New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate

Dont know why so many like it.

I played it 3 times just to make sure that i liked it or not.

1 time normal
2nd time on 2nd quest.
And 3rd time to be sure if there was no secret on the same save file 2nd quest again.

Nope... nothing new. Ok.

While Zelda 2 i dont think is the best, i think it was sort of more fun and action orianted.

What i hate is its cryptic and makes no sense to me. Like if i played this in the 80s of north america video game crash, which was the reason why they glorify nintendo because America is the world, and havent they gotten their interest in video game consoles after the north american video game crash with Atari, video games would be dead. I mean Europe didnt even give a crap about NES, they cared more for computer games and Sega Mastersystem.

So yeah... NES is possibly...a glorified retro stuff in some part of the world. And somehow my brother was playing on Commodore 64 or Amiga computer, no wonder i never heard of someone owning a NES. Super Nintendo on the other hand did ok in Europe til SONY Playstation owned it!

But i have a feeling Nintendo did well because then the senate could censor violence like blood and stuff in games, which is why SEGA got most of the blame in 1993 violence in video games, compared to Nintendo. So seems like it was a perfect family friendly console where nothing could go wrong.

TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-16 19:15:40 Reply

I feel like the first Zelda is one of those games that has aged remarkably well. Probably better than just about anything else from that era. I also felt that it was pretty straightforward in terms of what you are supposed to do, even if it could be a pain to figure out where to go next. Of course that may have something to due with the fact that the my first Zelda game was A Link to the Past. Zelda 1 is a much simpler and smaller by comparison. I really need to finish that game at some point.

Zelda 2 on the other hand was a pain in the old tuckus. Absurdly difficult to the point where I didn't play it for very long at all. I don't think it's style of gameplay suited the series well at all. Mostly due to how it was handled.

"Everybody deals with grief differently. Some people fuck at funerals. I cut off heads."
Be the change you want to see.
J'ai aime. J'ai souffert. Maintenant je hais.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 04:34:36 Reply

If you want cryptic, Metroid is worse than Zelda 1.
Many gamers in that period loved it cryptic. They were not the kind for wham, bam, thank you mam solutions that we all seem to want now.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 08:17:26 Reply

At 5/16/17 07:15 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I feel like the first Zelda is one of those games that has aged remarkably well. Probably better than just about anything else from that era. I also felt that it was pretty straightforward in terms of what you are supposed to do, even if it could be a pain to figure out where to go next.

I played through a bit of Zelda I recently and I was pleasantly surprised how straightforward most of it was. Of course, if you're familiar with the series and have a passing knowledge of the game you know to bomb walls and burn down trees. I wonder how long I'd be wandering around if I knew nothing and had to stumble on those facts. The manual only cheekily alludes to ways to open up secrets and I didn't find NPC hints either.

Of course it was a different time and I don't think people were as adverse to getting stuck for days like we are now.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 11:14:26 Reply

At 5/18/17 04:34 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If you want cryptic, Metroid is worse than Zelda 1.
Many gamers in that period loved it cryptic. They were not the kind for wham, bam, thank you mam solutions that we all seem to want now.

I only remember playing Super Metroid when i had Wii. Getting wii soon again.

But that game was fun and made sense. Zelda 1 was just whatever type of game.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 11:21:39 Reply

At 5/18/17 11:14 AM, Sein324 wrote:
At 5/18/17 04:34 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If you want cryptic, Metroid is worse than Zelda 1.
I only remember playing Super Metroid when i had Wii. Getting wii soon again.

But that game was fun and made sense. Zelda 1 was just whatever type of game.

I don't know, Zelda 1 made more sense to me. Super Metroid, I will grant you, upgraded their mechanics quite a bit. Original Metroid might as well have been whatever, because it functions so differently to what we know.

Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 11:34:16 Reply

Well i havent tried the original NES one. May try it once after i beat FF1 first atleast

thenoodge
thenoodge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 14:10:21 Reply

At 5/18/17 08:17 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 5/16/17 07:15 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
I wonder how long I'd be wandering around if I knew nothing and had to stumble on those facts. The manual only cheekily alludes to ways to open up secrets and I didn't find NPC hints either.

That's why you had to have Nintendo Power™! From a time before YouTube, or even GameFAQS.

Zelda 1 i think is the worst game

Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate

At 5/18/17 02:10 PM, thenoodge wrote:
I wonder how long I'd be wandering around if I knew nothing and had to stumble on those facts. The manual only cheekily alludes to ways to open up secrets and I didn't find NPC hints either.

That's why you had to have Nintendo Power™! From a time before YouTube, or even GameFAQS.

