00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KouteiFK just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Are Canadians Americans too?

1,844 Views | 35 Replies

Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-12 14:59:12

A friend of mine recently tried to argue that the term "America" could be considered a blanket term for the entire continent of North America, and therefore it was valid for Canadians to consider themselves to be Americans as well...kinda like how Germans, Brits, Poles, etc. are all Europeans.

What do you think? Too much of a stretch? Is the term "American" exclusive to the United States?

Sound off, New Worlders!

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-12 15:19:23

At 8/12/17 02:59 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: A friend of mine recently tried to argue that the term "America" could be considered a blanket term for the entire continent of North America,

Why not North and South Americas? They're both American. Why not islands too?

Sound off, New Worlders!

Old-worlders are here too.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

At 8/12/17 03:19 PM, satanbrain wrote: Why not North and South Americas? They're both American. Why not islands too?

Good point! I appreciate your perspective.

@yurgenburgen Yeah, that makes sense. As contentious as American identity is in the States, self-identification is ultimately the best way of assigning labels.

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-12 17:23:35

At 8/12/17 04:35 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: does that mean Mexicans are Americans too?

Why of course...

not

Are Eskimos Americans too?

Phimosis

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-12 18:32:03

At 8/12/17 04:35 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: does that mean Mexicans are Americans too?

Not if that wall has anything to say about it.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-12 19:48:50

At 8/12/17 06:32 PM, thenoodge wrote:
Not if that wall has anything to say about it.

this^

by extension Canadians are not Americans but at best Snow Mexicans
inhabitants separated by sea (except Hawaii since it's a state, of course) are not Americans but Tropical Mexicans

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-13 01:36:08

I like to think the blanket term is "westerner" or something like that. Even though we're in North America i think Americans always applied to USA.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-13 05:55:18

Canadians are more american than Americans.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 08:28:03

Absolutely, YES! Canada and Mexico and 34 more countries are Americans.

A continent is a large area of the land on Earth that is joined together, all America is joined like that, you don´t need to leave your bike if you ride the whole continent, you need a ship or a plane to go to a different Continent.
But let me explain to the people who are WRONG

The truth is that America was colonized by Spaniards who called the land AMERICA after Americo Vespucci back in 1492, more than 100 years later the british colonization of America began in 1607, English translation of America is used for convenience of a term already preset.

in less separatist attitudes worldwide there´s 5 continents, for example the Olympics which seeks the union of nations, on the "Olympic rings". The rings represent five world continents, Africa, Asia, America, Europe and Australia, of course in the separatist attitudes, classicism and segregation is necessary to teach the 7 continent style dividing the world in Asia, Antarctica, Africa, Europe, Autralia, North America and South America mainly the United States thinks so, most of them do not even think about sharing the title of their land to anyone, that´s why Donald want to build a Wall to keep the rest of america out of USA, it goes with the idea of there´s no Global Warming and the freedom to make Racist demonstration to make "The Yankee part of America great again".

37 american countries believe America is a whole continent, 2 american countries believe only USA is America. Only one American Country drop atomic bombs to master geography.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 15:28:34

A lot of people in North and South America do call themselves American because of this. I have friends in South America and it's very common for everyone in their area to use that as a general term.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 15:45:32

At 8/14/17 10:36 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/12/17 07:48 PM, S3C wrote: by extension Canadians are not Americans but at best Snow Mexicans
inhabitants separated by sea are not Americans but Tropical Mexicans
if Canadians are Snow Mexicans and Hawaiians are Tropical Mexicans what does that make Alaskans?

Either Moose Mexicans or Igloo Mexicans

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 15:51:54

I honestly don't care whether Canadians, Mexicans, et al call themselves Americans because Old World explorers decided to call it America, yet they never did refer to themselves as Americans when the colonial powers left, so this a totally moot point and is nothing more than a smartass comment.

Clearly, this was either meant to be a joke, or simply doesn't care for their national identity, whatever that consists of.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 16:21:00

At 8/14/17 03:51 PM, orangebomb wrote: this a totally moot point and is nothing more than a smartass comment.

