00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anti-Ethics Course

338 Views | 6 Replies

Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 02:51:07

I always thought it would be cool if there was a class that taught about unethical rhetoric by putting it into practice. The actual application of such a class would be to teach people how to recognize forms of manipulation by familiarizing them with the concepts. What I'd like to discuss in this thread is what you guys think of the idea and what assignments you might include if you taught it. Right now this is what I have:

- Not sure what political/psychological readings I would have, but The Prince would likely be among them.
- A group project in which each student must at some point present a formal complaint about the other as to why the team dynamic is unfair. The better complaint is awarded extra credit.
- Designing a propaganda poster
- Writing a persuasive essay supported by logical fallacies. The fallacies must be hidden as well as possible and may include obfuscation.

Thoughts/ideas?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 04:09:09

Standard nethics courses are already pretty wild. I had Jerry Springer come into mine when I was in college to lecture us and that guy wrote a check to a hooker and still helms one of the trashiest television programs on the airwaves.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 09:38:07

At 4/12/17 09:31 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: Stand up comedy is probably the only artform that hasn't been censored into a puddle of PC piss...
I'd start there...

well, there have been efforts. remember when jerry seinfeld, of all people, caught a bunch of heat? many comedians refuse to perform at college campuses now because of how uptight, pc, and anti freedom of speech the students are.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 10:13:55

At 4/12/17 09:44 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 4/12/17 09:38 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: well, there have been efforts. remember when jerry seinfeld, of all people, caught a bunch of heat? many comedians refuse to perform at college campuses now because of how uptight, pc, and anti freedom of speech the students are.
Yeah I was talking about edgy comedians... Not bland lord seinfeld...

yeah. i was just sayin, over here at least, pc culture has been attacking comedians for a while. even the very very vanilla ones like seinfeld have been targeted.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 10:29:27

At 4/12/17 10:16 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 4/12/17 10:13 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: yeah. i was just sayin, over here at least, pc culture has been attacking comedians for a while. even the very very vanilla ones like seinfeld have been targeted.
He wasn't targeted he just saw an excuse to get some free publicity...
Nobody gives a fuck about seinfeld...

um, he did have people going after him for a lack of diversity on his coffee program and as a response to outrage.

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 10:49:07

At 4/12/17 10:31 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 4/12/17 10:29 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: um, he did have people going after him for a lack of diversity on his coffee program and as a response to outrage.
What five trolls? Like anyone gives a shit...

national media outlets covered it, somebody cared.

Response to Anti-Ethics Course 2017-04-12 13:10:55

At 4/12/17 09:31 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: Stand up comedy is probably the only artform that hasn't been censored into a puddle of PC piss...
I'd start there...

I don't understand how this is relevant.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)