00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to become popular?

2,750 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Im working, working, WORKING... but... nothing
Where's the secret?

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 10:16:40

I don't know what you consider as "popular" but to build a fanbase you need to first and foremost make creative music that people can enjoy. You need to try to give the listeners a reason to want to follow you and hear more of your stuff.

Bring active in the community, reviewing and self-advertising will only get your tracks more exposure, it won't automatically give you fans if the production quality is low.

My advice to you would be to just keep working and strive to become a better music producer. Honestly I think it's bad to make music with "getting popular" as your motivation, but if that helps you improve it's as valid as any motivation.

Well to sum it up I'm basically telling you to work harder than you are.

Just a random idiot

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 10:29:01

30% quality 70% spam

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 10:35:16

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 14:06:03

By being friends with the guys that run things and host competitions, amirite?

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 19:06:43

buying views and votes like most kids on here... jk.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 20:10:56

At 5/9/17 10:09 AM, ItsALoToss wrote: Im working, working, WORKING... but... nothing
Where's the secret?

Quality over quantity. Set yourself a schedule, and put time into each one. But just make sure you know how to use your software first.

one positive about being an annoying child who didnt know what they were doing and who got internet access way too early is that you can explicitly know what NOT to do

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 20:18:22

At 5/9/17 10:09 AM, ItsALoToss wrote: Im working, working, WORKING... but... nothing
Where's the secret?

You have to join the NG Illuminati club. Good luck finding the thread, but I'm pretty sure there's a blood sacrifice involved, and you might have to get naked. Just warning you!

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 21:45:09

At 5/9/17 08:18 PM, EoD696 wrote:
Where's the secret?
You have to join the NG Illuminati club. Good luck finding the thread, but I'm pretty sure there's a blood sacrifice involved, and you might have to get naked. Just warning you!

dick pic while you at it. remember to snapchat it.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-14 20:58:58

have titties

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 01:33:02

At 5/14/17 08:58 PM, Alias wrote: have titties

It dun work if you actually have titties and are composing; I think you pretty much suffer the same fate unless you get a lucky break.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 02:32:32

I think the secret is to use the most expensive plugins you can find, a 48-channel desk in a million dollar studio with million dollar monitors and an unashamed will to self-promote constantly whether or not people are listening.

For a less snarky answer, look at the link Troisnyx shared where I gave a real one. Good luck. You're only 16. There are people who have been working at it for longer than you've been alive who still aren't superdudebillionaires, so be patient and keep working. If you're doing this for fame, you're doing it wrong.

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 03:28:02

Where's the secret?

Work with people, make a name for yourself.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 04:58:25

Oh and by the way, OP, I took a listen to your other audio submissions.
I am glad that you are improvising and experimenting -- that is the best way to learn sometimes.

But lol, they were all wack. Out of place instruments, out of place notes, things that clash with each other... I mean, is it any wonder that other people aren't listening?

Start improving on your musical know-how first and foremost.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 05:20:18

Where's the secret?

You can paddle a canoe against a current all day long. Will you get tired? Yes. Did you do any actual work? No.

The trick is to do it the way it works.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 06:31:54

Give up. You will never be popular.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 08:37:46

Get your song used in Geometry Dash

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 23:06:43

Where's the secret?

In simple terms;

1. Skill and uniqueness that distinguish your material from the others that surround it.
2. Good marketing and business decisions/plan. They both need to work hand in hand to be affective.
3. Connections. The music industry is a connection based one, get to know people who can help spread the word of your marketing and business plan.

Hope this helps,

- Mitch

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 23:24:31

Find or create a unique niche and be the best at filling that niche.

If you produce work that has thousands of people already doing it you are competing with many people that have a head start and very hard to get noticed among all that work.

Create a unique style/product that is hard for anyone else to copy and then focus on being the best at it and promote it to people that have an interest in that unique style. Find out what social networks they use and post there and develop a following.

Don't it expect to happen fast and over night sensations are rare and one hit wonders are only popular for a minute. You want long term popularity not flash in the pan.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 03:34:58

At 5/15/17 08:37 AM, Soutfast wrote: Get your song used in Geometry Dash

Done, didn't work. ;P

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 09:49:33

if you're making music to gain popularity, you're making music for the wrong reason. just do what you want and maybe people will like what you do.

At 5/15/17 06:31 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: Give up. You will never be popular.

i bet you're a hoot at parties

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 10:06:10

Tell people what they want to hear.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 11:56:54

At 5/16/17 09:49 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: if you're making music to gain popularity, you're making music for the wrong reason. just do what you want and maybe people will like what you do.

At 5/15/17 06:31 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: Give up. You will never be popular.
i bet you're a hoot at parties

It's reverse psychology. You tell them it's impossible, and they either give up, or it makes them want to try harder. Way to ruin the illusion!

Master of questionable life choices

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 13:31:22

Where's the secret?

I think we should be honest with him. Many of us have a NG's marketing agents. I hired @RealFaction, he gave me a discount at $30 a month.

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 13:52:55

At 5/16/17 01:31 PM, EvilRaccoon wrote:
Where's the secret?
I think we should be honest with him. Many of us have a NG's marketing agents. I hired @RealFaction, he gave me a discount at $30 a month.

hahah $30?

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 15:40:52

At 5/16/17 02:55 PM, RealFaction wrote: Biography of life.

See... @ItsALoToss that's how you do it. You start at the beginning.

I didn't mean for you to right an epic story RF. It's quite interesting certain songs really seemed to push you forward. You've come to grow up to be such a big boy. You've turned out to be a big strapping lad, and we're so proud. Now rock me to sleep, stroke my forehead and sing me a lullaby.

;)

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 15:46:30

where's the secret?
Popular isn't really popular in the way you might think.
You can find that the secret is located in everybody else. Be a friend, and you'll make a friend. Then you'll realize that popularity isn't really the thing to be desired. True friends can be counted on one hand, but when you find them, they're better than a thousand acquaintances.

But if you mean "popular" in a superficial way, Josh Homme says, "If you wanna be famous, then it's okay if the music is fake, because fame isn't real."
So go write some fake music.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 19:21:14

Where's the secret?

Popularity is overrated. That's the real secret. It gets really old, really fast. Others will govern what you make and how you spend your time. Eventually, the desire for a little peace and quiet will become your new goal.

If all you try to do is please others to gain some misguided sense of fame, well...that's nothing more than selling out. Do what you love to do because you love to do it!

Screw the rest.

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 20:24:29

Keep working.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-18 00:42:35

At 5/16/17 11:56 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: It's reverse psychology. You tell them it's impossible, and they either give up, or it makes them want to try harder. Way to ruin the illusion!

OH SHIIIIT my bad yo. i didn't realize you employing such advanced tactics

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature