00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whatt?

3,438 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-07 21:22:23

i think this can all be boiled down to: trust the audio mods' decision, because there's a reason Wade or another staff member offered them the position. if you sank the amount of time and energy into the audio portal that they have, your opinion would go a lot further, OP. as a former audio mod myself, i can tell you it looks fun from the outside, but there's actually a lot of work that needs done every single day to keep this place running smoothly. they've earned the right to make these decisions, because even before getting modded, they were brainstorming and discussing ways to improve this place every day. i can look back to page 1 of the audio lounge and i'm sure i won't find your name.

i didn't mean to sound so combative, but people don't realize how much time mods and regulars freely volunteer to keeping this section of NG running. stick around for a few years before deciding you know better than veterens.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-07 21:36:39

At 7/7/17 09:22 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: i think this can all be boiled down to: trust the audio mods' decision, because there's a reason Wade or another staff member offered them the position. if you sank the
i didn't mean to sound so combative, but people don't realize how much time mods and regulars freely volunteer to keeping this section of NG running. stick around for a few years before deciding you know better than veterens.

No one here has at any point claimed that being a moderator is being easy or that we don't trust the mods. Like ANY system ever there are going to be both pros and cons, and I believe it's good to get opinions out there. Critic is only a healthy part if any community, but there's a huge difference between complaining and giving constructive critisism. Every critique directed at the moderation team isn't a blatant attack on the great work and many hours the mods put into the site. Regardless it has to be allowed to state our opinions about how the site works. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the reason why not only popular artists are featured on the frontpage today is because som people critiqued how the system works. We've all been here for a long time, and we just want to do what we can to make the site better. We're all on the same team here

Just a random idiot

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-07 22:43:29

At 7/7/17 09:36 PM, Ectisity wrote:
At 7/7/17 09:22 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: i think this can all be boiled down to: trust the audio mods' decision, because there's a reason Wade or another staff member offered them the position. if you sank the
No one here has at any point claimed that being a moderator is being easy or that we don't trust the mods. Like ANY system ever there are going to be both pros and cons, and I believe it's good to get opinions out there. Critic is only a healthy part if any community, but there's a huge difference between complaining and giving constructive critisism. Every critique directed at the moderation team isn't a blatant attack on the great work and many hours the mods put into the site. Regardless it has to be allowed to state our opinions about how the site works. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the reason why not only popular artists are featured on the frontpage today is because som people critiqued how the system works. We've all been here for a long time, and we just want to do what we can to make the site better. We're all on the same team here

all's i'm saying is the mods do a fine job picking the FP and anyone who doesn't have their job doesn't have nearly as much of a grasp on what's good or bad for the AP, especially non-regs.
it comes off more as complaining than constructive criticism when someone drops in from out of nowhere and says "The front page picks are bad, change them." i've already stated my argument for why the system in place works, so i'll leave it there.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-08 01:11:31 (edited 2017-07-08 01:12:52)

make me mod again and i promise to only frontpage the absolute worst this site has to offer

p.s. i am gay

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-08 01:15:59

At 7/8/17 01:11 AM, midimachine wrote: make me mod again and i promise to only frontpage the absolute worst this site has to offer

Save that shit for the self-promo thread, asshole. No one's replied to it in a while anyways. ;P

I dropped you a follow and checked out a few songs for shiggles anyway

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-09 02:04:27 (edited 2017-07-09 02:05:01)

At 7/9/17 01:50 AM, PaulyBFromDa303 wrote: I always thought that the front page submissions were decided by robots using statistics XD It used to be anyway.

You may be thinking of featured submissions at the bottom of the page, but I'm not sure. My memory goes to shit once you go back past 2009. If you like robots, pretty sure last time I read, the featured selections at the bottom of the page are selected automatically by popularity/score. I can also remember a time when we had an audio player that almost exclusively played loops of Paragon-X9's music. What a time to be alive!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-09 04:05:28

At 7/9/17 03:35 AM, PaulyBFromDa303 wrote: Seriously though, it's been quite a history. I used to make terrible jokes like the one above way back when I was first getting started in 2006. It didn't go over very well and my humor ended up rubbing people the wrong way. Oh woe is the internet nerd who cares about that sort of thing XD

Yeah, I'll admit, years ago, I was very frustrated with the system. Granted, my stuff was never up to snuff, but I would see some of the tracks and think that "hey, this isn't even popular/good! tf? Are they viewbotting? How does this work?" I understand where people are coming from. I think it all just stems from people not really appreciating that reality and taste as a whole is very subjective. Your red is not my red. Our red is not anyone else's red. Your beauty is someone else's ugliness. Ya feel? Everyone makes mistakes.

I'm told there's also been some ugly history in the past where friending the mods really did get you somewhere. Not sure if threads are still extant since it's been so long, but that nonsense isn't tolerated, considering the reason we have live people managing the FP is so people can't abuse some algorithm with automated posts and view bots like they do on YT. I still would love to have A-Bot's kick ass boombox self back though.

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-09 05:53:45 (edited 2017-07-09 05:54:37)

At 7/9/17 04:52 AM, PaulyBFromDa303 wrote: That's politics. And yes there was a lot of it back then. If you were on the mods' good side, you could basically do whatever. Anyone else will be taken out. Only by taken out, I mean rumors spread, bad reviews, and scores hella dropping.

Oh, believe me, the zero bombing is very much still here. Except now the audio mods get it double-time (not to mention people who try to intervene personally) and instead of yolo, it's yovo -- you only vote once, hahah. Some of my tracks that were 4.8 stars have dropped to 2.99 and below since when I became a mod last December. Of course, most of that is mad Geo Dash players who I banned for stealing.

We've also had to keep an extra sharp eye out lately for any rule-breaking music accidentally hitting FP. Some people are trying to sneak in loop based music, incredibox, and a whole host of stuff. It'd be easier to avoid of people stopped looking the other way when their friends submitted rule-breaking stuff.

Naw, I don't want any of that either. I don't think anybody does. But I do sense something different about Newgrounds. A different, more positive vibe. And I can tell. I disappeared from NG for like 6 years to focus on my wrestling career, only coming back from it last year. Things have changed. A lot. I'm still getting used to it

Yeah, I can remember a time when @RealFaction got hacked by some haters and all of his stuff jacked -- as far back as 2009. I hear stuff like that less and less around here. The community seems to be coming together more, which I'm glad to see, and not to mention, things are a lot more fair and balanced than I ever remember. I can recall when Ramagi would lock threads for shiggles and Tony-Darkgrave zerobombed everything in existence -- and got away with it too.

BBS Signature

Response to Whatt? 2017-07-10 17:54:33

At 7/9/17 08:19 AM, RealFaction wrote: The hacker story though is a much longer story, it was basically a war. 2 years will leave a lot of stories and scars, I had to barely be online considering they had access to my computer remotely to wipe my hard drives and steal my parents money. That was just the tip of the iceburg...that's all I'll say. x.x

Wow. I knew they jacked your accounts everywhere, but not your parents' money. If you know who did it, was he ever arrested?

Also, if that stuff ever happens to you, you can quickly shut that shit down by disabling remote desktop functionality and changing your PC password. After that point a keylogger isn't gonna do them any good letting them into your PC, giving you time to get rid of the keylogger via either a security program or by-hand inspection. Securing your internet connection with a complicated password while the ethernet cable was disconnected would help too. You could change all your other passwords on email, etc. from another computer, and also get 2-step authentication on every site you can like I do. I've been hacked once, and since, never again.

Next thing you know they'll be trying to hack your phones, and they are, so always watch who you give your number to.

BBS Signature