00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

WannabePyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash 2020 and the Future

123,988 Views | 261 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-08-18 19:00:49

At 8/18/17 06:10 PM, sfxw wrote:
At 8/18/17 10:12 AM, straberrykiler6789 wrote: using a fairly old version of flash and the latest i have is flash 8 the item i am going to be working on will probably be done in Borland c++ builder and or visual studio once i dust off my cds
Have you tried a free open IDE like FlashDevelop? That and building your service in an ANE would be quite interesting to see.

i could use something like this for certain components but my code needs to be run where flash can not be run though for manipulating SWF files coding things in flash is a good solution for porting this to other systems since the code can be moved from system to system virtually unaltered.

i think components developed in Adobe AIR or FlashDevelop would be useful at a later stage but i will probably not be using them until the BETA the ALPHA of my program will just be basic use of the plugin with some additional parameters for testing.

Another program i will make is something to analyses HTML as a text file and create the ini using the most simplistic code besides module designated to do specific things which will have to be coded differently in each browser possible as this is purely for reference on how the addon should work.

At 8/18/17 07:00 PM, straberrykiler6789 wrote:
i could use something like this for certain components but my code needs to be run where flash can not be run though for manipulating SWF files coding things in flash is a good solution for porting this to other systems since the code can be moved from system to system virtually unaltered.

Do you have a GitHub you will be posting this on or will it be private?

Also did you know that AIR programs can be compiled into native code? This would let it run without the need for flash.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-08-19 07:15:36

At 8/18/17 10:21 PM, sfxw wrote:
At 8/18/17 07:00 PM, straberrykiler6789 wrote:
Do you have a GitHub you will be posting this on or will it be private?

Most of the effort to save flash seems to be happening there so i will be doing the windows versions on GitHub since most of the original code i make will be there first,
port's i might put elsewhere since i will be heavily using code from other projects(credited and by license terms) but other peoples code none the less

Also did you know that AIR programs can be compiled into native code? This would let it run without the need for flash.

this may be the way to do it on mobile phones in the future and could be a great way to make a newgrounds portal app, but the way the compiler works and where it can be used is contingent on adobe tailoring its compiler to that platform so i am going to be careful how many of my "eggs" i put in that "basket"

especially since i am planning Java,ShockWave and unity support

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-09-11 07:38:48

after seeing this post, i want to say a few things

i wast to start by reminiscing on flash, i haven't been on newgrounds for at least 8 or 10 years now but i have memories on this site, like making my mother mad when i play a stick man game with a M rating, i even had an newgrounds account that i cant remember, before my family signed up internet service around 2005/2006, i would go on my uncles computer when we went my grandparents house (my uncle lived with them still at this point) every sunday, play as many games i could on sites like newgrounds (of course), ezone, PBS, CBC, Teletoon, Neopets and so many more, flash was amazing.

it been a longtime coming and i think flash being killed off is a good thing, look, people have made some amazing stuff and the tool have made it so easy to make content, i respect that and many of us have long term memories of flash that will never die but its old, vary vary old, starting out under the name "FutureWave" in 1993 and was then modified to be a competitor to Macromedia Shockwave, by the time 2020 come around, the software will be 27 years old and the modified FutureWave aka flash will be 24 years old, i'm surprised its still compatible with modern systems, on top of age, its been neglected for so long, beginning when Macromedia bought out FutureWave to remove any competition with Shockwave and when Adobe bought Macromedia, the neglect didn't stop, there's just to much to fix and update.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-09-13 17:26:14

At 9/11/17 07:38 AM, rtim wrote: after seeing this post, i want to say a few things

i wast to start by reminiscing on flash, i haven't been on newgrounds for at least 8 or 10 years now but i have memories on this site, like making my mother mad when i play a stick man game with a M rating, i even had an newgrounds account that i cant remember, before my family signed up internet service around 2005/2006, i would go on my uncles computer when we went my grandparents house (my uncle lived with them still at this point) every sunday, play as many games i could on sites like newgrounds (of course), ezone, PBS, CBC, Teletoon, Neopets and so many more, flash was amazing.

We still have an amazing library of content and plenty of options to explore,
Look at how WebAsm can be used to run Dos Games and older windows systems in browser, if this can be done why would it be such a stretch to run the flash DLL SO or OCX in a similar way or even with a Web based Gnash.

We may not have flash source code but we do have the source for An emulator, Linux/Wine/ReactOS Just a matter of putting it together

it been a longtime coming and i think flash being killed off is a good thing, look, flash will be 24 years old, i'm surprised its still compatible with modern systems,

Just because flash has been used for a long time the death of flash is in your opinion a good thing, for no reason besides it being old?

"there's just to much to fix and update"
A flash "Plugin container" possibly a web based one would address this as it could sandbox flash completely negating any security risks

By all means have new tools but we still dont have a good replacement,

Go pure html? oh because nobody has ever had malicious code in a HTML
Dont forget how many current browsers selectively omit certain functions of HTML5 thats fun!
design something to share and half the people cant get it to work right.

