00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Definition of a classic

323 Views | 8 Replies

The Definition of a classic 2017-04-11 20:53:49

Like for fucks sake not everything from way back when can hold up. Like the whole point of a Classic is that it is still relevant with the modern age. Be it books, movies, music video games whatever. Just because its old as shit doesn't mean it passes off for a classic. I used to watch a lot of so called classic movies on TCM and most of them are just boring as fuck.

That being said if it doesn't hold up well with a modern audience than it ain't a classic anymore. Or rather it's just a matter of opinion really but that is the definition of a classic after all

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-11 21:30:53

Classic wegra

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 00:52:10

I yearn for the day I can call my dick a classic

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 01:57:07

At 4/11/17 08:53 PM, Wegra wrote: Like for fucks sake not everything from way back when can hold up. Like the whole point of a Classic is that it is still relevant with the modern age. Be it books, movies, music video games whatever. Just because its old as shit doesn't mean it passes off for a classic.

Classic also means traditional. I would assume you prefer the excellent/timeless interpretation.

I used to watch a lot of so called classic movies on TCM and most of them are just boring as fuck.

Watching a channel named 'classic' doesn't make its contents excellent.

That being said if it doesn't hold up well with a modern audience than it ain't a classic anymore.

Then you might dispose 99% of human history.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 02:05:13

A work that passes the test of time. So any movies/song/video games/media/art that have been released in our lifetime- we can never call them classics. The art has to be able to separate itself from a culture, fame, and all the nostalgia and unrelated elements which superficially inflates its value. Only then, can a work of art be deemed a true classic.

At 4/12/17 01:57 AM, satanbrain wrote: Watching a channel named 'classic' doesn't make its contents excellent.

actually it does the same way writing in italics makes something a fact

BBS Signature

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 03:41:39

At 4/11/17 09:33 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: I'm named after a character from a classic film, so I appreciate them.

I'm named after Luke Skywalker and I don't like Star Wars..

BBS Signature

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 04:42:34

At 4/12/17 02:05 AM, S3C wrote: A work that passes the test of time.

Yes

So any movies/song/video games/media/art that have been released in our lifetime- we can never call them classics.

I disagree entirely.

There are a vast amount of classic video games, songs, movies, and so forth which have already been made in my lifetime.

I can guarantee any of these isn't magically going to lose its classic status in 10, 20, 50, 100 years as they are all extremely important from cultural, artistic, and historical standards.

In fact the vast amount of classic video games were made in the 80s and 90s with the majority of what came after being largely forgettable titles.

Or are you seriously going to argue that Super Mario Bros or Tetris aren't classics?
Are you seriously going to argue that Back to the Future or Jurassic Park aren't classics?

All of those will always have classic significance as long as video games/movies have significance. It doesn't have to be outside of my lifetime for me to know this. I'm confident in it as-is.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 04:52:11

The only difference between classic and not classic thing is that the classic thing has what it takes to call it classic

Response to The Definition of a classic 2017-04-12 19:51:58

At 4/12/17 04:48 AM, JosephStarr wrote: All has to do with quality to me, Is it worth remembering? For example, both of the below cars are from 1981. Despite personal brand opinions, one is obviously more deserving of being called classic.

I'm kinda biased on this but I really don't consider either to be classics. To me it's like calling a Yugo or a 1st or 2nd gen VW Rabbit a "classic".

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature