00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Desire to start doing art

511 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Desire to start doing art 2017-03-31 17:49:54

I have interest in starting to learn how to do digital art, don't really know where to start. I was thinking of going with photoshop but is that a good idea? I don't know if there are any better alternatives. I'm just starting, practically from the bottom so I don't know much and wouldn't want to invest more than I need to for just the very beginning.

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-03-31 19:08:57

At 3/31/17 05:49 PM, RatedRex wrote: I have interest in starting to learn how to do digital art, don't really know where to start. I was thinking of going with photoshop but is that a good idea? I don't know if there are any better alternatives. I'm just starting, practically from the bottom so I don't know much and wouldn't want to invest more than I need to for just the very beginning.

It doesn't really matter what program you start with. Here is a great resource on starting off http://drawabox.com

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-03-31 19:54:35

It doesn't really matter what program you start with. Here is a great resource on starting off http://drawabox.com

That link is helpful. Thank you for sharing

Firealpaca/cloud alpaca is free, same with Gimp (though I don't recommend Gimp for many reasons).

If you're willing to spend just a little bit more, I'd recommend SAI. It has a stabilizer for if you decide to invest in a tablet someday (if you end up pursuing art), and has an air-y feel to it which helps learning how to paint. It would also be a good idea to just start a photoshop trial just to experiment with different programs to find out what you do or don't like.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-03-31 21:44:44

Firealpaca/cloud alpaca is free, same with Gimp (though I don't recommend Gimp for many reasons).

If you're willing to spend just a little bit more, I'd recommend SAI. It has a stabilizer for if you decide to invest in a tablet someday (if you end up pursuing art), and has an air-y feel to it which helps learning how to paint. It would also be a good idea to just start a photoshop trial just to experiment with different programs to find out what you do or don't like.

Thank you, that's also really helpful. Do you have any advice on what are good things to start learning first?

At 3/31/17 09:44 PM, RatedRex wrote:
Thank you, that's also really helpful. Do you have any advice on what are good things to start learning first?

I think for right now you should just kind of experiment and see how things work first. After you get used to everything (like the art program you're using and just art in general), I would highly recommend practising still-art first. It can be super boring at times, but it's extremely helpful later on.
But it really depends on what you want to do with art; if you want to make illustrations of characters, anatomy would be a priority. If you're looking to do fine art, starting with the elements of art would be your best bet.

Most importantly, my advice is to draw or doodle as much as you can. Because when you first start art, you're going to improve extremely fast and eventually slow down a bit the more you discover more about what you're doing. So if you get into the habit of drawing a lot, it will help you improve faster as you start to learn more because you'll be able to consistently practice. Most artists tend to dwindle after a while, leading to improving a lot slower.
So no matter what, just keep going at it because art can be super frustrating at times.

Best of luck! ;v;

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-03 09:46:37

@RatedRex
Hey dude!
You should try reading this!
https://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Remember, learning the Arts is learning a language, start with a few words, have patience, repeat and learn like a kid: having fun!

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-03 13:34:26

@RatedRex
Hey dude!

Saved the link! Thanks a bunch

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-03 18:59:37

Np :)

At 4/3/17 01:34 PM, RatedRex wrote:
@RatedRex
Hey dude!
Saved the link! Thanks a bunch

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-04 01:52:28

Do whatever! Just be sure to post it here. :)

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-04 11:15:59

I recommend Krita it's free and high quality

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-04 18:03:37

Well, first off, a good drawing tablet would be Wacom Intuos

Good art programs:
Flash
Medibang Paint Pro
Krita
PsintTool SAI
IsoPix

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-05 15:44:14

https://www.aseprite.org/
this is a good program for pixel art and really helps with the animation of sprites.
but just a heads up its very focused around pixel art, so id only recommend it for that. but it does pixel art very well.

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-05 20:06:41

At 3/31/17 05:49 PM, RatedRex wrote: I have interest in starting to learn how to do digital art, don't really know where to start. I was thinking of going with photoshop but is that a good idea? I don't know if there are any better alternatives. I'm just starting, practically from the bottom so I don't know much and wouldn't want to invest more than I need to for just the very beginning.

So open up MS Paint and start improvising. Do it a lot and try a few different styles. Nothing too fancy.

Identify the things you wish MS Paint could do. The things you wish you understood better (like color theory) and after awhile, use a better tool that can do the things you needed. And study up on the things you wish you understood better.

This is kind of self explanatory. But the basic idea is that practice is what you need.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Desire to start doing art 2017-04-06 01:49:48

try doing realizim and then stylize unless you just want to live in deviant are hell for ever