Excuse me for not being born in the North American continent where Nintendo Power was a thing. But then again the first zelda game i tried was A Link to the Past that i borrowed from a friend on the Super Nintendo as a kid.

But like i said. NES was never that popular in Europe to begin with, actually SEGA Master System actually did better. I think it just gained US interest because the console gaming industry crashed and NES was sort of the one that made americans get their interest in it. In Europe it was all Commodore 64 or Amiga (i can confirm because my brother told me he was so glad when he got those computers, and he was born in 1981) I am a 1991 model. SNES most likely did better though.

In either case i think its untrue that it saved gaming, i mean unless someone believes US american developers wouldnt develop it for computers like Doom for example. Besides it wasnt crashing in Europe or USSR at the time. I actually just think NES became popular as an excuse to censor stuff, because the 1993 senate stuff was heavily blaming SEGA for blood in video games in 1993 court on video game violence, while nintendo censored it in games such as Mortal Kombat and got away with it. Which is why 1994 the ESRB rating came out which is on all video games nowadays.

Here is a video that sort of prooves that the NES was only glorified in USA, but the rest of the world nobody cared i think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3s4BEghpX4

thenoodge
thenoodge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 15:11:00 Reply

At 5/18/17 03:02 PM, Sein324 wrote:
Excuse me for not being born in the North American continent where Nintendo Power was a thing.

Umm...you're excused?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 15:12:18 Reply

Excuse me for not being born in the North American continent where Nintendo Power was a thing

But like i said. NES was never that popular in Europe to begin with. I think it just gained US interest because the console gaming industry crashed and NES was sort of the one that made americans get their interest in it. In Europe it was all Commodore 64 or Amiga (i can confirm because my brother told me he was so glad when he got those computers, and he was born in 1981) I am a 1991 model. SNES most likely did better though.

In either case i think its untrue that it saved gaming, i mean unless someone believes US american developers wouldnt develop it for computers like Doom for example. Besides it wasnt crashing in Europe or USSR at the time. I actually just think NES became popular as an excuse to censor stuff, because the 1993 senate stuff was heavily blaming SEGA for blood in video games in 1993 court on video game violence, while nintendo censored it in games such as Mortal Kombat and got away with it. Which is why 1994 the ESBR rating came out which is on all video games nowadays.

Here is a video that sort of prooves that the NES was only glorified in USA, but the rest of the world nobody cared i think.

Here we go again, someone badmouthing the NES because he wasn't even bothered to play actually GOOD games on the NES. I might also add, Europe is the one major continent where the NES never took off, because it sure as hell took off in Asia where I grew up. Some of us even got the Japanese versions of the game, without censoring anything. Kids my age loved SMB 1 and played it long before it was cool in the rest of the world. So don't be butthurt just because you can't be arsed to actually research good NES games.

In fact, the main reason it didn't take off is because of Mattel, whom we know by their own consoles are piss-poor at video game marketing.

Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 15:21:10 Reply

At 5/18/17 03:12 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

Excuse me for not being born in the North American continent where Nintendo Power was a thing

But like i said. NES was never that popular in Europe to begin with. I think it just gained US interest because the console gaming industry crashed and NES was sort of the one that made americans get their interest in it. In Europe it was all Commodore 64 or Amiga (i can confirm because my brother told me he was so glad when he got those computers, and he was born in 1981) I am a 1991 model. SNES most likely did better though.

In either case i think its untrue that it saved gaming, i mean unless someone believes US american developers wouldnt develop it for computers like Doom for example. Besides it wasnt crashing in Europe or USSR at the time. I actually just think NES became popular as an excuse to censor stuff, because the 1993 senate stuff was heavily blaming SEGA for blood in video games in 1993 court on video game violence, while nintendo censored it in games such as Mortal Kombat and got away with it. Which is why 1994 the ESBR rating came out which is on all video games nowadays.

Here we go again, someone badmouthing the NES because he wasn't even bothered to play actually GOOD games on the NES. I might also add, Europe is the one major continent where the NES never took off, because it sure as hell took off in Asia where I grew up. Some of us even got the Japanese versions of the game, without censoring anything. Kids my age loved SMB 1 and played it long before it was cool in the rest of the world. So don't be butthurt just because you can't be arsed to actually research good NES games.

In fact, the main reason it didn't take off is because of Mattel, whom we know by their own consoles are piss-poor at video game marketing.

