00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico Day this Sunday & Other News!

9,827 Views | 36 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Pico Day is this Sunday! Pico Day is a celebration of all things NG, where everyone is encouraged to fan out on their favorites with animation, games, art and music.

There is a $2,000 prize pool for winners and we're hoping we can cover as much of that as possible with supporter revenue this month.

We've hit our monthly base goal (thank you!!!) and are $268 into our stretch goal of $2k for Pico Day. Please consider becoming a supporter and helping us reach the goal! Monthly and annual subscriptions are extremely helpful, as they build a consistent ongoing budget. Our monthly goal is meant to be an achieveable goal but it doesn't come close to covering all expenses. With more supporters NG can reduce third party ads and ultimately create more financial insentive for people to share their work here. It's difficult to transition from a failing ad model but I know we can do it with your help. Every single person counts with this.

Earlier this month we overhauled dumping grounds, eliminating the secondary page where you upload files and making it display better on mobile. Now you can drag files right into the main page and instantly generate pages for them, making everything a little quicker for everyone.

Next up is a big user page update that will be mobile friendly while introducing drag and drop user pic replacement, user page headers and a new image crop tool that works better for mobile users. Ongoing site development would not be possible without support from the community, so once again THANK YOU to everyone who supports NG! We're working to make every page mobile friendly, with additional improvements along the way.

If you made a game for Ludum Dare 38, we are featuring web entries here on NG. Upload and tag your game with "ludumdare38" to be included.

Also don't miss our Flinthook Art Contest, Art Inspired Music Contest and the upcoming Construct 3 Game Jam. If you've never made a game before, the Construct 3 Jam will be a fun way to try and you can do it entirely in your web browser.

Thanks for reading! There's a good chance I'll be live streaming with @PhantomArcade3000 and @IvanAlmighty this Sunday at the NG office. We aren't having the traditional office party this year but we can still have a Pico Day web party.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

tfw no pico day party :(

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing what neat stuff's gonna be made this year!

That being said, nothing's ever gonna top pico.fla (wherever that video went.)

In shameless plug territory, I have a game on Greenlight I'm tryna get through before Gaben makes Greenlight stop existing. It'd be super neat if anyone who reads this threw a friendly yes and maybe even a comment on there.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 10:49:36

At 4/26/17 10:45 AM, squidly wrote: tfw no pico day party :(

I'm realizing now that having a Pico Day party is like Anxiety + 10 for me but not having one is like Depression + 20.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 10:49:44

At 4/26/17 10:39 AM, TomFulp wrote: user page headers

Daaaaamn, user page headers...that takes me back. Very cool to see those coming back soon!

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 10:55:56

Tom, will we be able to make our user headers be active links?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 10:56:42

At 4/26/17 10:49 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I'm realizing now that having a Pico Day party is like Anxiety + 10 for me but not having one is like Depression + 20.

:( :( :(

We're still your best buds, Tom!

Maybe Pico Day should be moved out of the office so that there's less chance of destroying everything?

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:07:29

I'm ready for the headers!

Oh, and Pico Day, too.

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:09:16

I'll miss the annual Pico Day trip but I'm looking forward to the live stream!

@cecameron and I are going to have our own home made Pico Day party at home
with some of our friends and co-workers.
Gonna be decorating our living room to make it look more "Newgrounds" themed,
watch some new and classic Toons and drink some beer!
I even made some Newgrounds letters to mess around with for the authentic experience!

Pico Day this Sunday & Other News!

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:11:22

At 4/26/17 10:55 AM, MysticSkillz wrote: Tom, will we be able to make our user headers be active links?

No plans to make the header image a link.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:12:01

At 4/26/17 11:09 AM, SuperPhil64 wrote: I'll miss the annual Pico Day trip but I'm looking forward to the live stream!

@cecameron and I are going to have our own home made Pico Day party at home
with some of our friends and co-workers.
Gonna be decorating our living room to make it look more "Newgrounds" themed,
watch some new and classic Toons and drink some beer!
I even made some Newgrounds letters to mess around with for the authentic experience!

OMG the letters! That's awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:13:38

At 4/26/17 11:07 AM, Calbop wrote: Like squidly says, you should host picoday out of the office if anxiety is a problem. But then you've got the worries of basically running a Newgrounds convention haha

Organizing any event that people spend a bunch of money to travel to will always give me a ton of anxiety but NG definitely has small-scale "convention" potential as a showcase for indie games, animation, music and art.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:41:12

Can't wait for Pico Day! Sadly though I think I'll miss the livestream. Looking forward to all the submissions though!

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 11:57:28

At 4/26/17 11:54 AM, TheOverGhoul wrote: Wait... when you say "This sunday" do you mean that anyone wanting to participate will have to make something before Sunday and get disqualified from winning the prizes if they submit something after Sunday or do they have more time like a week or so after Sunday to upload their works and if they're a little bit late they get disqualified?

Sunday is the intended upload date, so it's best to upload on Sunday. There's a little wiggle room if something comes in on Monday but best to upload on Sunday.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 14:40:15

And too Clock day in August

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 15:30:30

At 4/26/17 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/26/17 11:54 AM, TheOverGhoul wrote: Wait... when you say "This sunday" do you mean that anyone wanting to participate will have to make something before Sunday and get disqualified from winning the prizes if they submit something after Sunday or do they have more time like a week or so after Sunday to upload their works and if they're a little bit late they get disqualified?
Sunday is the intended upload date, so it's best to upload on Sunday. There's a little wiggle room if something comes in on Monday but best to upload on Sunday.

Oh nice. I'll have no internet connection on Sunday, so I would've had to upload my thing on Saturday. I might still do that though, but its good to know that I'll be safe if i upload on monday

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 19:31:54

>tfw no Tank awards movies ever again
That clip of you being sprayed with oil is forever in my memory Tom

Also I promise to renew my sub when I have money again. Currently broke and barely paying the bills.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-26 19:51:27

Quick Tom, roll for Charisma!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 01:47:19

At 4/26/17 09:34 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: i can imagine it is a huge ordeal for you to put on the Pico Day party at the office. i am glad i was able to be there for the past two years :)

I'm glad I got to meet Yurgenburgen! And Tom I'm glad you'll get your own birthday to yourself for once- throwing your own party every year has to be exhausting.

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 02:28:22

Nah mang, you ARE the party. Hope the Sunday stream will be conducive to your hatching-day festivities!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 08:10:05

At 4/26/17 06:26 PM, thepixelizer wrote: Awesome can't wait until Pico Day! Maybe in a future update you could add some sort of year filter in the movie browser. It's pretty hard to find old stuff you've forgotten the name of, I would use the viewing history feature... but I saw it before that even existed so it's not there. ):

Instead of hard years I'd really like the ability to set a date range, so you can browse any specific period you want.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 14:44:03

:o yes sir

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 15:57:37

At 4/27/17 02:33 PM, Homicidee wrote: are the headers going to be a supporter perk only?

Headers will be for everyone but we might do animated headers later for supporters.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-27 16:16:09

I wish userpics could be animated. I think animated everything really

None

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-28 09:51:20

Pretty damn good to hear that Newgrounds manages to keep running. All this content must be really heavy on server side.
I just hope there will be another Pico Day next year, it sounds really amazing and I regret I didn't find Newgrounds earlier.

I come over from Germany to attend the next Pico Day, that's for granted!

Awesome news with the user header return! And looking forward to the Pico Day celebrations, submissions and streams.

Sad to see the office party era's over/on hiatus, but good to hear the stream tradition's kept alive. Always fun to tune in. Alternate streams from other party locations would be cool to have too btw, if this becomes more of a worldwide phenomenon; everyone celebrating where they live. Old webcams page style.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-28 20:55:37

Also StaticSkull is making Pico Day Art Collab but it's coming Sunday! :D

I can't wait!

This entire page is dedicated to my giant ego

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-29 18:44:16

At 4/26/17 10:39 AM, TomFulp wrote: Thanks for reading! There's a good chance I'll be live streaming with @PhantomArcade3000 and @IvanAlmighty this Sunday at the NG office. We aren't having the traditional office party this year but we can still have a Pico Day web party.

excitin stuff!! will this be on twitch?
any other guest stars possibly hittin the stream?

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-29 19:15:42

It's looking like I'm not going to get my game done in time, a shame.
I'll do my what I can to try and finish, here's what I have so far
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4d92fc0f08f4cdd192b83a2e285e63fc
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d42ded51169e31c515e1dbec34629b4c

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-29 21:38:14

ah, dont feel sad, mr fulp! :(

in my humble opinion, if you will lose the potential anxiety+stress that you would (definitely) get from preparing a large office party in the HQ's, then im sure that its better to NOT have a party, because:

you being slightly bummed out, but more calm, stress-free and with less duties on your plate=GOOD thing.

VS

you, having a NG party, but suffering from its schedule/duties, and having extra thoughts, stress and anxiety to manage? =BAD thing.

so yeah, im not happy with the lack of a NG party, but i AM HAPPY with you feeling better, since you will not have to bear that burden(of organising it) on your shoulders...

with that being said, im happy that the site is still in good shape+with many cool new updates, while im also excited for this year's pico day...
i might prepare something for this year, a short movie, perhaps? who knows.
have a nice day mr tom fulp, and keep fighting the good fight!!! :)

happy pico day!

Response to Pico Day this Sunday & Other News! 2017-04-30 04:21:33

Pico day wallpaper is on point