Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 10:16:40 Reply

I don't know what you consider as "popular" but to build a fanbase you need to first and foremost make creative music that people can enjoy. You need to try to give the listeners a reason to want to follow you and hear more of your stuff.

Bring active in the community, reviewing and self-advertising will only get your tracks more exposure, it won't automatically give you fans if the production quality is low.

My advice to you would be to just keep working and strive to become a better music producer. Honestly I think it's bad to make music with "getting popular" as your motivation, but if that helps you improve it's as valid as any motivation.

Well to sum it up I'm basically telling you to work harder than you are.

New Track - The Lonely Hermit
Need good feedback? Consider checking out the Review Request Club
Ectisity - Leader of the {Review Request Club}

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 10:29:01 Reply

30% quality 70% spam

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 14:06:03 Reply

By being friends with the guys that run things and host competitions, amirite?

Check out my EP ''Joystick Junkie''

BBS Signature
SnowTeddy
SnowTeddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 19:06:43 Reply

buying views and votes like most kids on here... jk.

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

GearWax
GearWax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 20:10:56 Reply

At 5/9/17 10:09 AM, ItsALoToss wrote: Im working, working, WORKING... but... nothing
Where's the secret?

Quality over quantity. Set yourself a schedule, and put time into each one. But just make sure you know how to use your software first.

EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 20:18:22 Reply

At 5/9/17 10:09 AM, ItsALoToss wrote: Im working, working, WORKING... but... nothing
Where's the secret?

You have to join the NG Illuminati club. Good luck finding the thread, but I'm pretty sure there's a blood sacrifice involved, and you might have to get naked. Just warning you!

Show some love.
The latest from EoD

DISCLAIMER: I can be a dick sometimes. Just call me on it - say "EoD, you're being a dick right now" and I will try to curb my enthusiasm.

BBS Signature
SnowTeddy
SnowTeddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-09 21:45:09 Reply

At 5/9/17 08:18 PM, EoD696 wrote:
Where's the secret?
You have to join the NG Illuminati club. Good luck finding the thread, but I'm pretty sure there's a blood sacrifice involved, and you might have to get naked. Just warning you!

dick pic while you at it. remember to snapchat it.

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

Alias
Alias
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Reader
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-14 20:58:58 Reply

have titties

slopndoodle
slopndoodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-14 22:22:31 (edited 2017-05-14 22:24:02) Reply

you gotta suck that pussy hole like jesus at the last supper

watertemplefml
watertemplefml
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-14 23:36:15 Reply

draw a nice pair of jugs!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 01:33:02 Reply

At 5/14/17 08:58 PM, Alias wrote: have titties

It dun work if you actually have titties and are composing; I think you pretty much suffer the same fate unless you get a lucky break.

McGorilla42
McGorilla42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 02:32:32 Reply

I think the secret is to use the most expensive plugins you can find, a 48-channel desk in a million dollar studio with million dollar monitors and an unashamed will to self-promote constantly whether or not people are listening.

For a less snarky answer, look at the link Troisnyx shared where I gave a real one. Good luck. You're only 16. There are people who have been working at it for longer than you've been alive who still aren't superdudebillionaires, so be patient and keep working. If you're doing this for fame, you're doing it wrong.

YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 03:28:02 Reply

Where's the secret?

Work with people, make a name for yourself.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 04:58:25 Reply

Oh and by the way, OP, I took a listen to your other audio submissions.
I am glad that you are improvising and experimenting -- that is the best way to learn sometimes.

But lol, they were all wack. Out of place instruments, out of place notes, things that clash with each other... I mean, is it any wonder that other people aren't listening?

Start improving on your musical know-how first and foremost.

PanzerJig
PanzerJig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 05:20:18 Reply

Where's the secret?

You can paddle a canoe against a current all day long. Will you get tired? Yes. Did you do any actual work? No.

The trick is to do it the way it works.

MinatoArisato
MinatoArisato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 06:31:54 Reply

Give up. You will never be popular.

Leave me a comment sometime, It means a lot to me.

Soutfast
Soutfast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 08:37:46 Reply

Get your song used in Geometry Dash

SRT-M1tch
SRT-M1tch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 23:06:43 Reply

Where's the secret?

In simple terms;

1. Skill and uniqueness that distinguish your material from the others that surround it.
2. Good marketing and business decisions/plan. They both need to work hand in hand to be affective.
3. Connections. The music industry is a connection based one, get to know people who can help spread the word of your marketing and business plan.

Hope this helps,

- Mitch

RadicalGames
RadicalGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-15 23:24:31 Reply

Find or create a unique niche and be the best at filling that niche.

If you produce work that has thousands of people already doing it you are competing with many people that have a head start and very hard to get noticed among all that work.

Create a unique style/product that is hard for anyone else to copy and then focus on being the best at it and promote it to people that have an interest in that unique style. Find out what social networks they use and post there and develop a following.

Don't it expect to happen fast and over night sensations are rare and one hit wonders are only popular for a minute. You want long term popularity not flash in the pan.

