squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 16:41:15 Reply

At 3/31/17 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: "Wow, after all I've accomplished, I think I'll spend the rest of my life begging people for money."

I stopped reading there, nice post Tom good to see you figured out your goal in life.

jk

People have made some great videos about NG but this one really strikes me for how succinct it is and how much it feels like it came direct from my heart. It's the short version of NG I want everyone to know and understand.

I wish we could, like, EXPLAIN this to people. I wish we could tap every animator and game developer, or at least a bunch of them, to one day, just with one big ass thunderclap, have a "Newgrounds Appreciation Day" where they talk about how Newgrounds helped them.

Of course, when videos like this get me feeling all passionate and inspired, my frustrations with the state of NG and the larger internet also emerge.

Things are gonna get better. We just need to organize a bit more imo. We can't just keep throwing things at the wall and waiting for some controversy or another to boost us up like we've been doing for 20 years. We gotta actually gotta get them to come here outside of the controversy - to come here because they know we're good, not because we're less bad.

Good.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Gamer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 16:45:15 Reply

That Tom is a real crowd pleaser.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dragamex
Dragamex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 16:47:15 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:41 PM, squidly wrote: I wish we could, like, EXPLAIN this to people. I wish we could tap every animator and game developer, or at least a bunch of them, to one day, just with one big ass thunderclap, have a "Newgrounds Appreciation Day" where they talk about how Newgrounds helped them.

THIS. We have Pico day, awesome, but Pico's relevance has lessened since the scrapping of Pico 2 (remember when we used to talk about that shit ALL. THE. TIME?)

Can we have a Newgrounds day? Hard to explain to my friends at this point what Pico is...

But I always talk up Newgrounds when I get the chance.

Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 16:51:25 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:09 PM, Sirschmoopy wrote: I owe my entire career to Newgrounds Tom and for the first time in my life, I have the income to start putting it back into Newgrounds to support the next generation of animators and storytellers. You rock man, thanks for everything you do in supporting creators.

Holy shit Rob it feels like I haven't seen you around this site in forever.

Also yeah this video was beautiful. I saw a reddit comment on it that said something like "Newgrounds is like the adult swim of the internet" and I think that's just the perfect description.

Thank you Tom and co. for everything you've done.

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 16:55:52 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:47 PM, Dragamex wrote:
At 3/31/17 04:41 PM, squidly wrote: I wish we could, like, EXPLAIN this to people. I wish we could tap every animator and game developer, or at least a bunch of them, to one day, just with one big ass thunderclap, have a "Newgrounds Appreciation Day" where they talk about how Newgrounds helped them.
THIS. We have Pico day, awesome, but Pico's relevance has lessened since the scrapping of Pico 2 (remember when we used to talk about that shit ALL. THE. TIME?)

Can we have a Newgrounds day? Hard to explain to my friends at this point what Pico is...

I wasn't thinking of replacing Pico Day, I was thinking of a seperate one-off where a bunch of animators all tweet/post/talk or something about what Newgrounds means to them.

Good.

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 17:02:38 Reply

Awesome video! Also, I didn't knew that the Flash Brothers were the master minds behind Snipperclips!

Dragamex
Dragamex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 17:09:45 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:55 PM, squidly wrote:
At 3/31/17 04:47 PM, Dragamex wrote:

I wasn't thinking of replacing Pico Day, I was thinking of a seperate one-off where a bunch of animators all tweet/post/talk or something about what Newgrounds means to them.

Didn't mean that either, sorry. Definitely meant in addition to existing days. Just saying that Pico day currently stands as the de facto Newgrounds Day, but the origin of Pico and the full story behind its birth, life, and death, and why that's important to the Newgrounds culture, isn't as readily accessible as the basic premise behind celebrating the joy of Newgrounds.

i.e. Pico day stands as more of a community day, where Newgrounds day would be accessible to new and old comers alike.

life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 17:10:16 Reply

At 3/31/17 03:59 PM, sumidiotdude wrote:
At 3/31/17 03:41 PM, life wrote: The video is perfect Tom, an accurate an honest depiction of NG and it captured the vibe really well. Made me tear up, the memories. I love it and love you all. This site isn't done, the subscription model is smart and the way of the future. You've got this Tom. You're a genius.
yo dude you dont know me but you tagged me in like the first flash i was ever "a part of" which was some clock day flash animation that was similar to the mad men intro and had paper planes playing in the background and for someone who didnt have flash at the time it was so awesome to see my name attached to a project as lame as that sounds and i shamelessly voted 5 on that motherfucker every single day - so thanks man

• Clocks Joyful Journey 2
    Clocks Joyful Journey 2 by life

Will the clocks make it home?

Score
    4.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature
spazz0id
spazz0id
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate

Newgrounds have achieved to stay relevant of itself from sites back then who no longer are and newer sites that dominate most of the internet today. I've said this before even though my account in still new I've came around when Youtube was small and the early internet memes was around along with Ebaumsworld. Most times here was spent playing some flash games and watch Phoenix Wrong videos. I'm so glad I bought the yearly support.

Newgrounds still have a reason for its existence on the internet.

BBS Signature
StuffedWombat
StuffedWombat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 17:46:29 Reply

holy shit I did not know you lost so much money.

Thanks for funding our enjoyment out of your own pocket.

It really means a lot to me.

Szarka
Szarka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:00:02 Reply

I saw the video and it reminded me of all the great times I had on this site as I grew up. I'm actually surprised I was able to remember my login info. I would absolutely love to see this site flourish again like it did when I was younger.

Here's hoping some more people remember where it all started and hop in and support such a great site.

Hendertaker
Hendertaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:04:21 Reply

Youtube is going to shit, it's time to shine Tom.

Hemlok
Hemlok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:09:40 Reply

Much respect Tom. Newgrounds will always hold a place for me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature
Inglor
Inglor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:11:45 Reply

I have to say I'm surprised at how accurate the video feels.

I've been in many communities since - but that artistic brotherhood (/sisterhood) and the sheer will to just... create is something I haven't encountered since. It was awesome.

axl2396
axl2396
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:37:10 Reply

I still remember waking up each morning when i was younger, and jumping at the chance to get back onto here, back then I didn't do anything of value, back then i wasnt even an artist, but its still where my roots are, where I sort of grew from and took inspiration from first to set me on the path im on today with wanting to make something of value for people to enjoy, Newgrounds was the absolute start to my online life and I hope it stays around for good.

Evy-kun
Evy-kun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:40:43 Reply

Today's a great day to be back on Newgrounds. I hope NG gets more support Tom, because it deserves it.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:40:55 Reply

I wouldn't be where I am today without this site. Thanks for putting in so much love and effort, Tom. I should hang out more.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:53:09 Reply

At 3/31/17 02:50 PM, FOST3R wrote: @TomFulp I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would I correctly go about changing my monthly supporter subscription amount? I just don't want to double - purchase a subscription by accident (not sure if that's possible, even).

Checking with Jim on this but best bet might be to just cancel the subscription and then create a new one.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 18:56:43 Reply

At 3/31/17 03:41 PM, life wrote: You've got this Tom. You're a genius.

That should be my mantra when I look in the mirror every morning.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:00:06 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:47 PM, Dragamex wrote: Can we have a Newgrounds day? Hard to explain to my friends at this point what Pico is...

I've tossed around the idea over the years of changing it to Newgrounds Day... A lot of people still have a soft spot for Pico Day but it does get more confusing each year. One of these years....

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:00:50 Reply

At 3/31/17 04:51 PM, Jurgen wrote: Also yeah this video was beautiful. I saw a reddit comment on it that said something like "Newgrounds is like the adult swim of the internet" and I think that's just the perfect description.

Ya know, when Adult Swim launched, people said it was "like Newgrounds on TV."

BBS Signature
Rarykos
Rarykos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Art Lover
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:02:42 Reply

Okay, this month I finally have 25 disposable dollars to my name, bought the supporter!

On a sidenote, lots of people coming here to play idle games, zombidle being the prime suspect. The best way for newgrounds to make additional bucks would be to develop an idle first-hand game, with profits from MTC going to newgrounds, like Kongregate has with Adventure Capitalist.
I feel like the site needs a few more engines like that to keep people coming on a daily basis. Considering that most of our games are 15-minutes time wasters we make in a week, they have limited appeal.

For me Newgrounds was always a huge inspiration, this year it's exactly 10 years since I first came here. Thank you!

Manderby
Manderby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:02:43 Reply

Much deserved. The path of the future, today!

You find Let's Plays in German of some Flash games here on Newgrounds on my YouTube channel

BBS Signature
AtomicAstro
AtomicAstro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:07:03 Reply

You know when I saw just the title of the video it reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0itfepYE2-w

The video itself is way more positive though, it just kinda makes me feel pretty optimistic actually. It kinda made me happy to see the video talking about NG's impact and in the comments a bunch of people talking about how the site helped them, just goes to show that even if the site is in a less than desirable state now, and even when it wasn't it was never perfect, its impact hasn't been forgotten. Although many people just see the site as that old website with squandered potential, the potential does still at least exist in my opinion. I notice a lot of people saying "Man I miss NG" or "Man I wish this site wasn't dead" or "Man I wish there was a dedicated animation site" on various different places, social media in particular, so at least the audience is there from what I see.

RobLpresents
RobLpresents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Blank Slate

At 3/31/17 07:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've tossed around the idea over the years of changing it to Newgrounds Day... A lot of people still have a soft spot for Pico Day but it does get more confusing each year. One of these years....

Does the site not have an official Birthday? First day online? Could change Pico Day to Newgrounds Day/Birthday and have the logo as Pico with a birthday cake or something.

The Monthly target has been smashed since this morning and this thread has over 11k views. Awesome!

Dragamex
Dragamex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 19:08:41 Reply

At 3/31/17 07:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/31/17 04:47 PM, Dragamex wrote: Can we have a Newgrounds day? Hard to explain to my friends at this point what Pico is...

I've tossed around the idea over the years of changing it to Newgrounds Day... A lot of people still have a soft spot for Pico Day but it does get more confusing each year. One of these years....

Don't change it! Keep it! Make a SEPARATE day! One is celebrating CULTURE, the other celebrates COMMUNITY

FleckoGold
FleckoGold
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 20:23:19 Reply

Good video

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 20:29:58 Reply

I'll always love you Tom

II II lI

BBS Signature
OnscreeN
OnscreeN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 20:31:41 Reply

Seen this video on reddit and caused me to try and login to my old account that I remember from when I was a kid and here I am.

16 years later.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 20:34:28 Reply

At 3/31/17 08:31 PM, OnscreeN wrote: Seen this video on reddit and caused me to try and login to my old account that I remember from when I was a kid and here I am.

16 years later.

Welcome back!

BBS Signature