We had an OpenToonz jam when it came out and people had a hard time with it, although I get the impression it has been getting a lot easier to work with. I've added Pencil 2D to the wiki now too, let me know if you have examples of animation on NG that used either of these and I'll link them from the wiki too.

BBS Signature
straberrykiler6789
straberrykiler6789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate

At 8/18/17 05:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: We won't stop hosting the Flash we have so it's hard to say right now if we'll have a cut off for new uploads or if we'll just let people keep uploading them indefinitely, even if end users need to download them to play.

if flash conversions become commonplace having the original swf there would be a way of knowing what is a bug in the converter and whats a bug in the authors code especially when older games may be candidates for such conversion.

would it be possible to have a converter on the upload page or somebody running the program and adding it to the submission like is done on old movies here

At 8/18/17 05:26 PM, KupaMan wrote: I really hope somebody develops a way to easily convert existing flash games into something else. Seems like a pipe dream, but I'm really worried about such a big part of internet gaming history just disappearing in the next few years.

we have HTML we have SWF we need a missing link to use them in browsers without flash
is there was a way to code a flash player using features present in in HTML 5 or HTML 6 potentially we could have the swf work as normal without the flash software,

some bloat and larger file size yes but consider the fact we stream 500mb videos for a minuet of animation something unthinkable in years past

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:39:33 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:30 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote: Also good to note is people can get flash for free!

Good call, adding that to post so it goes out in the email version.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 17:41:42 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:37 PM, straberrykiler6789 wrote:
At 8/18/17 05:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: We won't stop hosting the Flash we have so it's hard to say right now if we'll have a cut off for new uploads or if we'll just let people keep uploading them indefinitely, even if end users need to download them to play.
if flash conversions become commonplace having the original swf there would be a way of knowing what is a bug in the converter and whats a bug in the authors code especially when older games may be candidates for such conversion.

would it be possible to have a converter on the upload page or somebody running the program and adding it to the submission like is done on old movies here

If a converter is made that converts an SWF to HTML5, we would try to run that on all existing content. Similarly we might auto-generate EXE versions of all the SWF files, so people can play them instantly after downloading if that is the case.

BBS Signature
scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 18:12:51 Reply

I'd love to try to get back into game design, but trying to remember/re-learn ActionScript had been... challenging at best.

Any recommendations for a program with an easier learning curve regarding programming?

Also, hi Newgrounds!

I used to be relevant.

straberrykiler6789
straberrykiler6789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate

At 8/18/17 05:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
If a converter is made that converts an SWF to HTML5, we would try to run that on all existing content. Similarly we might auto-generate EXE versions of all the SWF files, so people can play them instantly after downloading if that is the case.

Converting the flash to a mobile app or having a newgrounds portal app with a built in flashplayer would be a game changer it would be the Steam of mobile games since 98% of mobile games are like early 2000s flash games.

the problem is web browsers not supporting flash and not flash player so this would resolve some issues and there are already tools to make a mobile app from an swf.

would probably only be possible on android though since apple would never let this happen
a flash player for this does exist and the security issues are negated by malicious flashes being removed from the portal anyway.

Making Games, Animation & More

dietzribi
dietzribi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 18:59:52 Reply

Are you sure that's legal? I mean yeah the serial is right there on their website but still... Might not be legal.

KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 19:00:10 Reply

Don't forget Twine!! :]

BBS Signature
octopus58
octopus58
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 19:17:30 Reply

I might not be the most active user on NG, but I really want this community to stay alive and productive; it is the spawn of so many good animations/games and just generally ideas that people love today. Hope we reach 2000 soon!

I am a multimedia developer who makes music, programs, games, art, and much more. Currently working on Guppy's Quest since 2013!

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 20:04:42 Reply

Supporter Status

We're just six people away from 1,700 supporters! We hit that number once before, when this kaptainkristian video got people all nostalgic for NG. The bulk of those purchases were for one month so they expired long ago. Hopefully this time we'll STAY above 1,700.

This is why monthly recurring subscriptions are the most helpful; $3 one time is great but $3 every month really adds up as our supporter count grows. We actually took a hit when we introduced the one month option, since people who previously would have paid $25 for the year now often pay $3 for one month. We hope to make up for it long-term with people who keep the box checked to auto-renew. Getting to 10,000 subscribers would make NG better than ever,

I'd imagine until NG is a viable sharing platform, where people can watch videos, full screen, on thier phone, tablet or console. people are just going to donate when they're feeling nostalgic.
People like bullet points.. .search function is great.. but what's next?.."better than ever" just isn't detailed enough for a casual user to subscribe.. Right now they're just 'donating'

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 20:27:48 Reply

At 8/18/17 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
If anyone else has good suggestions for this post or the wiki, let me know!

I think mentioning @kenney and his seemingly endless game assets is worth a shot for the post and maybe even for the wiki. I lost track which link leads to the free access to the assets packs and which lead to the donate page with the "all at once" download. Mentioning that kenney is a cool guy for making them free to use - even commercially - seems appropriate. So: kenney is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
theadhx
theadhx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 20:32:43 Reply

You know what, this is actually a pretty helpful way for me to start! All I need is my own computer :P

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to go kill myself.

FloorAesthetics
FloorAesthetics
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 21:38:55 Reply

I know I've only been here for a few months but I can totally feel the amount of creativity, innovation and community that this site has. I honestly regret not picking up my old tablet sooner because I probably missed out on so much time with such a great community.

I'll need to grab the supporter status soon, the amount of work that goes into this site really shouldn't go unnoticed.

lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 21:51:59 Reply

At 8/18/17 06:12 PM, scottmale24 wrote: I'd love to try to get back into game design, but trying to remember/re-learn ActionScript had been... challenging at best.

Any recommendations for a program with an easier learning curve regarding programming?

Also, hi Newgrounds!

Hi there.
I've been using Stencyl which lets you program using a visual UI that makes use of "lego" type blocks instead of code.
It's great even if you don't know actual code, it uses Haxe which I hear is easier than AS, and it lets you see what the actual code is for what you've made.

ZombieMonkey
ZombieMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 23:19:41 Reply

I've been dabbling with game maker. Does Newgrounds support Game Maker games now?

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

segamegaplague
segamegaplague
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games, Animation & More 2017-08-18 23:20:16 Reply

Thanks for believing in the people Tom...

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate

What's the solution for Flash games apart from just downloading them? I know that there are tools to converting an SWF to HTML5, but that's chancy and can cause bugs that weren't there before. Maybe after conversion, someone could modify the converted HTML5 game to fix the bugs, letting the converter doing the footwork while the modder fixes anything that breaks after conversion. Would it be better to just decompile the file and loot all the assets and recreate it from scratch?

There's also the question of what we do with Flash games that weren't particularly good to begin with, ones that can't actually be beaten because they weren't programmed well, would there even be a point in making an exact conversion if it's crap anyway, or would we reserve the option to fix the things that were wrong with it when it was still an SWF file?

Furthermore, for the sake of converting games to HTML5, would it be necessary to learn ActrionScript and decompile the SWF to observe what the script actually does for the sake of mimicking it as closely as possible in HTML5? I'm asking because converting these games to another platform appears to have shaky proprietary implications.

Since I brought up the topic of converting SWF files to HTML5, could this be done to Flash movies? It seems like doing so, if successful, would save time and bandwidth if the vectors in Flash could just be converted to whatever HTML5 uses as an equivalent instead of lossy video conversions. Would converting a Flash movie to HTML5 retain the same file size?