00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more

393 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

As was suggested, this will be a thread where I talk about where I'm at.. My art, along with questions. It is apparently rude to create multiple threads.. So here we go! WOOT.

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-05 13:13:50

I'm almost done with my first ever Project, which is my thoughts on the recent bomb of syria. I was hoping to transfer my traditional images onto digital art to make it stand out - but that's not occurring.. Digital Art is harder then actual pen and paper. I didn't think that was possible.

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 13:43:47

Fa-Fa-Faces.. so started a focus on faces after doing the comic strip.. and working with my intuit.. Man, Intuit is hard - whole different beast..

Working on my faces.. I like 5 and 7.. The others have various issues.

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 17:09:17

Is the one about Syria a storyboard for a video or where you planing on a comic kinda thing?
That's a pretty powerful subject, i like how you tried to capture the general view of the city. And especially the girl curled up while bombs fall above her...that's some pretty heavy stuff.

It seems that you got some ideas...now the only think you need is some technique ;)

My suggestion is this
If the Syria one was indeed a comic you should look into putting some composition in it...The eyes will be able to flow easily through the story and not get tired
something like this (there are many other ways depending on the vibe and style you wanna give to your work)

The faces also definitely need some work..I would say your best is prob n.3 solely based on the construction. You see, just drawing a general shape and putting some eyes on it will ultimately make your work look kinda odd...you know?
On the other hand if you put a good construction under those lovely mugs, even if your drawing skills are not that good the face will look "right"
Something like that

The final step you have to make is all about them colors. They are the ones that set the mood, the ones that can make you laugh or cry, the ones you will put your own feelings in. Think of it like this..if you squint your eyes to the point where a piece of art is just a blur, and you only see colors; what's the vibe you're getting?
Let's take the syria example for a sec, putting the drawing aside...you got some vibrant colors there, purple, green and even some yellow and cyan...do you think those colors give the feeling of disaster?
My suggestion with colors is study some color theories, try to embrace them....and then just trust your feelings, that's all you need ;)

Technique wise you definitely need some practice...we all do after all, improvement never stops! But that's very minor imo, it can be worked on (practice makes perfect after all) ...all it take is to have nice ideas and a lot of passion!

I liked that you tried to tackle something like the bombing in Syria, unfortunately you don't see that many people that care anymore.

I hope i helped somewhat :)
Good luck!

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 17:14:57

At 5/10/17 01:43 PM, AnimatedApprentice wrote: Fa-Fa-Faces.. so started a focus on faces after doing the comic strip.. and working with my intuit.. Man, Intuit is hard - whole different beast..

The one the middle is like something out of kingdom hearts.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 17:32:19

At 5/10/17 05:09 PM, Yioryos wrote: Is the one about Syria a storyboard for a video or where you planing on a comic kinda thing?

It was a comic strip. I actually have all of the panes 'done' .. In that I've done them and moved on for now. I never put it together and published it, I should. A lot of people have complimented me on that. Thank you ;)

That's a pretty powerful subject, i like how you tried to capture the general view of the city. And especially the girl curled up while bombs fall above her...that's some pretty heavy stuff.

It seems that you got some ideas...now the only think you need is some technique ;)

My suggestion is this
If the Syria one was indeed a comic you should look into putting some composition in it...The eyes will be able to flow easily through the story and not get tired
something like this (there are many other ways depending on the vibe and style you wanna give to your work)

Thanks. I will take a look at this and then put it together. Ultimately, the story is about how we only intervened when Sarin Gas was used and then.. we only did for a day. But people are suffering every day - Children die by bombs and bullets .. and we don't really do the actions we did. I wanted to do it in a way that wasn't necessarily a judgement, but was what actually happened. When I put it together, I'll ping you to show you the final product. ;)

The faces also definitely need some work..I would say your best is prob n.3 solely based on the construction. You see, just drawing a general shape and putting some eyes on it will ultimately make your work look kinda odd...you know?
On the other hand if you put a good construction under those lovely mugs, even if your drawing skills are not that good the face will look "right"
Something like that

If I am being honest, I tried the construction method first (because everyone does it - I'm betting for a reason) and I never could make the eyes. Never enough space. So I started drawing the eyes first, and then drew everything around that. I actually like no. 5 , no. 4, and no. 7 - But you're saying that they are 'off' then? I suppose I'll need to bite the bullet and do it the construction method. Any tips for drawing eyes in that regard then? Or just practice?

I completely suck at drawing. I /suck/. I honestly think I have made progress (been doing this a month). I draw 3-5 hours a day M-F and I get tutoring sessions for one hour. I can't do a fancy school, I am afraid.. But I know some would say they can't afford to draw as a part time job (15-25 hours which is what I do).. So I'll thank the world for what I get ;) I appreciate any feedback you give though.

