00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scottistrash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Announcing NGCHIPS

4,744 Views | 97 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-06 23:34:47 (edited 2017-05-06 23:37:17)

At 5/6/17 11:14 PM, Zechnition wrote: I'm definitely doing this, this is a great idea.
It'll give me a good chance to not work needlessly forever on my songs and submit them sometimes. :P

Haha yeah, that is hopefully a goal here :)

EDIT: Just a side question but what are we looking at for song length limits?

There are no song length limits on either side. Do whatever inspires you. If you want to submit a 15 second piece, you can, but people probably won't vote it very well.

(if someone submits a 2 hour long piece i MAY adjust this rule)

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 12:39:20

Well I've definitely been away for a bit and didn't realize this was going on.

Just to clarify, one week and every week (not including NGADM I presume) there's a musical contest?
Sign me up!!!

I don't know how available I'll be because life (and working on video game and movie music) but this sounds pretty fantastic.
I'm a little confused about the voting system, maybe I read to fast, but it appears that those writing music are encouraged to vote too? Is voting accomplished by sending pm's to you or is it the voting system provided on the song's webpage?

Life has me occupied at this point but my interest has been peaked.

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 13:11:17

At 5/7/17 12:39 PM, Spadezer wrote: Well I've definitely been away for a bit and didn't realize this was going on.

Just to clarify, one week and every week (not including NGADM I presume) there's a musical contest?
Sign me up!!!

Yes, that's right! i'm not sure if it's going to be every week or every other week at this point, but if everyone is that hyped for an every-week contest, I'll totally do it.

I don't know how available I'll be because life (and working on video game and movie music) but this sounds pretty fantastic.
I'm a little confused about the voting system, maybe I read to fast, but it appears that those writing music are encouraged to vote too? Is voting accomplished by sending pm's to you or is it the voting system provided on the song's webpage?

Not only are they encouraged - participants are the ONLY judges, and if you don't vote, you won't get the feedback that everyone else gave on your song. It's either going to be done by PMs or, if I have time, I will write up a little webpage to collate the songs and scores.

Life has me occupied at this point but my interest has been peaked.

Awesome! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 13:42:27

Well, that sounds interesting. So is there still room for another participant, I would like to try this challenge. :)

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 13:47:34

At 5/7/17 01:42 PM, Madze wrote: Well, that sounds interesting. So is there still room for another participant, I would like to try this challenge. :)

Oh, there's always room! I bought the extra large bag of NGCHIPS, you see. :) Glad to have you in!

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 14:51:01

Chips as chiptune or chips as Lay's

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 15:01:36

At 5/7/17 02:51 PM, MactaMendax wrote: Chips as chiptune or chips as Lay's

Chips as in TORTILLA CHIPS!

The kind that go good with GUAC of course.

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 15:17:28 (edited 2017-05-07 15:18:23)

At 5/7/17 02:51 PM, MactaMendax wrote: Have you seen mah ngchips i wannt my ngchips

We got plenty

Did I misspell NGCHIPS goddamnit

Announcing NGCHIPS

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 15:59:45 (edited 2017-05-07 16:00:19)

At 5/7/17 03:17 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote:
At 5/7/17 02:51 PM, MactaMendax wrote: Have you seen mah ngchips i wannt my ngchips
We got plenty

Did I misspell NGCHIPS goddamnit

This is a masterpiece and also perfectly explains what the NGCHIPS are.

I can't wait to use this to explain to new guys.

hey wait a sec what is NCHIPS is that some competitor compo WTF

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 18:45:20

At 5/7/17 03:59 PM, johnfn wrote:
hey wait a sec what is NCHIPS is that some competitor compo WTF

NCHIPS are what you called them back when NGUAC was being renamed. NGCHIPS is probably better

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 21:54:30

Since i didn't have time for the NG audio competition(exams -_-), but have time now(yeah, seriously!), i think i'll have this a go :)

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-07 22:04:08

At 5/7/17 03:17 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote:
We got plenty

beautiful

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 03:27:34

So is this going down on Wednesday? Will the phrase be posted here or in a new thread? I can't wait! :)

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 03:34:38 (edited 2017-05-08 03:38:22)

At 5/7/17 06:45 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote: NCHIPS are what you called them back when NGUAC was being renamed. NGCHIPS is probably better

Ah yes now I remember. The Noninteresting Compo Here Is Producing Sound. Pretty boring compo IIRC. We'll do way better than them. ;-)

At 5/7/17 09:54 PM, UltraMX wrote: Since i didn't have time for the NG audio competition(exams -_-), but have time now(yeah, seriously!), i think i'll have this a go :)

Sweet, glad to have you man!