Well, I wasn't trying to come off as a smartass. I just know that national identity is important to a lot of people, so I was interested what the community thought of the idea.

BBS Signature

At 8/14/17 04:21 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 8/14/17 03:51 PM, orangebomb wrote: this a totally moot point and is nothing more than a smartass comment.
Well, I wasn't trying to come off as a smartass. I just know that national identity is important to a lot of people, so I was interested what the community thought of the idea.

Of course you weren't! You're just holding a bit of innocent discussion and a little homespun intolerance has landed in the thread. Business as usual, I'm afraid.

The fact of the matter is that, like @Munguia and others have already stated, the term "American" has been adopted by not only those who live in the United States, but also those who reside in Canada and South America, as well. While those from Canada don't seem to mind being called "Canadians," I have observed that the term "South American" can be taken as an affront when someone prefers to simply be referred to as "American."

Interesting observations, and there's nothing wrong with talking things over with others who may have unique perspectives and insights. What may seem like a moot point at first glance, may indeed be more nuanced that one might think.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 17:01:05

At 8/14/17 04:53 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Interesting observations, and there's nothing wrong with talking things over with others who may have unique perspectives and insights. What may seem like a moot point at first glance, may indeed be more nuanced that one might think.

Thanks for your perspective, Chrono! Seems like everything is a moot point now-a-days! XD

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 17:46:12

At 8/14/17 04:53 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Of course you weren't! You're just holding a bit of innocent discussion and a little homespun intolerance has landed in the thread. Business as usual, I'm afraid.

Ok, perhaps I should clarify, I didn't say that the OP was a smartass, I said that conversations of being called "Americans because of the continent they live on vs. what they're normally called in their homeland" often are smartass in nature. How exactly is this intolerant?

The fact of the matter is that, like @Munguia and others have already stated, the term "American" has been adopted by not only those who live in the United States, but also those who reside in Canada and South America, as well.

Except that here's the thing, they don't normally view themselves as North Americans because they never really think of this outside of jokes. If you ask Canadians if they are Americans because of the continent they happen to be on is called North America, you're going to get seriously puzzled looks at best. How is this any different than if you say to Australians are Asians (who aren't of Asian descent) because some people call that landmass Australiasia.

IDK if I'm missing something on this conversation, so if anyone can tell me, that'll be nice.

Interesting observations, and there's nothing wrong with talking things over with others who may have unique perspectives and insights. What may seem like a moot point at first glance, may indeed be more nuanced that one might think.

I never knew that semantics over national/continental identity was this important, could've fooled me.

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 18:03:50

At 8/14/17 05:46 PM, orangebomb wrote: I never knew that semantics over national/continental identity was this important, could've fooled me.

Then, out of sheer morbid curiosity, why did you decide to respond to this thread at all?

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 19:13:32

At 8/14/17 10:36 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/12/17 07:48 PM, S3C wrote:
At 8/12/17 06:32 PM, thenoodge wrote:
by extension Canadians are not Americans but at best Snow Mexicans
inhabitants separated by sea (except Hawaii since it's a state, of course) are not Americans but Tropical Mexicans
if Canadians are Snow Mexicans and Hawaiians are Tropical Mexicans what does that make Alaskans?

i stated that Hawaii are not Tropical Mexicans. once you become part of the U.S. you get promoted from Mexican status.

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-14 23:07:00

At 8/14/17 06:03 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 8/14/17 05:46 PM, orangebomb wrote: I never knew that semantics over national/continental identity was this important, could've fooled me.
Then, out of sheer morbid curiosity, why did you decide to respond to this thread at all?

Honestly, partly because I think this thread was going to turn into a joke as these conversations usually turn out in General, and maybe the fact that calling someone from North/South America an American is idiotic, and in name only. Or, maybe I just feel like trolling today, who knows?

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, (contradictory as it might sound) but playing semantics over calling someone where they live when they probably don't even use it themselves in 99% of conversations sounds like a waste of time. Take it however you will.

