00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Portal turns 15 next year

5,121 Views | 91 Replies

Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 10:10:43

Major anniversary coming up in March next year, or thereabouts. Thoughts? Ideas?
Four years ago we had the NG Audio Portal 10th Anniversary contest, where we were to make substantially different remixes or covers of already existing original songs on NG.

So, what shall we do this time?

Wow, has it been 4 years already o_O.
Think it would be really cool to have something where anyone who wants to join can collaborate on something big like was done for the 10th year anniversary and for NG's 20th anniversay. Gonna plop down some ideas below.

Ideas:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The longest track in the world
Anyone who wants to joins up to make the longest track on the site. We decide on a key on beforehand and one of our skilled DJ's mix all the tracks together into one long track at the end

Pros:
1.Everyone gets to participate
2.The collab will have a lasting impact on the site as the, or one of the, longest track(s)

Cons
1. Could be hard to mix all the tracks together.
2. Could end up with few participants, and then it's kinda pointless
3. @lucidshadowdreamer could releases a 10 hour track and screw us all over :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History of the Portal
We collaborate on an album representing the evolution of the Audio Portal by making tracks in different genres.

Pros
1. Would be bloody fun
2. Everyone can participate

Cons
1. I think something similar, if not the exact same thing, was done for NG's 20th anniversary. I don't really remember
2. People are most likely going to pick some genres more than others, so we will have an influx of the mostp opular genres.
3. Some genres people usually make their music on might not represent any point in the Audio Portal's history,
4. Will be a huge hassle to organize, as it's important that everyone that signs up actually submits a track in their chosen genre
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sing a Long
We create a single track with lyrics about the audio portal, and people are told to record themselves singing specific phrases, and then they are all put together into one track. The instrumental could be a collaboration between some chosen people. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are at singing. Bad singers only make it more funny. The quality of the vocal sample isn't that important either as long as it's possible to hear what you are saying

Pros
1. It would be bloody fun
2. Everyone can participate
3. By having chosen people make the track it ensures that the quality will be good as well as everyone gets to participate
4. Did I mention it would be bloody fun?

Cons

1. Would be a pain to organize
2. People might not like singing(wut!?!?!), and thus the might not want to participate
3. Some people might have better mics than others, so the audio quality would be inconsistent
4. While it would include everyone, not everyone would be in their right element as most people on here has never sung in a track.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are what I think of right now. Will post more if I can think of something else.

Just a random idiot

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 11:25:37

At 5/29/17 11:08 AM, Ectisity wrote:
Ideas:

Cons

Try me and I might as well go for 24 ;)

At 5/29/17 11:25 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
At 5/29/17 11:08 AM, Ectisity wrote:
Ideas:

Cons

Try me and I might as well go for 24 ;)

Hm, when @Whirlguy organised the CTSG back during the 20th Anniversary celebrations it actually turned out well. But an even longer, Mike Oldfield-esque CTSG? Oooooo oooo ooo!

I've got another idea:

IDEA NUMBER 4: A massive audio drama in the vein of War of the Worlds, which means we can get the voice actors involved.

Pros:
- Same as for Idea number 1.

Cons:
- Same as for Idea number 1, with one added drawback: it'd be a bit unwieldy doing this across two forums.

Anyway, not set on this idea just yet; open to hearing what people think. I am gonna tag as many people as I can for interest, because we're all in this.