At 5/8/17 03:27 AM, McGorilla42 wrote: So is this going down on Wednesday? Will the phrase be posted here or in a new thread? I can't wait! :)

Yep, this Wednesday! (I'm probably going to adjust it to be weekend to weekend from NGCHIPS II onwards.)

The theme and everything will be posted in a new spam hype thread where we can talk about our pieces and stuff. (There will be no submission thread because everything will simply be PMed to me!) I'll tag everyone who was interested in this thread so they know about it!

In the mean time we can post more spam hype pictures in here of NGCHIPS :D

Announcing NGCHIPS

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 06:39:51 (edited 2017-05-08 06:40:55)

Brilliant idea.
Although I have one question about submiting the song (don't know if I missed something out).
What's the procedure? ('entries will anonymized')?

^_-

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 06:40:54

At 5/8/17 06:39 AM, endKashika wrote: Brilliant idea.
Although I have one question about submiting song (don't know if I missed something out).
What's the procedure with submiting ('entries will anonymized')?

You will just be PMing tracks to me.

If there's interest, I might whip up a little website to track scores and entries. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 06:42:30

That was a quick one, thanks!
I'm in.
^_-

^_-

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 13:24:26

This sounds like a combo of the NGMT with a hint of the even older NAC's yeah...sounds like fun to me.

Newgrounds' Clearly Hyperactive Infrastructure and Polyamorous Society

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 13:28:15

At 5/8/17 06:42 AM, endKashika wrote: That was a quick one, thanks!
I'm in.
^_-

Sweeet! :D

At 5/8/17 01:24 PM, ZipZipper wrote: This sounds like a combo of the NGMT with a hint of the even older NAC's yeah...sounds like fun to me.

Newgrounds' Clearly Hyperactive Infrastructure and Polyamorous Society

Or a NGADM where no one ever has to leave... and we can all be a happy family... FOREVER... @_@

also i can't believe someone actually managed to guess the acronym

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-08 19:11:45

dude when will this begin?

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 01:34:28

At 5/8/17 07:11 PM, MactaMendax wrote: dude when will this begin?

The tenth. Which is about 10 hours away by my Taiwan-based watch. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 01:45:37 (edited 2017-05-09 01:46:32)

When you say we are PMing them to you, does that mean we must upload the songs to an external site like SoundCloud, or attach them to a provided email address or am I dumb and you can actually attach files to messages on NG? Had a lookie but I'm on my phone now so maybe I missed something. Really excited for tomorrow!!! :D

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 02:06:57 (edited 2017-05-09 02:07:05)

At 5/9/17 01:45 AM, McGorilla42 wrote: When you say we are PMing them to you, does that mean we must upload the songs to an external site like SoundCloud, or attach them to a provided email address or am I dumb and you can actually attach files to messages on NG? Had a lookie but I'm on my phone now so maybe I missed something. Really excited for tomorrow!!! :D

Yeah, great question! I'll be posting the details of how submissions will work on the main thread tomorrow, but the short of it is that you'll upload the track somewhere in secret, and I will download it and then put every track on a website somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 02:50:09

Sounds like fun, sign me up.

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 03:38:18

At 5/9/17 02:50 AM, Demon-Wolf wrote: Sounds like fun, sign me up.

Welcome to the CHIPS party, Demon-Wolf! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 03:50:15

This sounds fun, and I think that this would really help me to break my hiatus that has been going on for too long... Sign me up ^^

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 06:54:23

At 5/9/17 03:50 AM, EverReverb wrote: This sounds fun, and I think that this would really help me to break my hiatus that has been going on for too long... Sign me up ^^

Excellent man! I dunno how I was gonna produce without reverb!

im sure you havent heard that joke before

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 14:06:59

I promised to start the compo 10 hours ago about 10 hours ago, but I realized that that wouldn't make sense time-zone-wise for anyone except for me. So I'll be starting it at midnight EST, which is a timezone more people understand :)

(10 hours from now)

I'm going to go to bed. See you soon...

BBS Signature

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 15:44:09

Since it's only 3:38 on the 9th EST, I'm guessing I still have time to get in on this.
As I'm completely new to uploading my music online, I was wondering what the best place to do this would be? Soundcloud, Bandcamp, etc? (if I'm understanding this correctly)
I've never uploaded anything to Newgrounds yet, so I figure what better way to get my feet wet than by diving right into a contest?

Also...

Announcing NGCHIPS

Response to Announcing NGCHIPS 2017-05-09 17:13:07

I'm definitely interested in doing a few of these week contests. I'd put my hat in the ring for this one but I'm moving this week so I doubt I could get anything competent out in time.

I'll be staying tuned for the next one for sure.