00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metalcore popular among Christians

636 Views | 13 Replies

There are so many Christian Metalcore bands:
Demon Hunter
As I Lay Dying (they aren't Christian anymore, but they used to be)
Underoath
The Devil Wears Prada
Norma Jean
Zao
Haste the Day
For Today
Oh, Sleeper
etc.
But... WHY? Why Metalcore is such popular among Christians? There is so many genres of metal, but almost 90% of "Christian" bands that I know play Metalcore. Why?

Phimosis

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 08:11:21

People are capable of enjoying things regardless of their religion.

People are capable of being Christian and liking all sorts of thing, even if they may seem to contradict. This is because people can be complex.

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 08:21:04

At 7/2/17 07:45 AM, MysteryG wrote: But... WHY? Why Metalcore is such popular among Christians? There is so many genres of metal, but almost 90% of "Christian" bands that I know play Metalcore. Why?

Because other genres are too nontraditional. They can play symphonic/black metal though.
Rotting Christ - Ze Nigmar / זה נגמר

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 08:53:01

At 7/2/17 08:21 AM, satanbrain wrote: Because other genres are too nontraditional. They can play symphonic/black metal though.

What do you mean by "nontraditional"?

Phimosis

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 09:01:40

At 7/2/17 08:11 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: People are capable of enjoying things regardless of their religion.

People are capable of being Christian and liking all sorts of thing, even if they may seem to contradict. This is because people can be complex.

I understand, but I'm wondering why there such little Christian bands that play other genres of metal, like Industrial Metal or Groove Metal.

Phimosis

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 09:55:37

At 7/2/17 07:51 AM, SamPercy wrote: Because Metal is conservative, it is traditional, and thus fits in with backwards desert faiths

There are a bunch of douches that make it seem that way (and may they be arse-raped by @Satan), but in reality, Metal is so much more than that, and I for one have too much of a crossover background to give half a shit about purists. Let's face it, trueness is boring as fuck.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 11:25:19

Like 10 years ago when Mallcore was relevant you had a christian scene from bands like Underoath but that band really badly sold out and this "Christian" scene came, none of these bands were Christian though and it was all bullshit, Tim Lambesis finally admitted it in like 2014 but everyone knew this anyway. Although they're are like actual christian bands/fans that come from that.
There's (unblack) white metal too but it's mostly fucking ridiculous and I can barely take any of the bands seriously.
I just want a heavy blasting white metal band but their lyrics are like WBC strict Christianity, none of the lame ass morals and shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-02 11:44:01

At 7/2/17 08:53 AM, MysteryG wrote:
At 7/2/17 08:21 AM, satanbrain wrote: Because other genres are too nontraditional. They can play symphonic/black metal though.
What do you mean by "nontraditional"?

Non-rock and non-punk. The 'traditional' rock and punk are more likely to be accepted than death or gothic.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-03 03:25:11

At 7/2/17 01:36 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: As a former Christian who still has some pseudo-religious views, I can attest to the fact that we do like metalcore.

To be honest a few of those bands you listed are better than most non-religious metalcore bands.

As for the "why?" Because it sounds good.

Not all Christians like Metalcore. I'm practising Christian and I HATE Christian Metalcore (with some exceptions, like Underoath). However, I agree that some of this bands sounds better than non-religious metalcore, like Bring Me The Horizon ("Throne" is their only song I don't find terrible) etc.

Phimosis

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-03 13:13:46

At 7/3/17 03:25 AM, MysteryG wrote: However, I agree that some of this bands sounds better than non-religious metalcore, like Bring Me The Horizon ("Throne" is their only song I don't find terrible) etc.

BMTH isn't really metalcore. I file them under "hardly definable", which, in my book, is even better.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-04 08:05:07

At 7/2/17 12:05 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 7/2/17 07:51 AM, SamPercy wrote: Because Metal is conservative
no...

The metal heads I know are Trumpy as fuck. It is what it is.

Metal is a nostalgic style, whether it's nostalgia for the 80's, or nostalgia for the Iron Age.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-04 11:39:40

Just because they're Christian doesn't mean that they don't have things that they like that often contradicts what their faith is, Alice Cooper is a devout Christian and even that doesn't stop him from putting on material that wouldn't be considered wholesome on stage for example.

If I had to guess though, most metal genres/bands aren't really too keen on organized religion, and while exceptions do exist, they aren't exactly dime a dozen, what with the moral stink they've raised back in the 80's and 90's. Now that the "shock rock" stigma has went away, metalcore is one of the major sub-genres where they can profess their faith while being aggressive enough for others to enjoy, though in the former, they usually don't mention their faith or at least try to be subtle as possible. Of course, metalcore is still a controversial genre regardless of the the Christian influence to metalheads and critics, so there's that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-05 12:14:23

I do love me some Demon Hunter tho <3

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Metalcore popular among Christians 2017-07-05 16:40:38

At 7/2/17 07:45 AM, MysteryG wrote: There are so many Christian Metalcore bands:
Demon Hunter
As I Lay Dying (they aren't Christian anymore, but they used to be)
Underoath
The Devil Wears Prada
Norma Jean
Zao
Haste the Day
For Today
Oh, Sleeper
etc.
But... WHY? Why Metalcore is such popular among Christians? There is so many genres of metal, but almost 90% of "Christian" bands that I know play Metalcore. Why?

I dunno, Demon Hunter's alright though.
The Devil Wears Prada is not a cool name and the others I've never heard of. I honestly don't see the problem, does liking metalcore call your christian morals into question?

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature