00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Young Sheldon Cooper show

844 Views | 15 Replies

Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-26 16:14:42

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-big-bang-theory-spinoff-ordered-young-sheldon-1202007801/

Now I don't want to judge the base show for quality or lack thereof. It's generally either stupid fun or harmful to academic culture. What can't be argued is that the character of Sheldon Cooper purposefully goes beyond the nerdy stereotypes to the point where he's clearly on the spectrum. Now as an adult character this skirts a line between things like exploitation vs. erasure and other things white people like to talk about while real problems keep happening.

All that being said, and at the risk of sounding overly sensitive, can we agree it's kind of wrong to have a show based around laughing at an autistic child?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-26 17:32:56

They're going to make a spinoff of a show that's literally just half an hour of laugh tracks? What will be the difference? Prepubescent laugh tracks?

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-26 17:36:21

At 3/26/17 04:14 PM, stafffighter wrote:
All that being said, and at the risk of sounding overly sensitive, can we agree it's kind of wrong to have a show based around laughing at an autistic child?

You've got a point.

Young Sheldon Cooper show

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-26 18:44:15

Eww, Big Bang Theory.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-26 22:29:13

I never really related to Sheldon's back story. It always seemed a jape on bible belt poor folk. Same with Penny.

I feel like if they really want to milk the cash cow for what it's worth they should spinoff other side characters into their own shows. If they hadn't brought Stuart into the more main cast they easily could have done a spin off show about his comic shop. Or a show about Leonard's mom or something.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-27 03:13:23

Oh god, no. Isn't it enough that there will be 2 more seasons after the current one? I mean, where else can they go with the characters? Sheldon moved in with Amy, Leonard and Penny are married. Howard and Bernadette are parents... anything else that can happen with the rest of the cast will just be a repitition of things that have already happened with other characters.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in younger versions of Leonard, Penny, etc somehow even though it has been established numerous times that they are from different states and met in Pasadena for the first time.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-27 11:09:53

At 3/26/17 04:14 PM, stafffighter wrote:

You see it wrong, he laughs about their neurotypicality.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-27 18:38:00

At 3/27/17 06:26 PM, Sekhem wrote:

isn't the humor simply that he constantly makes nerdy references a la family guy/think geek/felicia day or whatever modern "geek" culture cancer is out there

The overall show about that bit the gist of the character is how he's insensitive and misses social cues, how he relies on control and ritual, basically a TV oversimplification of Asperger's.

Portraying that in an adult is sticky and something that could, and arguable has, be done wrong. But putting those same traits in a child character and then asking us to laugh at his expense seems off to me.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-27 22:18:07

At 3/27/17 06:38 PM, stafffighter wrote: Portraying that in an adult is sticky and something that could, and arguable has, be done wrong. But putting those same traits in a child character and then asking us to laugh at his expense seems off to me.

Sigh.

I was hoping I would be able to read through that article, never once seeing the word "comedy." I was hoping maybe the show was going to be more of a drama. But then I read "Parsons will also narrate the comedy as Adult Sheldon."

I hope that at the least some serious issued are talking about and confronted for the sake of the children/teenagers who do watch this show, and even for the sake of the adults who do. At least maybe a little accurate education about the illness, that's the least they could do.

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-03-27 22:42:25

Can we take a step back and forget about whether it is "right" to have such a show, and just recognize that it will majorly suck ass and be unfunny?

At 3/26/17 04:14 PM, stafffighter wrote: All that being said, and at the risk of sounding overly sensitive, can we agree it's kind of wrong to have a show based around laughing at an autistic child?

I can agree that basically all modern television consists mostly of some form of garbage designed to appeal to unintelligent, morally bankrupt lobodomites.

This is why I haven't owned a television in nearly 10 years and never plan on purchasing one again

Note: I have never watched (or even heard of) the Young Sheldon Cooper show and probably never will as I have absolutely zero interest in modern television shows

With the exception of the first season of Mr. Robot, purely for its realistic depiction of computer hacking and social engineering. All the edgy bullshit they threw in to appeal to computer illiterates made me stop enjoying the series

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-07-08 13:17:28

Eh it's a fictional show with a fictional character. I don't see it as something bad.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

At 7/8/17 02:17 PM, sjwgenocide wrote: i would argue that television is better now than it ever has been before. perhaps not in the form of waiting for it to come on Real TV, but shows like mad men, breaking bad, the first couple of seasons of house of cards and black mirror are all great television shows that only started airing in the last ten years.

that's the sort of blessing in disguise of having so much shit all the time now, that there is more breathing room for good shows to exist as well. maybe you are too jaded to appreciate good television anymore, but it's out there.

I'd agree, and that the nostalgia filter only lets classic television stick in your memories. Shitty programmes certainly existed in the past but we got over it. "Will and Grace" springs to my mind - at the time that was supposedly comedy gold like Big Bang Theory, but that show certainly didn't pass the test of time. Big Bang Theory will probably go the same way, especially as it's full of references that don't age well.

BBS Signature

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-07-09 14:47:16

they should have done a show about Raj

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-07-11 14:52:47

At 7/8/17 02:17 PM, sjwgenocide wrote: i would argue that television is better now than it ever has been before. perhaps not in the form of waiting for it to come on Real TV, but shows like mad men, breaking bad, the first couple of seasons of house of cards and black mirror are all great television shows that only started airing in the last ten years.

that's the sort of blessing in disguise of having so much shit all the time now, that there is more breathing room for good shows to exist as well. maybe you are too jaded to appreciate good television anymore, but it's out there.

I just don't find any of these television series about doctors, police, drug dealers, etc to be particularly interesting. All of these themes have already been exhaustively explored in countless television shows throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, and just feels like recycled nonsense to me.

The stuff on TV that I've actually found interesting is mostly just documentaries about important subjects like animals, history, astronomy, technology, etc. Most TV seems to consist of the type of shows that you mention and very little actually meaningful, educational content, which is why I abhor it so much and avoid watching it at all costs.

If TV had more educational content I would not be so opposed to it, but as it stands now it's just a medley of rehashed shows about doctors and cops, with very little meaningful content in between.

Response to Young Sheldon Cooper show 2017-07-11 15:12:22

Is it going to start with baby Sheldon's mom refusing to immunize her son? That'll be a laugh riot.