The final step you have to make is all about them colors. They are the ones that set the mood, the ones that can make you laugh or cry, the ones you will put your own feelings in. Think of it like this..if you squint your eyes to the point where a piece of art is just a blur, and you only see colors; what's the vibe you're getting?
Let's take the syria example for a sec, putting the drawing aside...you got some vibrant colors there, purple, green and even some yellow and cyan...do you think those colors give the feeling of disaster?
My suggestion with colors is study some color theories, try to embrace them....and then just trust your feelings, that's all you need ;)

The coloring is just to make the construction pop. I'm going to stop coloring them and once I get more comfortable drawing, move back into coloring. I'll definetly be doing this at that stage though.

I liked that you tried to tackle something like the bombing in Syria, unfortunately you don't see that many people that care anymore.

I hope to have a mix of drawing in the end. I will definetly be doing quite a few drawings that are based on tragedy, or politics. I've always wanted to draw. Always.. I think its one of the best ways to explore humanity.

I hope i helped somewhat :)

This was tremendous..Thank you so much!

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 17:32:49

At 5/10/17 05:14 PM, MinatoArisato wrote:
At 5/10/17 01:43 PM, AnimatedApprentice wrote: Fa-Fa-Faces.. so started a focus on faces after doing the comic strip.. and working with my intuit.. Man, Intuit is hard - whole different beast..

The one the middle is like something out of kingdom hearts.

Hah.. I kind of see that.. DEfinetly would be a 'concept' sketch.. But yea.. I actually really like that one.

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 18:29:13

If I am being honest, I tried the construction method first (because everyone does it - I'm betting for a reason) and I never could make the eyes. Never enough space. So I started drawing the eyes first, and then drew everything around that. I actually like no. 5 , no. 4, and no. 7 - But you're saying that they are 'off' then? I suppose I'll need to bite the bullet and do it the construction method. Any tips for drawing eyes in that regard then? Or just practice?

Well..if you don't have enough space, you should make your drawing bigger. Many people, especially in the beginning, tent to draw small just because it's easier and feels more comfortable on the hand, but that way you can't add detail to your pieces or make the precise.
Besides that the construction thing is just a matter of understanding, which of course comes with practice and repetition.
Andrew Loomis - Fun WIth a Pencil is a very good book that clearly explains all those construction principals, it floats everywhere around the internet, you shouldn't have a problem finding it. Even if the style in the book doesn't suit you i'm sure you'll find it very useful and be able to adapt it to your own style.

I completely suck at drawing. I /suck/. I honestly think I have made progress (been doing this a month). I draw 3-5 hours a day M-F and I get tutoring sessions for one hour. I can't do a fancy school, I am afraid.. But I know some would say they can't afford to draw as a part time job (15-25 hours which is what I do).. So I'll thank the world for what I get ;) I appreciate any feedback you give though.

Hey...everyone sucks at drawing man...at least until they find their own special style and whatnot. Just focus on the basics for now (try to learn from others not by imitating them, but by understanding their process). Also some Freehand drawing is always good to make you understand natural shapes better. It's not so much about learning how to draw....it's more about learning how to see; shapes and lines that combined will give you what you want..you'll get it if you stick with it. Just practice man, your brain will click at some point and everything will be clear ;) All you need is some commitment and patience.

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 18:37:24

Oh..you should also check out The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain it's an almost ancient relic in the world of drawing :P

It will not teach you how to draw...almost not at all....but it will teach you how to see shapes for what they truly are (you can only understand this after you experience it, really, sorry if i sound vague) and of course as the name suggests activate that creative right sided delisiousness. It's pretty big and i know it can get boring at some points but it is definitely worth your time, trust me on this, if you can understand this book it will change your whole view ;)

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-10 22:40:39

At 5/10/17 06:37 PM, Yioryos wrote: Oh..you should also check out The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain it's an almost ancient relic in the world of drawing :P

It will not teach you how to draw...almost not at all....but it will teach you how to see shapes for what they truly are (you can only understand this after you experience it, really, sorry if i sound vague) and of course as the name suggests activate that creative right sided delisiousness. It's pretty big and i know it can get boring at some points but it is definitely worth your time, trust me on this, if you can understand this book it will change your whole view ;)

I look forward to getting those books tomorrow, should be interesting reads.. I would be curious.. While all of them need work.. Of these, which do you like better or seem to have better construction?

Response to Apprentices Epic Thread (Art & more 2017-05-11 02:36:16

Of these, which do you like better or seem to have better construction?

Probably 10 + 10a,where only straight lines were needed, it seems that you get a little confused when it comes to tilting heads...Think of the construction like a basketball, how do the lines divide the ball? How would a line look if you actually took a ball and drew "straight" lines with sharpies around it?

You need to curve your lines "around" the ball in order to give it that natural volume that makes you believe it's an actual face...think something like a ring surrounding your ball.

See in the image below how my shapes look almost 3 dimensional when i curve my lines "around" the ball (just like nature!)

While straight lines give a very flat feel and in actuality have no practical use. Those will just make your art look weird.