The NES didnt really have that much interesting games compared to the 90s in my views. I mean its funny how people think because of one attention spamming jerk online saying Castlevania 2 is bad that must be a fact, i mean its not perfect but it atleast lets me think somewhat compared to just running through the game like 1 and 3. But even computer games was better in my views such as DOS games. Like King's Quest 1 is still a classic in my view. Even though i never was actually born when it was released, but i admire the clever walk and write to get items and think and stuff.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy

At 5/18/17 03:21 PM, Sein324 wrote: But even computer games was better in my views such as DOS games. Like King's Quest 1 is still a classic in my view. Even though i never was actually born when it was released, but i admire the clever walk and write to get items and think and stuff.

Are you for real? You can't knock Zelda for being obtuse and then let King's Quest off the hook. Those games are legendary for their convoluted puzzles. I don't know much about the European PC scene from that era but at least in the states by and large console games had clearer logic behind them than their PC counterparts.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Sein324
Sein324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate

At 5/18/17 03:45 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 5/18/17 03:21 PM, Sein324 wrote: But even computer games was better in my views such as DOS games. Like King's Quest 1 is still a classic in my view. Even though i never was actually born when it was released, but i admire the clever walk and write to get items and think and stuff.
Are you for real? You can't knock Zelda for being obtuse and then let King's Quest off the hook. Those games are legendary for their convoluted puzzles. I don't know much about the European PC scene from that era but at least in the states by and large console games had clearer logic behind them than their PC counterparts.

Its not convoluted, its just try and think what to write. For example when i got up on that well, "climb basket" or something. I was confused, i was like "Climb down" ok that didnt work "jump down" that didnt work. So i wrote "climb" it said "what do you want to climb?" hmm... climb rope? Boom it works... and then went for a dive once i figured it out. Its just about saving and trying and figure something out. Zelda 1 is just cryptic and makes zero sense what to do. I mean Tomb Raider 1 is hard, but its not impossible and has lots of mazes and stuff. But i still think its great to be that old of a game on PS1.

But ey, i still dont think Zelda 2 was that bad atleast. It kept things sort of interesting and that made more sense on what to do and had action leveling up system which i liked. But i overall am not huge fan of Zelda games on either NES.

asdfsilax
asdfsilax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 16:33:13 Reply

I think its one of those things where for its time it was great but its successor while be objectively better for the time was not, I have good memories of cod mw2 but thought mw3 was mediocre shit even though the multiplayer is better so im allways going to think lesser of it when I dont think about it but the reality is theyre both not worth playing today like most classics are.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Movie Buff

I love Zelda 1. Played it for the first time within the last five years so it's not nostalgia, and I'm not a big nintendo fan either. That said, it operates on a different standard to games today and I would never recommend it unless someone was patient and particularly into retro games. You're not obligated to like it for being a classic game, and playing something you don't like three times is pretty ridiculous.

The NES was absolutely the best console ever made at the time, to such an extent that I could almost claim it's objective. The SNES had steadier competition and the european version is such an annoyingly compromised experience but it still had easily the best library of that generation.

N64 is where they totally dropped the ball and never recovered. Even if they had been actually really trying for that gen there's just no competing with the Playstation, it outsold the N64 on a ratio of something like 9:1 everywhere outside of the US.

I actually agree that Nintendo's importance in gaming is overblown, but the NES showed up at a crucial time and it's incrediby myopic to think the US gaming market isn't important to how games have evolved worldwide.

Is Metroid cryptic? You can get lost but I didn't find it confusing to play through or have to operate on any bizarro moon logic. There's nothing comparable to the whole tornado thing in Castlevania II for example. Metroid is one of my favourite NES games actually, it's hard but straight forward, and the only missable things iirc are inessential bonuses.

Metroid II is significantly more annoying due to a bigger map but with graphics that make every area look identical, but I quite enjoyed that too.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 17:24:40 Reply

At 5/18/17 04:33 PM, asdfsilax wrote: I think its one of those things where for its time it was great but its successor while be objectively better for the time was not, I have good memories of cod mw2 but thought mw3 was mediocre shit even though the multiplayer is better so im allways going to think lesser of it when I dont think about it but the reality is theyre both not worth playing today like most classics are.

Uh, I don't exactly know how MW got into the conversation with Zelda.

Anyway, I haven't played the first Zelda, (the first one I played was A Link to the Past) so I can't really say much about it. Having said that, it would be wrong to dismiss the impact that it had, not just on the NES, but gaming in general. Nintendo never really took off in Europe during the 80's, (it's not called the North American video game crash of 1983 for nothing) because they had the Amiga and Sega Master System took off.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-18 18:51:42 Reply

North Americans were just tired of seeing the same-old, half-assed, broken crap and wanted a change.