@RealFaction @Step @Samulis @Camoshark @Nimble @NekoMika @Phyrnna @Waterflame @Lockyn @etherealwinds @ForgottenDawn @JacobCadmus @SoundChris @Xtrullor @FirePowerX @Mich @B16 @Rig @Basset-Hound @ChronoNomad @LunacyEcho @JordanKyser @FGK16 @SnowTeddy @MysteriousPresence @Lich @Ceevro @AceMantra @Kwing @Zechnition @Mophead367 @Seprix @SkyeWint @EdKempeper @Mandarien @papkee @1f1n1ty @ChaelMusic @Kor-Rune @Keitomine @UltraMX @hektikmusic @LexaHergon @EDM364 @midimachine @zanzlanz @ZStriefel @Kalviter @johnfn @Unity-Paradox @larrylarrybb @frootza @AeronMusic @Sequenced @garlagan @Phonometrologist @Bardash @EvilRaccoon @MarkySpark @sorohanro @Dubsyn @Deshiel @ValeriaKitten @maxxpump @TranceCrafter @F-777 @hania @FaunSound @LadyArsenic @AliceMako @larrynachos @Rampant @VisceralSounds @alternativesolution @AnalogByNature @Bafana @Bosa @BlazingDragon @Bspendlove @Calamaistr @deadlyfishes @DivoFST @Envy @FairSquare @ForeverBound @headphoamz @Krichotomy @Megasphere @Migashi @Oakwood @ObsidianSnow @Rahmemhotep @SilverFoxJams @SonCurran @SSJ3-Goku4567 @Steampianist @Stunkel @ZipZipper @Theatr @TheGoatee @TIMarbury @Ultramartyr @wandschrank @Yoshiii343 @YukkiHonoka

Feel free to tag any musicians you know who might be interested in this, and suggest other things that we could do -- once we reach enough ideas, we'll all vote on it, presumably.

And the only voice actors I know, if we are going for this idea:
@Caxx @Piper @TrinaTan @RedMinus @DMacDouble @Saminat

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 13:05:13

At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Anyway, not set on this idea just yet; open to hearing what people think. I am gonna tag as many people as I can for interest, because we're all in this.

HOLY HELL. I don't know how I got mentioned among these legends but I would totally be down for some kind of anniversary project.

I guess it all depends on what you're aiming for. If you want inclusiveness,, the drama might be the best way to go because you can have multiple people doing voices as well as collabs for background instrumentals or even sound effects. Some kind of history of the portal would also be cool, since you could remix tracks from old regulars like @ParagonX9 (then again, you could sample the same tracks and use them however you want, too...)

That said, I definitely like the idea of the Audio Portal showcasing as many people as possible. It's a small community so there's no good reason to leave so many out.

One thing that might also be cool is to have a gigantic podcast - a mix between flash fiction with voice actors, radio-like segments, and maybe some discussions/interviews mixed in.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 13:13:13

I quite like the idea of a long song/megamix type affair, because if it's linked by key then it allows people to flex creatively in everything else.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 13:14:31

@Troisnyx
Ooh, and audio drama would be really cool. Would be nice to include the voice actor as they are an important part of the audio community.

@Kwing
I think doing an anniversary podcast would be awesome as we could include so much different stuff in it. Think it could be really cool if we could get people on board.

Just a random idiot

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 13:14:49

At 5/29/17 01:05 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Anyway, not set on this idea just yet; open to hearing what people think. I am gonna tag as many people as I can for interest, because we're all in this.
HOLY HELL. I don't know how I got mentioned among these legends but I would totally be down for some kind of anniversary project.

I guess it all depends on what you're aiming for. If you want inclusiveness,, the drama might be the best way to go because you can have multiple people doing voices as well as collabs for background instrumentals or even sound effects. Some kind of history of the portal would also be cool, since you could remix tracks from old regulars like @ParagonX9 (then again, you could sample the same tracks and use them however you want, too...)

That said, I definitely like the idea of the Audio Portal showcasing as many people as possible. It's a small community so there's no good reason to leave so many out.

One thing that might also be cool is to have a gigantic podcast - a mix between flash fiction with voice actors, radio-like segments, and maybe some discussions/interviews mixed in.

Personally, I am aiming for inclusiveness, which was also the strong point made back in the NG 20th Anniversary Celebrations. And bloody hell, I realise there are still people to tag, and I haven't even mentioned them all. :O I wonder if some of them are still even on Newgrounds today.

