00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash FPS Glich! 2017-06-19 18:08:18

So, In flash I set my movie to be 20 fps, but once I started playing it, the fps started changing causing the animation to slow down. Any Help?

Response to Flash FPS Glich! 2017-06-22 13:03:45

Do you have too many effects on the stage? Is your computer fast enough? (the 20 fps is only an upper bound; it may never cross it, but may frequently go below it if the computer can't render it fast enough). Does this happen during the preview, or when you export the movie?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Flash FPS Glich! 2017-06-22 15:21:35

Try asking in http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum/7 you'll probably get more help/advice re: your problem from programmers.

Response to Flash FPS Glich! 2017-06-29 03:33:14 (edited 2017-06-29 03:35:01)

You probably mean when playing in the timeline? not the .swf. (But I'll try and solve both).

If so, here's a solution! (And I'll also explain what happens in Animate/Flash)

Get a piece of sound, or better yet, create 1 second of silence in any Audio software. Put it on an empty layer in your timeline that the playback is slow of (for example Scene 1/The main timeline). You can call the layer "FPS fix!" or something. If there is audio, press the pencil in properties and make sure it is silenced.

Set that piece of sound to Stream and Loop (make sure it loops forever basicly). Make sure the layer is as long as your timeline and visible. If you press enter now it should play at the correct FPS! Please mind that this only works in the timeline that the sound is on. Duplicate the layer for each Graphic you want to preview on your timeline.

If the issue is in the .swf, you only need to place this soundfile on the main timeline. HOWEVER, this trick works when working with animated Graphics only. Not animated Movieclips. (And I mean movieclips/graphics with animation IN them. using them to animate is no problem).

I'll now tell you why this is:

Flash will try and preview every frame when pressing enter to play an animation. However, if your computer can't make it it'll slow down. A heavy animation at 60fps, well too bad, you'll see it stutter.
Now if you put the STREAMING sound file in, even if the audio is silence, Flash/Animate will force it to play at the right speed. Keep in mind however that Flash/Animate will skip frames to make this happen, but most of the time that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Same for .swf's. Once Flash/Animate detects streaming audio, it will prioritize it!

There is another solution, and that's importing the .swf in After Effects and just rendering it. Since it convert to .swf to video it will play smoothly. It's also the best way to export a .swf to .mp4 (much better than in Flash/Animate itself). Keep in mind that again, this doesn't work with Movieclips that have animation in them. Only with Graphics that have animation in them.

Why Adobe never fixed this, or gave an option box to turn on "Force frames!" or "Always play all frames" is a riddle to me, because this is a super easy fix, but a bit clumsy to have to do.

I added a screenshot that hopefully helps!

Flash FPS Glich!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash FPS Glich! 2017-06-29 15:46:42

At 6/19/17 06:08 PM, UTPComix wrote: So, In flash I set my movie to be 20 fps, but once I started playing it, the fps started changing causing the animation to slow down. Any Help?

It could be that your computer is having trouble rendering it. I have the same problem when I have complex flashes playing on anything but low or medium quality. There's a noticable speed improvement between those two. It could just be because the flashes I was playing had very high frame rates that my PC doesn't like, lol.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature