00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Everything is fucking Dark Souls

1,256 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-24 13:19:43

According to Journalists like fucking come on cant you use any other way to describe a game then to compare it to dark souls?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-24 13:39:40

Dark Souls has become the go-to game for comparisons right now, considering that game journalism and developers in general tends to follow the flavor of the month and try to find comparisons with their game with a popular franchise. It wasn't all that long ago that developers were apeing off games like Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War, and before that, Halo and God of War.

In other words, It's a copycat business in a lot of respects, for better or worse.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-24 13:43:35

Dark Souls was unique enough to become a new pillar of game design.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

It's a shame too because I really love and respect the series, but it's only ever one sentence away from being mentioned in any game discussion. It's so common and popular that it's become trite.

It's bizarre when I think of the first Demon's Souls, a japanese action-RPG so excessively weird, challenging and esoteric it could barely get any farther from mainsteam appeal. And yet just two sequels later it had become arguably the most influential series of the entire generation.

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-24 18:18:22

Not comparing new games to Dark Souls is pretty difficult. It's the Dark Souls of journalism.

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-24 22:42:16

This sword is Dark Souls, that fireplace is Dark Souls, that spider you made from k'nex is Dark Souls, and that guy wearing a sun shirt is Dark Souls. Are there any more Dark Souls I need to mention?

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-25 00:59:45

This thread is Dark Souls.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-25 13:08:27

At 5/24/17 06:22 PM, skippuh wrote: "Blasphemous is an action-platformer that combines the fast-paced, skilled combat of a hack-n-slash game with a deep and evocative narrative core, delivered through exploration of a huge universe comprised of non-linear levels."

So its like... castlevania.

Okay.

Ya for real, I always kinda thought Dark Souls was pretty similar to Castlevania. I never really see that comparison being made.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-25 14:37:56

Why are you saying that it's the journalists fault? The game is clearly inspired by Dark Souls, if something inspired by something else its only right to compare them. Is everyone taking crazy pills?

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-05-26 15:33:54

ripping off Dark Souls has become its own genre - the Soulslike. Salt and Sanctuary, Ni Oh, Lords of the Fallen and many others rip the dark aesthetics and combat out and attach their own lore to it. i'll agree that not everything is "The Dark Souls of _____", though. it's like advertisers saying horror movies are "The Jaws of _____", or "The Psycho of _____". the Souls series has an enormous, dedicated fanbase, so if you just mention the name, you're bound to catch someone's attention.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-08-15 14:45:16

i know, why can't they just say it's very hard

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-08-16 02:58:18

I feel you man, "This game is slightly difficult 'DARK SOULS!"
Even when a game isn't overwhelmingly hard they compare it to Dark Souls.
Crash Bandicoot is nothing like Dark Souls.
From what I know All that Dark Souls is, is an extremely difficult and linear action "RPG."

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-12-12 06:48:47

I've never played Dark Souls so yeah, they really should find a more relatable comparison.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-12-14 00:06:14

I agree to many opinion here and it's become truly annoying to see Dark Souls being used as comparison so often - of course it's gonna be - it's popular and highly influential after all. But still it's annoying to hear stuff like "it's the Dark Souls of its genre" or "it's Souls-like". Just say it's hard goddammit. I'm not talking only about journalism but anyone in general. It's unoriginal.

Beside, it somewhat pisses me off that Dark Souls get all the credits when Demon's Souls came out just two years prior with an extremely similar gameplay (I'm not comparing the two).

Another thing that irritates me a bit, although normal enough, is other developers copying the Souls formula. It's normal because envy is common and a lot of games have been copied since the beginning. It can spawn good games, but I wish developers could do something original by themselves. But at the same time, is it their fault if the producers are asking them to? Producers like whatever make the most money.

Response to Everything is fucking Dark Souls 2017-12-14 15:06:25

I read a review for Cuphead a week ago and the entire review just compared it to Dark Souls the entire time. It's like Dark Souls has become the standard with games that are centered around difficulty.