That being said, on the matter of inclusiveness, it's a tough choice to make. CTSG? Portal History? Audio drama? Ack.

Just a random idiot

Doing a big collaborative sing-along sounds pretty awesome to me! As does the audio drama idea. Either option lies within my wheelhouse, and both sound like fun.

Shameless Plug: Auditions for the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch are going on now! Click HERE to take part and bear witness to the spectacle.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 13:56:29

Count me in, that sounds pretty neat!

I think an audio drama is something that could stand out more than the usual collab album. It's from and within Newgrounds, so why not.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 14:02:23

Woah thanks for tagging!

I really like the idea of some sort of jumbled mega-mix, where people can contribute in their own way (using their own talents). Just like how Newgrounds has impacted different people in different ways.

I also like it because it's general enough to include a structured guideline, like having time slots, or themes.

To separating styles or to address length concerns, maybe there could be separate submissions for different genres or themes.

Can't wait to hear what happens! :)

Hi, you! You're awesome, probably! <3 Have a great day!

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 15:37:12

I'm up for all of them!

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 15:52:03

At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: @RealFaction @Step...@Yoshiii343 @YukkiHonoka

I think many of us are probably more interested in this list of tags than the actual thing now that you've done it :P

I've been around Newgrounds for at least 10 years now so I'd love to be a part. Idk about what we'd do tho

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 16:06:43

At 5/29/17 03:37 PM, UltraMX wrote: I'm up for all of them!

Unfortunately, given varying musicians' commitments, we choose only one. If by a certain date, no one has anything to propose in the way of ideas, and if we've got a certain threshold of people expressing interest / confirming participation, I'll close the ideas and open voting.

At 5/29/17 03:52 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote:
At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: @RealFaction @Step...@Yoshiii343 @YukkiHonoka
I think many of us are probably more interested in this list of tags than the actual thing now that you've done it :P

I've been around Newgrounds for at least 10 years now so I'd love to be a part. Idk about what we'd do tho

Give it some thought; voting's gonna be a while away yet.

At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Hm, when @Whirlguy organised the CTSG back during the 20th Anniversary celebrations it actually turned out well.

Hey what's up? I like this thread!

Four years ago we had the NG Audio Portal 10th Anniversary contest, where we were to make substantially different remixes or covers of already existing original songs on NG.

Whoah cool! I wish I'd known of this sooner, enjoying some classic covered songs atm.

That being said, on the matter of inclusiveness, it's a tough choice to make. CTSG? Portal History? Audio drama? Ack.

It might be a good idea to see if we can study up on some audio portal history. Audio history wasn't very well documented on Newgrounds but it shouldn't be impossible. By the way, I just had another idea. We could try to have a brief interview with some classic musicians. Take paragonx9 for instance and have him send a recording to us where he talks about how he discovered NG, what song(s) brought him to fame and how the experience was for him. We could do this for 15 artists total, one for each year. I personally consider some NG artists to be "era-defining", though that's debatable of course. We might say for instance that FDA was king of the AP in 2003, Paragonx9 for 2004, Kingbastard for 2005 and later on Rig for 2008. Then again there's lots of other great artists we'd be missing out on, not to mention some people will be hard to get a hold of. It's not very inclusive either, unless we find a creative way to combine the interview with music. That's doable. Involving voice actors and sound designers poses a bigger challenge however.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 16:43:07

Sounds like a cool idea! You could fix the problem with inclusiveness by combining this with @Kwing s idea about having an anniversary collab. We could include the 15 musician interviews, various collabs and etc. in the podcast, and that way we have something that's both fun to make, represent the Audio portal in a great way, and will be fun to listen to in the future.

