00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Deleting because of unlicen. music?

723 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just a little question, about this notice you get, when you want to sumbit a movie:

NOTICE: if your work contains unlicensed music, it will be removed. The Audio Portal, Kevin MacLeod's huge archive at Incompetech, and freemusicarchive.org are great resources for original music you may use. If you're not in any rush, you should also try the Collabinator!

Do I get this right? If I want to use music that's public domain under a license like this: CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0) for a music file from freesound.org it would get deleted, because it's not from one of the named platforms? Or does this count as "licensed", I mean, actually it is. I don't even know how something can be unlicenced music. O.o

Thanks in advance

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting because of unlicen. music? 2017-06-05 16:00:49

Unlicensed music is music you don't have a license to use. It's pretty self-explanatory. Specifically, what Newgrounds doesn't want you using is music owned by big record labels.

As for whether or not certain music counts as "licensed", when it comes to big-label music, you'll have to pay for a license to use it, which is usually very expensive (though there is the SLIGHT possibility that they're nice enough to let you use it for free, but then they'll probably want you to use it non-commercially). Music listed under creative commons on the other hand, IS already licensed, because creative commons IS a license, granting you rights to use the music under certain conditions, determined by the artists, though most artists usually just want you to credit them if you use it. Every CC license is different, so pay close attention to which license it is, especially on freesound. I downloaded some stuff on freesound, thinking it was all 100% royalty free, only to realize later that some of it was non-commercial and other stuff.

Kevin MacLeod's music is all licensed under creative commons - attribution, so all you have to do to use it is credit him. Newgrounds audio portal music is all licensed under creative commons, but they're all different licenses, so keep an eye out for which one, though iirc, newgrounds audio portal music is free to use automatically for web-based games and movies.

Also, public domain stuff is 100% free to use, period. It's not copyrighted, because it either fell into the public domain for being too old, or its creator decided to make it public domain, and so you don't need a license to use.

When it comes down to it though, if you're ever unsure if you can use a certain piece of music, find the artist and ask permission.

Great, thanks for your fast anwer and good explanation! I wasn't 100%, if I understood the note correctly (english isn't my main language, sorry for the inconvenience) and thought that the used music in movies is mainly limited to those listed platforms.
That was my main concern (I know now it sounds stupid, that's why I was confused).

I'm pretty aware when it comes to copyright and different creative common licenses, but thanks for your hints. I'm sure it will be helpful for other artists too. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting because of unlicen. music? 2017-06-16 13:09:32

That new Newgrounds Copyright Polices are pain in my ass. Many of my favourite flashes was deleted because of unlicenced music. :(

Phimosis