00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel

3,900 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-19 23:29:36

I’m currently working on a adult Visual Novel style game that will include animated sex scenes.

All of the art and animations are finished but I’m having a lot of trouble with the actual game making side of things, I’ve experimented with Unity and Construct2 but it’s really obvious that I’m out of my depth on a lot of this stuff.

If you have experience making games and want to collab, let me know <3

x Hayley

NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-20 11:41:42

At 4/19/17 11:29 PM, HayleyPetHarley wrote: I’m currently working on a adult Visual Novel style game that will include animated sex scenes.

All of the art and animations are finished but I’m having a lot of trouble with the actual game making side of things, I’ve experimented with Unity and Construct2 but it’s really obvious that I’m out of my depth on a lot of this stuff.

x Hayley

Hello,

I'm not interested in collaboration, but I started as an artist and then learned to program, so I'm familiar with the feeling, but I also know programming gets easier if you stick with it.

It might be better to start with something like Game Maker, Stencyl or RPGMaker. These are more hands-off programs, that can allow you to get used to the way computers think without needing to get "under the hood" as much.

A Flash or HTML5 tutorial designed for making websites could also be useful, that's actually how I started. They're usually meant for people who aren't planning to be full on programmers.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-22 13:00:02

Hihi x thank you for the advice, I'll look into those options :3 unity has been a major pain tbh and it'd be nice to work with a program that's a little more accessible

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-24 02:30:20

I'd suggest Visionaire. Give me a day or two to whip up an example for you.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-24 03:45:46

At 4/19/17 11:29 PM, HayleyPetHarley wrote: I’m currently working on a adult Visual Novel style game that will include animated sex scenes.

x Hayley

Hey Hayley, I work more extensively with unreal engine and actually have all the template work for a visual novel readily available. I would love to work with you on this project if you wish! my email is adamleon97@gmail.com

A few questions I have are:

How long do you think this project would take?
Do you have all the artwork done or just the majority?
Where are you wishing to publish this game?
Is Unity the only engine you wish to work with?

for past work I can send you emails of projects or screenshare and go over project stuff with you over skype if you wish. my skype is adamleon97

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-24 14:20:26

I'd say that the Unreal Engine is "a smite" overkill for a simple visual novel game. Just my opinion - and it would be best if the OP would be able to work with the engine as well.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-24 15:23:50

x Hayley

Have you looked into a VN engine? https://www.renpy.org/

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 09:22:29

I haven't heard of Visionaire but I'll look into it :O

I messed around a bit with Renpy though, but it doesn't have an option to export for browser, and I really wanna post the game up Dx

Unreal engine might be useful if we include a hyper violent chainsawing minigame!... But I'll have to figure out how to work that in the script

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 12:43:27

Honestly what you gotta do is get yourself something straightforward but powerful.

GameMaker, for example, fits that bill quite nicely. Unity might work out, you'll definitely get support doing that.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 12:53:24

At 4/25/17 09:22 AM, HayleyPetHarley wrote: I haven't heard of Visionaire but I'll look into it :O

I messed around a bit with Renpy though, but it doesn't have an option to export for browser, and I really wanna post the game up Dx

Unreal engine might be useful if we include a hyper violent chainsawing minigame!... But I'll have to figure out how to work that in the script

Visionaire is the pen-ultimate point-and-click adventure game engine, and can be easily used for visual novel type games as well, and exports to Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS - no web export, however. I am working on a small demo for you, but if you insist on web export, then I will stop working on it now, because Visionaire is not the engine you want.

Let me know, please.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 14:19:47

Thank you for working on a demo, but I really am looking for something with web support, it'd be nice to find a format that lets me post the game up here and other websites

I was using the Vinoma asset pack in Unity and it was working really well, but I can't find a way to make my animations play in the web version Dx

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 14:56:15

At 4/25/17 02:19 PM, HayleyPetHarley wrote: Thank you for working on a demo, but I really am looking for something with web support, it'd be nice to find a format that lets me post the game up here and other websites

I was using the Vinoma asset pack in Unity and it was working really well, but I can't find a way to make my animations play in the web version Dx

How are you exporting your animations? You might consider creating the animation with a tool such as Dragonbones, Spine, or Spriter, and import those into Unity. I noticed you deform shapes in Flash in your animations, which means either Dragonbones or Spine would work well. Dragonbones is free, Spine is not.

Another option is Clickteam Fusion - visual programming, but again it is a generic game engine, and you would have to create your own dialogue system in it. Construct 2 exports natively to web, and a number of users have created visual novel examples. Again, though, you would have to re-create your animations in a tools such as Spriter, and import those.

You would, however, have much more control over the animations in that case.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 15:05:38

I'm just exporting them as video files, they work in the windows build, but once I try and do it for WebGL none of the videos show up

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 15:51:34

At 4/25/17 03:05 PM, HayleyPetHarley wrote: I'm just exporting them as video files, they work in the windows build, but once I try and do it for WebGL none of the videos show up

I believe that the standard video textures are unsupported in the WebGL-based Unity player. There's a WebGL movie texture option somewhere, I believe, but that one has other issues (no Edge support), and it requires programming knowledge to implement.

Playing video in games on the web with good control has traditionally been a bit of a pain, and still is. I'd suggest changing your approach, and use Dragonbones/Spine type animations - with the additional advantage of more control (such as varying the animation speed, and switching out parts while playing). But in the end it's going to become more complex again, I suppose.

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 19:59:35

Great art style :D

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-25 20:56:30

I watched some Dragonbone and Spine vids, and the software looks really interesting and useful, but I already have all my animations for this game done in flash, so I don't know if those tools would add anything extra Dx

The main thing I need is to get videofiles to play in the webgl version of the game, Vinoma takes care of everything else like the dialogue system and characters etc, but it's all pretty pointless without the sex scenes working xD

And thank you so much darkrchaos :3

Response to NSFW Help with adult Visual Novel 2017-04-26 02:37:09

Have you tried this extension?
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38369

It does mean changing some things in your Unity code.