00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need some new studio monitors...

1,048 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What are the best ones in your guys' opinion. I've got some, but apparently my mixes are coming out shit compared to what I hear. So let me know please? And thank you.

Give me the best bang for your buck and best budget ones according to your opinion.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-01 12:05:58

I can only give my experience on what I've got, but anyway, I've got a pair of KRK Rokit 5s, and they're pretty great. I'm also using a subwoofer to fill out the low end a bit, because with 5" drivers you don't really get there.

The only annoyance is that if you're playing music too quietly, you get under the power saving threshold, and they just switch themselves off.

As for your mix, you might want to look into the acoustics of your room as well; if you've got speakers stuck in a corner, that might amplify certain frequencies and swallow others, affect how you perceive your mix. It's usually a good idea to listen to your track on multiple sound systems (studio monitors, shitty earphones, phone speakers, car radio) to try and come up with a mix that works everywhere.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-01 19:10:18

I know a lot of people like the Yamaha HS series (HS5, HS7, HS8) as 'honest' monitors. The HS5s run around $400/pair. I have KRK VXT8s. They are very enjoyable to listen to but I do prefer to check my mixes on a couple other speaker systems too, since I wouldn't really consider them to be 'honest'.

As Mich mentioned, room acoustics play a huge role in how accurately you are hearing what the monitors are producing. At the very least you may want some absorption material on either side of your mixing position to eliminate immediate reflections/cancellations off the walls. Going further, you could add bass traps in each of the corners, diffusers in the rear, an absorption cloud above your listening position...really depends how far you wanna go with it and what your room looks like

BBS Signature

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 10:15:55

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's something I find a bit off about resorting to new equipment to get better results. I know that monitors matter hugely, but on the other hand, I've also heard amazing mixes done on headphones or terrible monitors. In the mean time, it might be helpful to reference your music on multiple sources, even if it's your phone, TV, car, headphones or earphones. I suppose that all I'm saying is to be honest with yourself and know whether or not monitors are to blame here!

PS. I haven't listened to your music and I'm on my phone at the moment, so maybe your mixes are already absolutely killer and you're just trying to step it up to a new level! Hope you get some great advice here :)

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 10:35:41

For budget the best and most accurate you can get is probably the JBL LSR305's they are better and way more flat than the KRK's that everyone gets, which lack hi end and have too much bass response. Your mixes will probably sound like crap when you first hear them on these monitors but that's a good thing! For the price you can't beat them.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 10:52:59

At 8/2/17 10:35 AM, Joey4Track wrote: For budget the best and most accurate you can get is probably the JBL LSR305's they are better and way more flat than the KRK's that everyone gets, which lack hi end and have too much bass response. Your mixes will probably sound like crap when you first hear them on these monitors but that's a good thing! For the price you can't beat them.

That sounds like exactly the kind of speakers I'm looking for. I make music that sounds a bit older and thus don't need something that emphasizes the bass too much. Every review I look at for these things say that they are the goldilocks of their price range.

Questions...Do they come with an output port for headphones? I would like to be able to plug in my Sonys to this thing when I need to mix while everyone is asleep.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 11:05:44

No, studio monitors don't typically have headphone outs so you will just have to jack into your audio interface at night ;)

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 11:09:27

At 8/2/17 10:15 AM, McGorilla42 wrote: PS. I haven't listened to your music and I'm on my phone at the moment, so maybe your mixes are already absolutely killer and you're just trying to step it up to a new level! Hope you get some great advice here :)

Please do listen. I need to know what issues are arising.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 11:09:57

At 8/2/17 11:05 AM, Joey4Track wrote: No, studio monitors don't typically have headphone outs so you will just have to jack into your audio interface at night ;)

Alright then. Thank you.

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 12:34:55

At 8/2/17 11:09 AM, TheDukeofJuke wrote:
At 8/2/17 10:15 AM, McGorilla42 wrote: PS. I haven't listened to your music and I'm on my phone at the moment, so maybe your mixes are already absolutely killer and you're just trying to step it up to a new level! Hope you get some great advice here :)
Please do listen. I need to know what issues are arising.

Oh! I actually have listened to a bunch of your stuff and actually commented on it :) It's actually pretty great so maybe you do need to take the next step and upgrade those monitors!

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to I need some new studio monitors... 2017-08-02 14:11:01

At 8/2/17 12:34 PM, McGorilla42 wrote: Oh! I actually have listened to a bunch of your stuff and actually commented on it :) It's actually pretty great so maybe you do need to take the next step and upgrade those monitors!

Oh, that's right! Thank you for that.