00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds store re-opening.

1,736 Views | 22 Replies

The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 01:10:09

I wish it would re-open, so Tom if you ever read this(which you won't) bring the store back, you have so many artist here that can sell there art, writers that can sell comics, animators that can sell their animations, etc.

This site can barely afford personnel and @BrentHeMan leaving recently is proof of that. Nothing you're asking for sounds bad, but confronting financial reality is tough. Suppose he were to bring the store back. Tom himself would most likely have to do what most companies hire full-time shippers and customer service people for.

Right now, this site can survive, but tough decisions may need to be made along the way. The office may be partially or fully rented out, sold completely and/or supporter fees could go up. Things will get worse before they get better, and I want them to get better. I've always chipped in whenever my financial situation allowed it.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 13:24:15

I remember when it closed down. Sad times indeed. We're going through a dark period in NG and general creative history, as things often do.

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 17:04:30

I miss it. Now I earn money, I wanna buy cool shit.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 19:46:11

At 4/30/17 05:04 PM, lumiorfo wrote: I miss it. Now I earn money, I wanna buy cool shit.

You could buy an annual supporter status and make yourself cool ;)

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 22:45:43

Kickstart a newgrounds store

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-04-30 23:21:16

When store was there, there wasn't really big selection of wares. I think the best as in most universal and good pricewise were stickers. Then I recall unlimited supply of Snow Snow for Lucy cds and dr fetus comic or some shit like that. Majority of wares was ng/behemoth franchise (which is pretty reasonable), but there wasn't much stuff from artists from those times. Jazza built a Larry "franchise" with two short episodes of the show and 3 minigames and started selling Larry-related shit but I don't think any of this was ever on NG store (might be wrong). Also HDD sold his tshirts via 3rd party company. I guess noone back then saw NG store attractive enough to parthner with it. I don't think reviving the store would change this, there aren't even as much artists as before.

At 4/30/17 09:04 PM, Sause wrote: This is like the 20th "NG iz ded" thread in a week

we're going to repost those until ng dies

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-01 02:32:59

At 4/30/17 07:46 PM, TailsPrower wrote:
At 4/30/17 05:04 PM, lumiorfo wrote: I miss it. Now I earn money, I wanna buy cool shit.
You could buy an annual supporter status and make yourself cool ;)

Tempting..

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 00:29:30

Nah just the NG shirts from what I've seen... No penicorns or tankmen...
Nostalgic crap is in short supply it seems...

I regret never getting one of those majestic penicorns, $10 to anyone that can get me one!

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 00:31:21

At 4/30/17 09:04 PM, Sause wrote: This is like the 20th "NG iz ded" thread in a week

This is not one of those threads.

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 07:02:30

At 4/30/17 01:10 AM, BIG-G wrote: I wish it would re-open, so Tom if you ever read this(which you won't) bring the store back, you have so many artist here that can sell there art, writers that can sell comics, animators that can sell their animations, etc.

If it does make a quick, or whatever type of comeback, I think there needs to be better advertisements for it then before, both in terms of quality, quantity and a big 'in-your-face' option to visit their Newgrounds store page on the main page, and other most visited pages on this site.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 18:49:39

@TomFulp, speaking of NG and store in the same sentence, I would be stoked if our artists on NG could sell prints like they do on DeviantArt, or maybe even stickers and buttons. Wouldn't mind if NG took half the proceeds, or however much it took for NG to profit off of the arrangement. Would take some infrastructure, but it would be a good way to generate revenue for the site. I'm sad I never got to buy any stickers before the NG store closed.

Also, if musicians could sell their appropriately licensed beats similar to bandcamp, would 100% dig. Pay what you want basis per download, etc.

music producer freebies // Januarylist // Februarylist // Take My Cymbals // Get ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 19:02:40

At 5/3/17 06:51 PM, Leidolfr wrote: no no that would take away from their angry faic tshirt sales, and those are already so very very low, they only care about the user so the user buys one of their shirts, they dont give a fuck what people make creatively whatsoever, unless its a game they can sell add banners on

Honestly, if I could, I'd buy angry faic shirts in every size, color, fabric, and style available. I'd buy them for friends, family, friendly neighborhood cults, starving children, homeless people -- angry faic for all. I want thousands of angry faic tattoos across every inch of my epidermis, so my angry faic will match my angry faic-es, each angrier than the last.

In reality though, a tank logo, Tom Fulp, and a penicorn will probably do. Or just some fucking T-shirts and nerdy buttons.

music producer freebies // Januarylist // Februarylist // Take My Cymbals // Get ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-03 20:38:34

The store was bad ass. Everything about newgrounds was badass at that point in time.

Also them deluxe Haynes Beefy tees.. I loved em. Don't ever find custom t-shirts printed on those.
And the keyrings were awesome, so finely machined.
Yeah, there wasn't a single bad product in the NG store.

It was nice while it lasted. I am gutted I didn't refresh my t-shirts one last time but..we should be focusing on keeping NewGrounds alive before we worry about selling the brand name. This place is amazing for creative people and anyone who doesn't use the internet like a programmed robot. I'm surprised there aren't investors and big bucks being thrown in if I'm honest.

If I was some rich celebrity, I'd just be pouring money into NG for nothin in return.