It might be a good idea to see if we can study up on some audio portal history. Audio history wasn't very well documented on Newgrounds but it shouldn't be impossible. By the way, I just had another idea. We could try to have a brief interview with some classic musicians. Take paragonx9 for instance and have him send a recording to us where he talks about how he discovered NG, what song(s) brought him to fame and how the experience was for him. We could do this for 15 artists total, one for each year. I personally consider some NG artists to be "era-defining", though that's debatable of course. We might say for instance that FDA was king of the AP in 2003, Paragonx9 for 2004, Kingbastard for 2005 and later on Rig for 2008. Then again there's lots of other great artists we'd be missing out on, not to mention some people will be hard to get a hold of. It's not very inclusive either, unless we find a creative way to combine the interview with music. That's doable. Involving voice actors and sound designers poses a bigger challenge however.

Just a random idiot

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 16:55:16

Oh, then the longest track then.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 17:22:34

At 5/29/17 12:51 PM, Troisnyx wrote: @FGK16

It is supposed to be @FGK2015, not FGK16.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 17:42:47

At 5/29/17 04:55 PM, UltraMX wrote: Oh, then the longest track then.

No problem for me! :P

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 18:33:30

And the only voice actors I know, if we are going for this idea:
@Caxx @Piper @TrinaTan @RedMinus @DMacDouble @Saminat

@ClimaxTiger

Just a random idiot

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 19:47:33

The hell? I'm in the mix here?

I mean, I, of all people, would approve of a singalong! But I am also aware of just how much work that is for the mixer, as @step can testify!

So here is what I propose, to make the whole thing both interesting and relatively easy to mix:

NEWGROUNDS RAP BATTLE OF LEGENDS!!!

Selected person will compose a hiphop loop, for ease of mixing.

Those who wish to may add a verse, for which they have a set amount of bars (16 bars, for example) which must be sung over the original beat. For those with more musical/mixing ability, they might choose to attempt to alter the beat/compose for their bars, but the rule would be that their loop must be able to simply be dragged/dropped into the mix cleanly. If you don't know how to do that, you're probably not up to it.

I can offer some support on this, and am happy to work with any of y'all!

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-29 21:31:39

If this is a vote, I cast mine for longest track and/or audio drama. Lord knows it's hard to find good DJ sets these days, and if we were to have a massive podcast, that genre needs some love too. Thanks for the mention @Troisnyx!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 00:10:20

Sounds uber fun.

Wish I could participate.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 03:24:20

There are some good ideas already on the table.
So far my favorites are the audio drama, and the giant podcast one.
You mates can count me in for any project. If I have a good idea, I'll let you know.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 04:16:13

I am currently counting the votes on the various options, including those who proposed it and those who voted on multiple things. Considering I proposed the audio drama, I count as voting for it.

So, as it stands:

Longest Song: 6
Audio Drama: 6
AP History Podcast: 5
Massive Singalong: 3
Rap Battle: 1

These results could very well change depending on the greater turnout and what more people want. So come on in and decide. I'll open voting until 30 June or something, during which time we can talk about the logistics of each option. Then whatever is decided can be worked on after that point.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 06:31:18

We could also release albums for each genre of the audio portal, consisting either of hand-picked songs, or all-original material. It might be a way of showing what the AP is capable of.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 13:39:55

My vote should count as ten. Based on the fact that I was created ugly, so I should have some kinda super power to compensate. And super-voting is the one I choose!

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 13:41:49

At 5/30/17 01:39 PM, Ceevro wrote: My vote should count as ten. Based on the fact that I was created ugly, so I should have some kinda super power to compensate. And super-voting is the one I choose!

Oh fuck you too.

Response to Audio Portal turns 15 next year 2017-05-30 13:43:25

At 5/30/17 06:31 AM, Demon-Wolf wrote: We could also release albums for each genre of the audio portal, consisting either of hand-picked songs, or all-original material. It might be a way of showing what the AP is capable of.

That is an idea, and I don't know which way to lean on this because I'm still working out logistics. Would it be multiple threads, one per genre, throughout the continuation of this programme, or Discord channels or somesuch?