Mp3's arent going anywhere Txt files are still useful and SWF's can still be usable in the future

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-09-15 01:47:55

Again, to reiterate: Flash produces clean as fuck images. Even Egoraptor complained about video formats on YT vs. Flash versions of his cartoons, citing the former's "Fuzzy Compression Bullshit".

Pure pixels for life.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-11-11 10:57:57

At 7/26/17 01:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: Options include javascript that can interpret and run an SWF file, software that can convert existing swf files to javascript or something using WebAssembly, which is still maturing. A lot has been happening in this space but nothing is perfect at the moment.

Great to know these things are being considered! IMO it seems like the first alternative would be the best, so games wouldn't need to be transformed and potentially broken. Haven't read up on WebAssembly at all though. Will be interesting to see what innovations are made now that the clock really starts ticking, and if they do make it Open Source...

Great summary overall, Congrats on the feature, and great fun browsing through the pictures! Looks like great fun!!

Hope Flash lives on forever, whatever the new form may be.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

At 7/27/17 08:27 AM, Valfire wrote: I still use Flash 5 you know.

Hell yeah! Keep fighting the good fight!! I've settled for 8 myself. Great program to just doodle around in too, not overly bloated but still easy to use, and at least images still export fine in future-proof formats. Curious btw, did Flash 5 have the smoothing feature for the brush?

At 7/27/17 07:52 PM, TmsT wrote: I wonder if I should finish making the two Flash games I've been tormenting in Development Hell for the past 6 years...

It's never too late!

BBS Signature

At 7/30/17 09:45 AM, straberrykiler6789 wrote: so i made this program...

That's pretty awesome! Gives hope that keeping history alive might not be impossible after all, and with the examples you've made already it almost seems easy. Surely a lot of work left though! Good luck, and looking forward to seeing what you make!

BBS Signature

I actually looked this up and it doesn't seem like Adobe is actually decommissioning the Flash Player itself, just the page for it.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2023241

Every other result I found on the subject of "decommissioning Flash" in Google is from shitty tabloid sites. From the looks of it, all Adobe is decommissioning is a page on their site since people were spoofing it to Trojan malware to people. Can anyone show a source from Adobe themselves declaring they're killing it off in 2020, because this was all I found on their part. To me it seems that everyone jumped the gun when they saw something about Adobe decommissioning something, something, Flash.

@TomFulp

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2017-11-22 09:24:07

At 11/22/17 08:03 AM, Psychopath wrote: I actually looked this up and it doesn't seem like Adobe is actually decommissioning the Flash Player itself, just the page for it.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2023241

Every other result I found on the subject of "decommissioning Flash" in Google is from shitty tabloid sites. From the looks of it, all Adobe is decommissioning is a page on their site since people were spoofing it to Trojan malware to people. Can anyone show a source from Adobe themselves declaring they're killing it off in 2020, because this was all I found on their part. To me it seems that everyone jumped the gun when they saw something about Adobe decommissioning something, something, Flash.

Here's their official notice:

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Adobe doesn't intend to support Flash after 2020, meaning if a security hole is discovered after that point, Adobe doesn't intend to fix it. This is why all of the major browsers have also committed to remove Flash completely after 2020, so you will no longer be able to install a plugin or toggle a setting to run Flash content in a browser.

You will still be able to run Flash in older browser versions or standalone desktop apps made to run Flash, so there will be alternatives, it just won't be as easy to access as it has been. That is unless we have a successful solution made with javascript or WebAssembly.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/all-major-browsers-now-support-webassembly/

WebAssembly is very promising but it would still be hard for people to make something that properly runs Flash without help from Adobe.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2018-01-18 07:32:45

At 11/11/17 10:59 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 7/30/17 09:45 AM, straberrykiler6789 wrote: so i made this program...
That's pretty awesome! Gives hope that keeping history alive might not be impossible after all, and with the examples you've made already it almost seems easy. Surely a lot of work left though! Good luck, and looking forward to seeing what you make!

Actually still working on a program to use NPSWF32.dll but at a plateau due to some weird bugs.
Though its intended to work with things that cant be run in the flash projector and i did hire a programmer so some progress could be made.

internet part is until later but NPSWF32.DLL requires you to set a ton of things before you can use it(interfacing with browser)

anyone else got any flashes that DO work in browser but fuck up when played in projector, like this!
http://archive.4plebs.org/f/search/image/YPaVUzy9CG6mQvmZP0fKkA/

Flash 2020 and the Future

At 1/18/18 07:32 AM, straberrykiler6789 wrote: Actually still working on a program to use NPSWF32.dll but at a plateau due to some weird bugs.
Though its intended to work with things that cant be run in the flash projector and i did hire a programmer so some progress could be made.

Actual hire too, seems ambitious!

Wonder if you've been making any progress since this post? Any place to follow the project on?

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2018-12-31 18:07:05

well technology exists so someone will be able to make a remake where you can make swfs or something. either way, i'll still miss flash, it's uses and effects and features were so nice and to see it go... especially the old projects...

