Be a Supporter!
CharType
CharType
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
First game advice? 2017-05-04 17:19:20 Reply

I'm trying to create my first game to upload to Newgrounds and I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions/advice? As far as I can tell, the options for making games to upload to Newgrounds are Flash/Actionscript3 and HTML5/Javascript. I've made a console game in C++ before, but I've never used either of those languages. I'm thinking I'll use Javascript because it's more widely supported these days and there's more free development tools, but does anyone know of a compelling reason to use Flash? Can anyone recommend some good tutorials for Javascript or Actionscript? Thanks!

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to First game advice? 2017-05-04 17:35:22 (edited 2017-05-04 17:37:40) Reply

At 5/4/17 05:19 PM, CharType wrote: I'm trying to create my first game to upload to Newgrounds and I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions/advice? As far as I can tell, the options for making games to upload to Newgrounds are Flash/Actionscript3 and HTML5/Javascript. I've made a console game in C++ before, but I've never used either of those languages. I'm thinking I'll use Javascript because it's more widely supported these days and there's more free development tools, but does anyone know of a compelling reason to use Flash? Can anyone recommend some good tutorials for Javascript or Actionscript? Thanks!

Haxe is closer to C than JS is (C#/Java, would be the closest) and it compiles your code to multiple targets, including AS3, JavaScript/HTML5/WebGl, C++, iOS, Android Java.

If Your making a 2d game I recommend using HaxeFlixel. Which is a Haxe port of a popular AS3 engine. Though you can also use OpenFl to recreate the Flash API (MovieClips and Bitmaps and stuff). If you go OpenFL, pretty much all as3 tutorials will apply to haxe with just a few syntax differences

Note: HaxeFlixel uses OpenFl

CharType
CharType
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to First game advice? 2017-05-05 20:53:48 Reply

At 5/4/17 05:35 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Haxe is closer to C than JS is (C#/Java, would be the closest) and it compiles your code to multiple targets, including AS3, JavaScript/HTML5/WebGl, C++, iOS, Android Java.

If Your making a 2d game I recommend using HaxeFlixel. Which is a Haxe port of a popular AS3 engine. Though you can also use OpenFl to recreate the Flash API (MovieClips and Bitmaps and stuff). If you go OpenFL, pretty much all as3 tutorials will apply to haxe with just a few syntax differences

Note: HaxeFlixel uses OpenFl

Thanks! I'll try it. It looks like a potentially very powerful tool, though it is one more thing to learn. I'll learn it after I figure out the basics of Javascript.