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-04 00:53:15

I just want some damn stickers.

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-04 08:52:57

We don't need a full on merch store but goddammit I want more stickers. I gave my last sheet to a friend and he dropped them in a puddle.

I put a TANKMEN sticker on my laptop and everybody thinks it's a band name.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-04 10:37:24

At 5/3/17 06:49 PM, EDM364 wrote: @TomFulp, speaking of NG and store in the same sentence, I would be stoked if our artists on NG could sell prints like they do on DeviantArt, or maybe even stickers and buttons. Wouldn't mind if NG took half the proceeds, or however much it took for NG to profit off of the arrangement. Would take some infrastructure, but it would be a good way to generate revenue for the site. I'm sad I never got to buy any stickers before the NG store closed.

Also, if musicians could sell their appropriately licensed beats similar to bandcamp, would 100% dig. Pay what you want basis per download, etc.

Based on the previous performance of the store I just don't know if it would ever cover the costs of having someone come in to print, pack and ship daily orders. It would be tempting if we were on better footing but I've become pretty jaded to the whole physical goods business.

I would like to let musicians sell their music, it's something that is tempting to at least try with US artists since international business has gotten increasingly complicated in recent years.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-04 18:40:47

At 5/4/17 10:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: Based on the previous performance of the store I just don't know if it would ever cover the costs of having someone come in to print, pack and ship daily orders. It would be tempting if we were on better footing but I've become pretty jaded to the whole physical goods business.

You're right. There are a lot of problems with physical merch. Prices would have to be fairly steep for us to make a profit. Even Deviant Art is pricey. 5 dollars or so for an 8.5x11 photo print most people could do for themselves if images weren't watermarked, 156 dollars for their biggest canvas, 30x40 inch canvas. Mugs range from 10-25 dollars by default. Tiny magnets are as expensive as photo prints. The only real way to avoid overspending on materials involves paying someone else to do the dirty work of crafting and shipping items, which also cuts into profits, but if you have bulk orders, I'm sure you could find discounts.

Another idea is to allow our users to sell their own merch through Newgrounds and a percentage of the proceeds go toward the site for hosting. You would still need a store function, but users would be responsible for the shipping costs, as well as the product, similar to the Ebay model. Right now we have users going offsite to sell their merch, which not only reduces engagement here but creates a sort of disconnect from our content.

I would like to let musicians sell their music, it's something that is tempting to at least try with US artists since international business has gotten increasingly complicated in recent years.

Yes. It would make our problems with record labels even more of a liability, however, every other site is also dealing with these same problems. We do have the benefit of a dedicated userbase and plenty of mods to keep the riffraff down. In the event we did make this a reality, we could also ensure only trustworthy, rule-abiding users were able to operate stores, audio bans removed store functionality, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-04 21:52:58

At 5/4/17 10:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I would like to let musicians sell their music, it's something that is tempting to at least try with US artists since international business has gotten increasingly complicated in recent years.

That's a pretty cool idea. NG selling any digital goods is a great idea.

You could fleece the rich kids for their dirty monies?!

Related but kind of unrelated... I don't know if it exists already...
NG Radio could be more of a thing. Music streaming is popular... an app with thousands of tracks to stream for free... it would look very attractive to anyone wanting that ??
Just a thought. Pipe dream maybe. I dunno, it could even be a good path for artists to step into selling their music. Certainly raise the awareness of it as a platform. Sure, it's probably a logistical nightmare to provide such a service.

just my sleepy thoughts

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-05 00:47:36

First, HOLY SHIT I got the creator's attention, second have you thought of kickstarter or make to order, maybe do a test run like make 100 penicorns and tankmen, and ask Dave for some Retarded Animal Babies dvds, see how fast they sell out, oh and stickers, apparently EVERYBODY wants stickers. Thank you.

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-05 00:52:49

At 4/30/17 11:33 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: This site can barely afford personnel and @BrentHeMan leaving recently is proof of that. Nothing you're asking for sounds bad, but confronting financial reality is tough. Suppose he were to bring the store back. Tom himself would most likely have to do what most companies hire full-time shippers and customer service people for.

Well judging by how Tom seems to be circlejerking the supporter status and how they've met their monthly goals from time to time. I'd say things look slightly better....right?

But I can't see the store coming back but who knows?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-05 00:58:44

At 5/4/17 06:40 PM, EDM364 wrote: Another idea is to allow our users to sell their own merch through Newgrounds and a percentage of the proceeds go toward the site for hosting. You would still need a store function, but users would be responsible for the shipping costs, as well as the product, similar to the Ebay model. Right now we have users going offsite to sell their merch, which not only reduces engagement here but creates a sort of disconnect from our content.

I considered this about halfway through this thread. If Newgrounds doesn't have the financial ability to sell things, the least we could do is outsource things that people can buy. I know that custom shirts from CafePress can be kind of tacky but it might be worth just having it somewhere on the site for people that really want a physical item. Not only that but there are plenty of places you can get custom CDs and DVDs too. The price would likely be way higher but it might satisfy the people that want the store back.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to The Newgrounds store re-opening. 2017-05-05 01:12:33

At 4/30/17 11:33 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: This site can barely afford personnel and @BrentHeMan leaving recently is proof of that.

When did that happen? Thread link?