Nintendo not only brought in games not seen before by the masses, but brought in something not seen in the previous generation: Quality control.

The game crash of '83 left a vacuum, and Nintendo was the first to fill it.

MPPlantOfficial
MPPlantOfficial
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-19 17:07:36 Reply

Wouldn't call it the 'worst'.
Wouldn't call it a 'bad game' either.
It's just outdated (as much as people refuse to admit.) It's very much of it's era when kids had Nintendo power and were sharing tips among each other on schoolbuses and lunchbreaks.

Coming from a 3rd world country, we didn't even have a NES much less Nintendo Power.
All we had were Famicom with Multicarts and if one of the '800 in 1' was Zelda it becomes unplayable at one point since there's no guide nor someone who knows the next step.

As far as Zelda goes I think LTTP was perfection. Even with SNES/PSX Jrpgs it's one truly timeless title that doesn't waste your time with random battles and having to watch spell animations over and over again.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-05-21 22:01:33 Reply

At 5/21/17 08:23 PM, sjwgenocide wrote:
At 5/18/17 04:34 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Many gamers in that period loved it cryptic. They were not the kind for wham, bam, thank you mam solutions that we all seem to want now.
that makes sense, especially after the quite negative reaction to nicalis cramming isaac: rebirth full of stupid bullshit in the last dlc a few months ago. i think the difference is that in 1987 all kids had were like at most three video games and couldn't really research what games aren't stupid so all the games were made ball-bustingly difficult since it's not like the people playing them had anything better to do.

Also, a lot of those games back then (not necessarily Zelda, but the premise is similar) were based off arcade games, which were usually designed to be difficult in order to get more quarters from kids, which in turn, game developers modeled their games after arcades. Once stand-alone arcades started to disappear and stories and gameplay started to get more complex, there was no need to model after arcade games anymore, which meant lowering the difficulty to a more approachable level among other things.

Furthermore, there was no Internet to find solutions to games, the best you could do was to get a Nintendo Power/strategy guide or call a tip line and hope that they steer you in the right direction, which cost money, and I'm fairly certain that most parents weren't keen on spending more money than necessary on what they considered kids' toys.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
CaveDancer
CaveDancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-08-13 13:01:32 Reply

People like it, because they think it is not the worst zelda.
That Prize goes on for all Zelda games on the CD-i

Wafflesmash
Wafflesmash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Zelda 1 i think is the worst game 2017-08-14 15:08:35 Reply

At 5/16/17 06:13 PM, Sein324 wrote: Dont know why so many like it.

I played it 3 times just to make sure that i liked it or not.

1 time normal
2nd time on 2nd quest.
And 3rd time to be sure if there was no secret on the same save file 2nd quest again.

Nope... nothing new. Ok.

While Zelda 2 i dont think is the best, i think it was sort of more fun and action orianted.

What i hate is its cryptic and makes no sense to me. Like if i played this in the 80s of north america video game crash, which was the reason why they glorify nintendo because America is the world, and havent they gotten their interest in video game consoles after the north american video game crash with Atari, video games would be dead. I mean Europe didnt even give a crap about NES, they cared more for computer games and Sega Mastersystem.

So yeah... NES is possibly...a glorified retro stuff in some part of the world. And somehow my brother was playing on Commodore 64 or Amiga computer, no wonder i never heard of someone owning a NES. Super Nintendo on the other hand did ok in Europe til SONY Playstation owned it!

But i have a feeling Nintendo did well because then the senate could censor violence like blood and stuff in games, which is why SEGA got most of the blame in 1993 violence in video games, compared to Nintendo. So seems like it was a perfect family friendly console where nothing could go wrong.

Zelda 1 is alright, it's one of the first games to do what it did. It had an open world and you were always exploring new areas and finding new things, it had fun dungeons and getting your reward at the end of them was always super satisfying. A way I could see someone not liking the game is dying a lot, or getting stuck, which does happen. getting stuck will always happen but most of the time it is overcome and you feel great afterward. Dying can be fixed easily by collecting money for an upgrade or collecting heart pieces, and the overworld enemies don't get much more difficult from the start, and that's another well-done part of the game, having power over all the enemies who once had power over you is one of the coolest things ever. My only bad experience with zelda 1 was when I got to the last dungeon and entered the final boss room without the last item needed to beat the game, unable to escape because I put in an infinite health cheat so my little sister could play without dying, preventing me from dying. Last thing: Zelda 2 is great and all but it expected you to do things only the people who made it could think about, other than that, Zelda 2 is pretty rad. Sorry for this incredibly long text.

BBS Signature