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-02-11 12:43:46

http://flashplayer.fullstacks.net/?kind=Flash_Emulator

This is the first approach so far I found that goes into the right direction. But I don't know how to contact those guys and who is behind. Loaded some flash games and at least a few worked 5% of them...

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-02-20 17:01:21

I will truly miss flash, it was my start in the animation world and Newgrounds was the first flash portal I ever found. I even learned AS3 as my first programming language so it comes with an air of melancholy when I say goodbye old friend...

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-02-20 17:04:59

At 7/26/17 05:37 PM, ThePhenomenon wrote: Site locked games are THE biggest issue. Years ago I downloaded a bunch of personally favorite SWFs due to reliability problems but I just can't deal with site locked SWFs. About half of SWFs are site locked and they don't work downloaded. So all those people saying that all you need is a Flash player program are wrong. You need the files on the server where they were submitted (I don't know exactly how it works) to get them to play.

You should be able to decompile the swf with Sothink's tool and remove the domain check code allowing the flash file to run, I have done this on a few games with the same limitations. For the record, they also have a flash to HTML5 converter that might help upgrade some stuff.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-03-27 22:06:35

Tom. I have a question.

Will the old animations uploaded in flash format be deleted or still could view.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-03-28 08:15:16

At 3/27/19 10:06 PM, aidannibbles wrote: Tom. I have a question.

Will the old animations uploaded in flash format be deleted or still could view.

We won't be deleting any SWF files. You'll still be able to view them with our standalone player, which we'll be releasing soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-03-28 08:56:21

At 3/28/19 08:15 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/27/19 10:06 PM, aidannibbles wrote: Tom. I have a question.

We won't be deleting any SWF files. You'll still be able to view them with our standalone player, which we'll be releasing soon.

Ok. Thanks for the information. :)

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-07-19 01:19:56

Isn't adobe flash player end in july 2020

Quantum

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-08-07 13:51:59

This topic is relevant again. Just got a message today on chrome saying flash will no longer be supported. I made a topic over it before finding this via google. Any heads up or feedback would be wonderful about what's going to happen next.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-08-07 14:09:57

At 8/7/19 01:51 PM, arttrooper2 wrote: This topic is relevant again. Just got a message today on chrome saying flash will no longer be supported. I made a topic over it before finding this via google. Any heads up or feedback would be wonderful about what's going to happen next.

You should see a link to Newgrounds Player on the view pages that contain Flash content - if you don't see it, the content isn't Flash. Mike has been working on Flash emulation in browsers but that's TBA.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-08-07 14:19:25

At 8/7/19 02:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/7/19 01:51 PM, arttrooper2 wrote: This topic is relevant again. Just got a message today on chrome saying flash will no longer be supported. I made a topic over it before finding this via google. Any heads up or feedback would be wonderful about what's going to happen next.
You should see a link to Newgrounds Player on the view pages that contain Flash content - if you don't see it, the content isn't Flash. Mike has been working on Flash emulation in browsers but that's TBA.

Yeah on the topic I made someone linked me to the flashplayer for newgrounds player. I was super happy to see that, and thanks for replying to me on this post too :). Also there's going to be an emulation for other sites too!? That'll be sick!!! I don't know if it'll be perfect but at least it's an option and it's something! Thanks for the news! :D

Talking about open source Flash Player substitutes there was a project called Lightspark but it's discontinued: https://lightspark.github.io/

Gnash the same and play only video and not games, limited to swf v9: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/index.html

IMHO Flash Player Projector isn't good as a stand alone player because audio is later than the video or the games movements.

I hope in the future will be created some software to replace flash player in browsers, an alternative could be use old version of browsers with Flash Player implemented (not the best choice :P ).

EDIT: Firefox wants to implement Shumway: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Shumway

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-08-07 18:17:08

At 8/7/19 06:13 PM, Vitali80 wrote: EDIT: Firefox wants to implement Shumway: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Shumway

I think Shumway is defunct, unless they picked it back up. Mike's work is the most promising thing I've seen currently.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-09-28 07:02:09

What about Flash animations that have easter eggs littered about that you can zoom into, or those that loop?

The MP4s don't support that sort of stuff and with the fact that the SWFs still exist on the servers is there any plan to have a player that supports the full vectors rather than a video file?

It's hard to explain but I'm basically asking whether or not the full flash experience will be there. I don't know.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-10-07 13:11:56

Here is an article I created about this: https://www.atksolutions.com/articles/convert_adobe_flash_to_html5.html

It looks like time is ticking away.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-10-09 05:47:04

Oh god, I really don't want to live with all Sock cartoons being grainy compressed mp4's! As soon as my pressing matters end with the end of October, I should go to these pages and just bloody save them all to my harddrive, and hope that I can maintain a locally stored Flash player for as long as I still view old David Firth media with any form of admiration.

iu_60694_2729027.jpg

It's not just the games of Flash that will take a hit. Pristine vector graphics quality in old cartoons needs protection too.

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2019-11-01 13:09:57

Yay! Newgrounds forever!