DJ-CJ-Doty
DJ-CJ-Doty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 03:34:58 Reply

At 5/15/17 08:37 AM, Soutfast wrote: Get your song used in Geometry Dash

Done, didn't work. ;P

Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 09:49:33 Reply

if you're making music to gain popularity, you're making music for the wrong reason. just do what you want and maybe people will like what you do.

At 5/15/17 06:31 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: Give up. You will never be popular.

i bet you're a hoot at parties

It doesn't sound good, but it sounds better than it used to.

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Game Developer
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 10:06:10 Reply

Tell people what they want to hear.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

MinatoArisato
MinatoArisato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Art Lover
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 11:56:54 Reply

At 5/16/17 09:49 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: if you're making music to gain popularity, you're making music for the wrong reason. just do what you want and maybe people will like what you do.

At 5/15/17 06:31 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: Give up. You will never be popular.
i bet you're a hoot at parties

It's reverse psychology. You tell them it's impossible, and they either give up, or it makes them want to try harder. Way to ruin the illusion!

Leave me a comment sometime, It means a lot to me.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 13:16:33 Reply

Find a workable gimmick for your creative in both your music and general imagery and bleed every single bit of usability & marketability out of it as possible. Consider infiltrating multiple communities and low-key advertise over time.

|| Electro-Industrial Musician || Power Fry Vocalist || RIP 3500-Posts || Signing Up To Mail Lists So You Don't Have To ||

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 13:31:22 Reply

Where's the secret?

I think we should be honest with him. Many of us have a NG's marketing agents. I hired @RealFaction, he gave me a discount at $30 a month.

aka. Peter Satera

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 13:52:55 Reply

At 5/16/17 01:31 PM, EvilRaccoon wrote:
Where's the secret?
I think we should be honest with him. Many of us have a NG's marketing agents. I hired @RealFaction, he gave me a discount at $30 a month.

hahah $30?

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 14:55:00 (edited 2017-05-16 14:57:06) Reply

At 5/16/17 01:31 PM, EvilRaccoon wrote:
Where's the secret?

Oh ha ha :P you were popular before I was, I think. But I do try to help people get more attention through my contests and newsposts sometimes every now and then. As for me, I'll give you my "origin" of popularity.

In 2008, back when the weekly Top 5 was a thing on the old Audio Portal page (god I miss that, it was glorious), in April, I released a song called "Clearing the Sky" (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/137041) . From that point on, people started looking at my music, as crappy of a song that was. Then, Tom Fulp himself checked out my music, apparently there was a contest for Castle Crashers' soundtrack I wasn't aware of going on around that time I think?

I didn't enter the contest because I didn't know about it, but apparently Tom and friends were a song short, were looking for a song for the Necromancer boss fight. So, he asked me via email if he could use Simple Sight (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/120136) for Castle Crashers, then my fame skyrocketed...well, not really, but the song did. People know more about the song than me, notice my youtube views you'll see what I mean.

The song itself was made under my Piercing Lazer side project I started in 2007, it was for my second album. I was 16 at the time, released the song January of that year. But then, from late 2008 to 2010, my fame also brought me a hacker, who ruined my chance to take advantage of the fame to promote my other music. Eventually people thought I was dead. 2 years later, I get my account back, find out where the hacker lives (sort of) and he's gone. But I had to really work hard to get my popularity back.

Oh one more thing, I DID occasionally enter Madness Day music contests. In 2008 I won first place with this crappy little tune which helped my popularity: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/167622 so yeah contests help.

I got it back in...i think it was around 2012 or 2013, yeah it took a while. I started doing more contests, and my Art-Inspired Music Contests (A.I.M.) funny enough, is what launched my popularity back upward, alongside me occasionally getting my music front-paged over the years. Then I started Pixel Day with pitching Tom the idea back in...2015.

I started making music in 2006, so yeah it took years. Worth it. I'm passionate about what I do. Most are not as fortunate as I have been working with Tom, but just in general, being on the site for a while and improving your skills, even entering contests like AIM to get feedback on your music to help you improve helps, and looking at online tutorial videos. It takes time to get better at anything you do.

I'm 25 now, been making music since I was 14 in 2006 on here. Eventually, once you've improved enough, you might just get your work front-paged, or do better in contests, or get noticed in the audio section in general with the "most popular" of the week list. But whatever you do, DO NOT rate your own songs 5, that will get ya avoided and "zero-bombed", getting you bad ratings. Take time to experiment, find your style, or many styles. I have like 20 different styles at least, and more, from experimenting over the years, look at my submissions, they're all over the place really.

Interact and network with these awesome musicians. the Review Request Club is a good place to go and Audio Advertisements too to get your stuff out there, and feedback, in the audio forum. Just make sure to read the very first part of the forum before making a new post to reply with. Hope all this helps!

EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to How to become popular? 2017-05-16 15:40:52 Reply

At 5/16/17 02:55 PM, RealFaction wrote: Biography of life.

See... @ItsALoToss that's how you do it. You start at the beginning.

I didn't mean for you to right an epic story RF. It's quite interesting certain songs really seemed to push you forward. You've come to grow up to be such a big boy. You've turned out to be a big strapping lad, and we're so proud. Now rock me to sleep, stroke my forehead and sing me a lullaby.

;)

aka. Peter Satera

BBS Signature