00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Free audio content resource

1,276 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Free audio content resource 2017-03-28 22:28:19

http://freecommercialmusic.com

Little side project of mine. Basically I'm taking all of my extra music that I really don't think is worth trying to monetize and I'm permitting any commercial usage for any audience size with no attribution requirement. This might be useful to some.

My thought process here was that honestly, attribution is kind of a pain in the ass and makes it tough to do client projects. And I already owned the domain so ... why the hell not I guess.

Have fun. Comments/suggestions would be great.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-29 09:27:56

At 3/28/17 10:28 PM, SuperGoodSound wrote: http://freecommercialmusic.com

Little side project of mine. Basically I'm taking all of my extra music that I really don't think is worth trying to monetize and I'm permitting any commercial usage for any audience size with no attribution requirement. This might be useful to some.

My thought process here was that honestly, attribution is kind of a pain in the ass and makes it tough to do client projects. And I already owned the domain so ... why the hell not I guess.

Have fun. Comments/suggestions would be great.

Great idea. Have you thought about expanding this? Giving it a backend, musician and user area? People can then upload and the website could be a great resource for many platforms.

BBS Signature

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-29 15:24:03

At 3/29/17 09:27 AM, EvilRaccoon wrote: Great idea. Have you thought about expanding this? Giving it a backend, musician and user area? People can then upload and the website could be a great resource for many platforms.

Thanks. I have thought a bit about that but the real issue right off the bat is being able to reliably audit the legitimacy of the content for user submitted stuff. I think for the moment I'm going to keep it as just me supplying content and though I could see potentially adding people I've vetted in the long-run. I do like the idea but I'd just have to be really careful about execution so I don't end up in hot water and destroy the reliability of the brand.

Right now there's no core SQL database but I plan to implement that as a next step to make updating content quicker.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-29 22:38:40

lol no CC licenses, so copyleft? didn't see you say that.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-30 06:33:59

At 3/29/17 10:38 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: lol no CC licenses, so copyleft? didn't see you say that.

I don't want to do Creative Commons because I don't want to be stuck with either requiring attribution or just putting them directly into public domain.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-30 09:51:47

At 3/30/17 06:33 AM, SuperGoodSound wrote:
At 3/29/17 10:38 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: lol no CC licenses, so copyleft? didn't see you say that.
I don't want to do Creative Commons because I don't want to be stuck with either requiring attribution or just putting them directly into public domain.

so, what licenses do you use to allow people freely distribute and use your music?

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-30 11:18:13

At 3/30/17 09:51 AM, SnowTeddy wrote:
At 3/30/17 06:33 AM, SuperGoodSound wrote:
so, what licenses do you use to allow people freely distribute and use your music?

It's a custom license. You can download the license file from the site under any of the file download buttons.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-30 20:07:48

At 3/30/17 11:18 AM, SuperGoodSound wrote: It's a custom license. You can download the license file from the site under any of the file download buttons.

same license for all tracks?

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-30 22:56:36

At 3/30/17 08:07 PM, SnowTeddy wrote:
At 3/30/17 11:18 AM, SuperGoodSound wrote: It's a custom license. You can download the license file from the site under any of the file download buttons.
same license for all tracks?

License terms are the same yeah.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-31 01:49:41

I like your idea, i'd like to contribute some of my own lesser pieces....that's a nice sentiment in a world of legalese...but im big on attribution and feedback...you wouldn't get my best work. I have a shitton though, and could probably double your available library without blinking...100% original stuff too. Let me know if you want it...

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-31 09:50:08

If I want to contribute tracks does that work

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-31 14:17:11

The thing right now is that I don't really have a good way to verify sample source and content source legitimacy of tracks from any one else. I think in the long run if this gets enough attention it may be viable to investigate that aspect further.

The other issue is without me knowing someone relatively well, it's hard to determine if a person submitting tracks under this kind of license might at some point decide that they want to retract all their material. So there are a couple hurdles with accepting music from other sources for the site that I want to be careful of until I've given it more thought.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-03-31 14:36:08

I always feel a bit iffy about music being copyleft-ish, but foley? Now that is a plus. Thanks for sharing.

At 3/31/17 02:36 PM, Troisnyx wrote: I always feel a bit iffy about music being copyleft-ish, but foley? Now that is a plus. Thanks for sharing.

The thing is that it's not copyleft, if you make a derivative of the music or content on the site you are welcome (and honestly encouranged) to sell it. See the FAQ:
http://freecommercialmusic.com/faq.html

The literal only restriction is you can't resell the raw/unmodified source files from the site, which is more to make sure I don't lose the ability to control how it is distributed and also so that as many people as would like can monetize it forever.

This is what I mean about this being a pretty new licensing paradigm. To me, licensing in this sense has become a big giant fucking mess. My whole approach here is I would like this website to be where people go when they need free content that doesn't come with a million caveats about how it can be used.

You download it, put it on a drive, use it for any project for the rest of your life, and make as much money as you want as a direct result of that usage. Easy. No legal snares, no catch.

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-04-04 13:25:28

Great project! The site looks really nice, as well. Did you build it yourself? Also curious, are you gonna try to find a way to monetize it in any way in the long run?

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to Free audio content resource 2017-04-04 14:13:02

I wish you well with it.