00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petepan09 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Does anybody know about TVPaint?

380 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just curious
I know all of you who've been on Newgrounds use Adobe animate CC.
Yes, I am aware this site is built and known for flash games and animations.
but I'm just curious if you all know about the program.

At 8/8/17 07:40 PM, Chalk5oda2oy wrote: Just curious
I know all of you who've been on Newgrounds use Adobe animate CC.
Yes, I am aware this site is built and known for flash games and animations.
but I'm just curious if you all know about the program.

I do. It's great for frame-by-frame bitmap based traditional animation, and has nice storyboarding built-in (at least, the professional version does). Very different compared to Flash, which is primarily vector oriented. TVPaint has a long history (25 years!), and is used in various 2d animation films and TV shows.

It's a solid app, has a very nice timeline, and is completely focused on more traditional 2d hand-drawn animation - with options to scan in pencil sketches and peg support.

The pro version is a bit expensive, though (around 1200 euros, I think?) The standard version is around 500 euros, but misses the great storyboarding... No Xsheet either. And a really odd omission in Standard is that layers lack blend modes (only in Pro!). No camera tools in standard, and many of the more interesting effects are removed in the Standard edition.

Krita and ClipStudio are similar to TVPaint Standard - the same type of bitmap painting tools, frame-by-frame timeline, onion-skinning,... In my opinion the brush tools in Krita are better than the ones in TVPaint, but TVPaint offers a superior timeline, and overall animation tools.

Effects are pretty good, and work with an "effects stack": no nodal compositing or effects, unfortunately, like (Open)Toonz or Toonboom Premium. In my opinion you might be better off doing the final effects and/or compositing in a third-party app such as BlackMagic Fusion 9, After Effects, Nuke, or even OpenToonz.

Krita and ClipStudio, while not able to compete in terms of animation timeline or production features, do offer more advanced digital painting tools, and could provide a similar experience when combined with a secondary effects/compositing app. And/or combine with OpenToonz, etc. But you would have to work in several apps in your pipeline.

Anyway, TVPaint Pro is arguably the "best" all-in 2d bitmap animation app on the market for a complete workflow - and one of the industry standards in traditionally hand-drawn 2d animation. I know animators who swear by TVPaint Pro for their work. The storyboarding/animatics is really nice, btw. And TVPaint Pro is entirely production-proven.

Response to Does anybody know about TVPaint? 2017-08-09 00:50:52

I'm also swear to TVPaint, however, I'm just a beginner. A lot of animations like Adam and Dog an Oscar winner film from a Disney animator were made in this program. You got all the great infos you should know about TVPaint in the previous comment, I can't tell you more.

Response to Does anybody know about TVPaint? 2017-08-09 06:14:23

At 8/9/17 12:50 AM, Jevlin wrote: I'm also swear to TVPaint, however, I'm just a beginner. A lot of animations like Adam and Dog an Oscar winner film from a Disney animator were made in this program. You got all the great infos you should know about TVPaint in the previous comment, I can't tell you more.

Ok. Looks like I'm not the only one.