BBS Signature

So.. Someone from China establishing himself in Canada would be a Chinese Snow Mexican ?

Are Canadians Americans too?

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 01:01:19

At 8/15/17 12:03 AM, Gahrek wrote: So.. Someone from China establishing himself in Canada would be a Chinese Snow Mexican ?

absolutely, but if they bring chocolate milk with twist caps then they can be upgraded to honorary Chinese Snow Americans

BBS Signature

Im from Costa Rica a small country in the middle of America, If someone ask me where i´m from, i call my self COSTARRICAN, i never call my self american even if i am because i never call my self earthling, it´s pretty obvious. it´s like I´m human, are you? when someone ask me where i´m from he/she is asking about my country
if you ask a French he say: I´m French, but never I´m european european, the others are south erupeans.

but the whole mess is with USA citizens,
some schools, books and internet say North America is from Alaska to Colombia, the rest is South America
Some other schools, books and internet say North America is from Alaska to Mexico, the rest is South America
some schools, books and internet say America is only USA, the rest is South America
therespectfull part of USA thinks about North America, Central America and South America

I´m from Central America, i called my self COSTARRICAN, another American from Central America.
But if you see Jurasic Park they called us Mexicans from Costa Rica, if you see CNN we are SouthAmericans, i you see Fox we are Central Americans, if you see other weird media i´m Northamerican.

i´m not joking look this link https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/countries-of-north-america.html

But it´s an USA Citizen thang
Your president believes there´s no Global Warming, he also believes in something called "Miss Universe" he seeks the whole universe for beautiful besides the fact he Wants a BIG WALL to keep the "Bad hombres" and "Violators" out of "America", it remainds me Germany with their Berlin wall back into time that separated west from east the country. or Korea After the 2nd war with an agreement between USA and Russia they broke in North Korea and south Korea.

There´s 2 kind of persons in this discusion

Unity people: who look for therms that joins us

Separatist people: who dont respect others identity

one last question

is Obama American or just African American, is Jennifer López American or just Latin American? both born in USA

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 09:35:55

At 8/12/17 02:59 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: A friend of mine recently tried to argue that the term "America" could be considered a blanket term for the entire continent of North America, and therefore it was valid for Canadians to consider themselves to be Americans as well...kinda like how Germans, Brits, Poles, etc. are all Europeans.

What do you think? Too much of a stretch? Is the term "American" exclusive to the United States?

Sound off, New Worlders!

America was named after Amerigo Vespucci, who "discovered" that the lands west of Europe beyond the Atlantic ocean went further north and south than just the east coast of what is now the USA. In fact, both the continents of North and South America were considered one land mass.

Our nation here is the "United States of America" , which implies that there are other "states" not part of that unity. These states are, in fact, other countries on the land mass known as North America.

We call Germans and French "Europeans", because they live on the continent of Europe; likewise, Canadians and Mexicans can be called "Americans" as well. We just happen to have the name of the continent in the name of our nation.

The British call us "Yanks" (short for Yankee) - which is actually based on a semi-derogatory term that the Dutch called the British colonists centuries ago - but now it's used to describe someone from "the States" rather than Canada or Mexico.

So, technically, everyone on both the North and South American continents are "Americans", but only those living in the USA are "Yankees". Maybe we need a more exclusive name than "Americans"?

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 09:55:39

At 8/12/17 02:59 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: A friend of mine recently tried to argue that the term "America" could be considered a blanket term for the entire continent of North America...

Why not South America?

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 20:38:06

Thanks for your input!

At 8/15/17 07:26 AM, Munguia wrote: therespectfull part of USA thinks about North America, Central America and South America

Okay...does that mean that it's not "respectful" to say Costa Rica is part of South America. And, if so, why not?

I'm not trying to challenge your opinion or anything; I'm just curious. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 21:15:23

At 8/15/17 08:38 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Thanks for your input!

