00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When to share your art?

352 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When to share your art? 2017-05-02 12:57:01

Hey Guys, so a Question that some may find silly..

When do you start showcasing your art? I mean start saying on your facebook 'Hey, I did a thing!'

I'm 22 days (but whos counting?) into drawing. I am doing it as a part time job (3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week). I am finally o my first 'project'. It's a commentary on the Syrian Situation in comic form. It's going to be obvious its done by an Amateur - but I am putting alot of effort.

I do currently share to Deviantart and post some here. But I feel like that's among fellow artists who want to help.. Is there ever a certain quality you should strive before sharing?

Response to When to share your art? 2017-05-02 13:37:57

I'd say you should start sharing your stuff when you feel confortable doing so. I've been drawing for years and only now im starting to share my art with friends and family and it's great to be able to do so without feeling that you are being judged.
If you want them to see it but don't want them to associate you with it, you can post it to DeviantArt and then share the link on facebook without mentioning it is your work.
When you recieve criticism, look at who's giving it to you. Is it someone that you respect because of their work? if so, then listen to them, if not then it probably won't help you. It's not the same to be criticized by a fellow artist than to be criticized by someone on your friends list who has no idea what they're talking about.
I'm not the person to tell you what to do, but if I was I'd say that whatever you do, never get discouraged, always keep practicing with discipline and determination and you will do great.

Response to When to share your art? 2017-05-02 13:43:50

At 5/2/17 12:57 PM, AnimatedApprentice wrote: Hey Guys, so a Question that some may find silly..

No such thing as a silly question! (just silly answers)

You will forever be with artists that wish to help. Even at a godlike level they're surrounded by those like them and will continuously be under watchful eyes. (you'll never escape it's something you get use to) Personally, just upload and announce when YOU feel ready. You've mentioned a comic so lets say you want to tease a page and say, 'look I'm doing this thing!' if you're feeling uneasy about it and you are questioning the project itself and not the feedback/views you'd get posting this, then pause. It's about your work not other people, so think about how you feel when approaching because viewers know when something is strange about your work - your work reflects you.

By the way quickly - best of luck with your project! Keep pushing! If you put your best into it and you're enjoying it then that's the main thing. A lot of people can spend months on something and never release it, just simply because they feel it's not ready for the public eye. You don't need to let people know you're doing something, in the end of the day its your personal project. If you don't feel ready to announce something, then it's best to not do so. But you should always accept what people have to say, you can fish out the ones that don't understand what they're saying half the time (most of the time it's those type of people that have the voice, so it's okay!) But sometimes those people help you strive to become better.

Remember it doesn't matter what level or quality you are at you will be criticised at least once! Build the confidence in yourself and others will see it.

- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature

Response to When to share your art? 2017-05-02 14:36:47

At 5/2/17 01:37 PM, EfreetArtificer wrote: I'd say you should start sharing your stuff when you feel confortable doing so. I've been drawing for years and only now im starting to share my art with friends and family and it's great to be able to do so without feeling that you are being judged.
If you want them to see it but don't want them to associate you with it, you can post it to DeviantArt and then share the link on facebook without mentioning it is your work.
When you recieve criticism, look at who's giving it to you. Is it someone that you respect because of their work? if so, then listen to them, if not then it probably won't help you. It's not the same to be criticized by a fellow artist than to be criticized by someone on your friends list who has no idea what they're talking about.
I'm not the person to tell you what to do, but if I was I'd say that whatever you do, never get discouraged, always keep practicing with discipline and determination and you will do great.

Hey, Thanks. Until recently, I've always had a weight problem - so criticism and a thick skin is something that i've attained. But Yea, the things I am making are definitely better then 20+ days ago..and I am excited about completing this project. I'm just on the fence on to show it when done. I'll probably just wait until I've finished it and go from there. I appreciate your feedback, was pretty valuable. :)

Response to When to share your art? 2017-05-02 14:38:48

At 5/2/17 01:43 PM, NilesCD wrote:
At 5/2/17 12:57 PM, AnimatedApprentice wrote: Hey Guys, so a Question that some may find silly..
No such thing as a silly question! (just silly answers)

You will forever be with artists that wish to help. Even at a godlike level they're surrounded by those like them and will continuously be under watchful eyes. (you'll never escape it's something you get use to) Personally, just upload and announce when YOU feel ready. You've mentioned a comic so lets say you want to tease a page and say, 'look I'm doing this thing!' if you're feeling uneasy about it and you are questioning the project itself and not the feedback/views you'd get posting this, then pause. It's about your work not other people, so think about how you feel when approaching because viewers know when something is strange about your work - your work reflects you.

By the way quickly - best of luck with your project! Keep pushing! If you put your best into it and you're enjoying it then that's the main thing. A lot of people can spend months on something and never release it, just simply because they feel it's not ready for the public eye. You don't need to let people know you're doing something, in the end of the day its your personal project. If you don't feel ready to announce something, then it's best to not do so. But you should always accept what people have to say, you can fish out the ones that don't understand what they're saying half the time (most of the time it's those type of people that have the voice, so it's okay!) But sometimes those people help you strive to become better.

Remember it doesn't matter what level or quality you are at you will be criticized at least once! Build the confidence in yourself and others will see it.

Thanks! I agree. I've been watching quite a few people including Jazza and others. This is similar advice I've heard when it comes to drawing. I joined Newgrounds and Deviantart to get feedback and to correspond with people who have the same passion as me.

For now, the plan is to do this and get to a level that I can send my art out - if not make a career. I like the teasing idea, I think I'll do that and see what people think! Thanks..