00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

know game engines for HTML5 games?

1,787 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I decided I wanted to learn programming and I did some basic classes for html5, CSS, and javascript but I think using a game engine (example: phaser) would be the right step the problem is that I dont know which one would be good for a programming noob like me so I would gladly accept any suggestions. Thanks

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-08-05 10:28:55

Not exactly HTML5, but it does Webgl.
Unity. It allows you to code in Javascript, although I suggest using C# as it's easy to pick up with their code hints.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-08-05 15:04:25

I thought nobody was even going to notice this post so I'm really thankful that you gave me some tips.
I'm going to check out c# since I heard a lot of people say it's pretty good thanks.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-24 09:51:53

At 7/28/17 11:48 AM, PeterMX wrote: So I decided I wanted to learn programming and I did some basic classes for html5, CSS, and javascript but I think using a game engine (example: phaser) would be the right step the problem is that I dont know which one would be good for a programming noob like me so I would gladly accept any suggestions. Thanks

Game Maker Studio is also a good one to try!

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-24 12:13:07

Game Maker Studio is also a good one to try!

Yeah, they've said good things about it but I forgot to tell that I wanted something free or gamemaker is free?. But thanks, I will check it out later.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-24 19:35:52

Unreal Engine 4 can publish to HTML5 and it's free up to $3,000.00 in revenue, after which there is a 5% royalty, so if you don't charge for the game you don't pay anything and even if you do and don't make much you still won't pay anything.

The Unity Engine also has a free version which can also publish to HTML5.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-24 22:50:25

At 10/24/17 07:35 PM, Diki wrote: Unreal Engine 4 can publish to HTML5 and it's free up to $3,000.00 in revenue, after which there is a 5% royalty, so if you don't charge for the game you don't pay anything and even if you do and don't make much you still won't pay anything.

The Unity Engine also has a free version which can also publish to HTML5.

Thanks for the reply!
I heard really good things for unity, it's definetly one of the engines I'll check out.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-30 00:13:07

LibGDX will also spit out a html5 game and it's free though it uses Java

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-30 01:13:50

At 10/30/17 12:13 AM, ndnninja15 wrote: LibGDX will also spit out a html5 game and it's free though it uses Java

Thanks but i that a library or an engine?

I want to start with an engine because I hear they're easier to learn

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-10-30 21:35:24

I guess it can go either way but probably be called a framework. Yeah it's kind of low level stuff so if you're wanting to write less code I would probably pick something else.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-11-01 01:27:22

Still thank you for answering.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-11-11 16:12:13

There's a handy little wiki on the site with a nice list of engines and frameworks: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/game-dev-resources

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-11-12 11:13:22

At 11/11/17 04:12 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: There's a handy little wiki on the site with a nice list of engines and frameworks: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/game-dev-resources

thanks, I'll definetly go check it out

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-12-10 19:42:09

I've used all these engines though usually I go back to my own engine or writing things from scratch.

I recommend Unity over Unreal but I haven't used the LATEST Unreal and I hear more about it lately so it may have improved.

I DEFINITELY recommend learning C# well as it's a beautiful language. Years of using C++ and ignoring Java and Python and C# really kept me apart from some amazing experiencii.

And I can't recommend Construct enough. It's fantastic for beginners.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-12-11 01:05:28

Last time I checked Unreal's webgl games only work in 64bit browsers.

Unity has a lot of tutorials, significantly more than any JS frameworks like Phaser or Pixi.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-12-12 05:51:39

Unity is pretty awesome... You can use Javascript or C#

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-12-13 12:21:01

At 12/10/17 07:42 PM, sharpnova wrote: I've used all these engines though usually I go back to my own engine or writing things from scratch.

I recommend Unity over Unreal but I haven't used the LATEST Unreal and I hear more about it lately so it may have improved.

I DEFINITELY recommend learning C# well as it's a beautiful language. Years of using C++ and ignoring Java and Python and C# really kept me apart from some amazing experiencii.

And I can't recommend Construct enough. It's fantastic for beginners.

Thanks for replying. Over the last days I found out about another engine called Godot, which has been pretty good for a beginner like me, I'm considering switching to Unity once I become more skilled.
Version 3.0 of Godot will include support for C# so it will be a Nice warm up for unity

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2017-12-13 12:23:58

At 12/12/17 05:51 AM, RoboRick wrote: Unity is pretty awesome... You can use Javascript or C#

Of course. I will start to learn C# soon since I heard it's more usefull than javascript, thanks for recomendación.

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2018-01-16 21:29:34

At 12/13/17 12:21 PM, PeterMX wrote: Thanks for replying. Over the last days I found out about another engine called Godot, which has been pretty good for a beginner like me, I'm considering switching to Unity once I become more skilled.
Version 3.0 of Godot will include support for C# so it will be a Nice warm up for unity

I thought I'd replied to this already but I guess not.

Godot is great. It wasn't my cup of tea when it first launched but it's improved so much and version 3D games are no longer an afterthought. It is a little more difficult to learn than Construct but it's worth it as you have more control and can do more.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to know game engines for HTML5 games? 2018-01-17 10:36:59

At 1/16/18 09:29 PM, sharpnova wrote: Godot is great. It wasn't my cup of tea when it first launched but it's improved so much and version 3D games are no longer an afterthought. It is a little more difficult to learn than Construct but it's worth it as you have more control and can do more.

Yeah it's a little harder than I first thought but I think I'll be fine as long as I keep practicing.