00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GooeyOso just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thoughts On My Music?

326 Views | 4 Replies

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts On My Music? 2017-05-30 21:33:27

Dream Journey is a very nice tune, I love the melody of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts On My Music? 2017-05-30 21:34:48

At 5/30/17 09:33 PM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Dream Journey is a very nice tune, I love the melody of it.

Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts On My Music? 2017-05-31 02:29:33 (edited 2017-05-31 02:29:55)

I can't tell you if it's because I don't listen to EDM, or it's because you're starting out, but the music sounds repetitive to the point that I suddenly got bored for no reason. I guess what I mean by repetitive is the dominant sound is always repeated every meter in a different pitch for 4 meters and then the set gets repeated, with a little variation to the complimentary sounds.

I feel like the pieces aren't moving anywhere when I want it to move. All three of the songs you asked felt that way to me.

I didn't care about Party Shoes (I don't go clubbing),

I wanted to like Dream Journey, but it suffers the most of what I mentioned above as it seems like it is only two tracks fighting for the dominant sound. Even though I don't care for Party Shoes, I think it may have been better than Dream Journey as there was more variety of sounds.

Triumph is my favorite of them all because it felt like it was moving somewhere, in spite of it being repetitive. It may have been because the complimentary sound sometimes became the dominant sound for a few seconds making the illusion of movement.

I don't mind repetition, but I want to feel like I'm going somewhere, like when I listen to Tetris music, I feel like I'm going somewhere within each meter, even if I move a little, I'm still moving throughout the meter, instead of moving and stopping at every meter. In the end, it may be that I'll never get into EDM, not because everyone sucks, but because I don't care for the genre.

I hope this was constructive.

"I'm an Androgynous Misogynous" -- Billy the Fridge

Response to Thoughts On My Music? 2017-05-31 12:15:58 (edited 2017-05-31 12:25:13)

Here's a strange addition to my critique of you music. I was thinking this morning "isn't it hipocritical of me to critique his use of repetition?" The reason is because I like this one musical piece that employs a lot of repetition.

The piece I'm referring to is called They Move On Tracks of Never-Ending Light.

I'll make a case of why it's not hypocritical of me. I decided to listen to it the same way I listened to your music, actively. I enjoyed the first half of it, but the second half made me bored, which is strange because I thought I thoroughly liked it from beginning to end. I enjoyed the first half even though it was repetitive, because there was little change in interval, which registered in my mind as a longer version of that note instead of the short notes that they are. I mentioned in my previous post, I'm fine with slow movements. The longer notes make a slower movement to me.

When I gained momentum, I don't want to feel like I'm trying to go somehere by going nowhere, which is why I don't care too much about the second half of the piece. However, I used to think i really like the second half because I enjoy the melody. The reason why I used to not mind it was because I was always doing something (like studying) when I listen to it. When I'm doing something, this kind of repetition does not bother me, In fact I may enjoy it more. So if I listen to your music while doing something else, I may enjoy it more than how I did yesterday.

It's funny how that works.

"I'm an Androgynous Misogynous" -- Billy the Fridge