At 8/15/17 07:26 AM, Munguia wrote: therespectfull part of USA thinks about North America, Central America and South America
Okay...does that mean that it's not "respectful" to say Costa Rica is part of South America. And, if so, why not?

I'm not trying to challenge your opinion or anything; I'm just curious. :)

Yes, the people who respects how we call our selves are Respectful to that fact, im got nothing against South America, it just that i´m not one,and Southamericans dont take me as one of them, so why you think is respectful to call someone something he/she is not, but what i got in common with South Americans is we both are Americans, like Canadians and USA citizens.

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-15 21:29:08

At 8/15/17 09:15 PM, Munguia wrote: Yes, the people who respects how we call our selves are Respectful to that fact, im got nothing against South America, it just that i´m not one,and Southamericans dont take me as one of them, so why you think is respectful to call someone something he/she is not, but what i got in common with South Americans is we both are Americans, like Canadians and USA citizens.

I mean...if you consider yourself a Central American and not a South American, that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's disrespectful to classify people otherwise.

Surely there are some Costa Ricans who prefer other labels besides "Central Americans," no?

Even Wikipedia defines "Central America" as "the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent".

BBS Signature

At 8/15/17 09:29 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 8/15/17 09:15 PM, Munguia wrote: Yes, the people who respects how we call our selves are Respectful to that fact, im got nothing against South America, it just that i´m not one,and Southamericans dont take me as one of them, so why you think is respectful to call someone something he/she is not, but what i got in common with South Americans is we both are Americans, like Canadians and USA citizens.
I mean...if you consider yourself a Central American and not a South American, that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's disrespectful to classify people otherwise.

Surely there are some Costa Ricans who prefer other labels besides "Central Americans," no?

Even Wikipedia defines "Central America" as "the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent".

Dont taint the logic :)

Its disrespectful because is not on you to choose over the others, if someone call him self John but you like to call him Joan and you know he doesnt like it...
Even the Wikipedia defines Central America " in the geographic region within the continent between North America and South America", of course our Wikipedia in spanish for costarricans, a version wich it made in Central America, Official definition, Centro America says what Centro America is. right?
And yes there are some Costa Ricans who prefer other labels besides "Central Americans," I'm not speculating, I know them, i heard "Mesoamericans" "Middle Americans" "Americans from the Center" "Isthmic Americans", "Americans From volcanoes", "Latin americans", "Ibero americans" and one of my favories MAYAS but here in Centro America people dont called their selves "South Americans or North Americans", if you don´t know, now you know.

but i bealive in

EQUALITY: We are all Americans
DIVERSITY: You are whatever you want (dont forget, me too)
IDENTITY: I respect what you are, respect what i am

I dont like any race rally, we got more in common

Me, more than central american i call my self Munguía, but if you ask...

by the way Did you find what you were looking for with this post?
Are canadians americans to you?

Response to Are Canadians Americans too? 2017-08-17 11:19:00

At 8/17/17 08:22 AM, Munguia wrote: Its disrespectful because is not on you to choose over the others, if someone call him self John but you like to call him Joan and you know he doesnt like it...

Okay, maybe I worded this wrong. If you consider yourself a Central American, I'll call you a Central American. But that doesn't mean that all of the people you consider to be Central Americans consider themselves Central Americans. It's like you said: some are Isthmic Americans, Mesoamericans, etc. So I'm still not sure I agree that it's "disrespectful" to, for example, refer to someone as a Mesoamerican just because they prefer the term "Central American," unless of course you know it gets on their nerves. You said that:

therespectfull part of USA thinks about North America, Central America and South America

...but I think you can think about it differently and still be "respectful."

That said, I respect your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to explain your perspective to me.

And yes, I think I got what I was looking for in creating this thread. I think that Canadians are Americans in the collective sense, but if a Canadian prefers to think of himself as a Canadian (or Quebecer, or Ontarian, etc.) as opposed to an American, that's perfectly valid too. Nationalistic identities are pervasive, and at the end of the day the fact that "American" is used as the national identity of someone from the USA doesn't mean that it can't also mean something more than that.

BBS Signature