00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee.

1,032 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-25 12:39:48

Playtonic involved politics in their freaking game. Jontron is being a sport about it, but I and a good amount of people don't think this is right one bit.

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/845038284967493638

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-25 13:55:31

Fuck. And I was really excited about this game.

my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-25 14:34:34

You're a bit light on info here. To clarify, Jontron was to play a minor character in the game, and indeed he is in the game, but they're patching him out with an update because he said moronic shit in a skype debate.

Also Yooka-Laylee is a successor to Banjo Kazooie with some of the original Rare staff on board, Jon being a long time fan of the series and helped somewhat to build an interest in a successor.

=

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1236595-playtonic-flooded-yooka-laylee-refund-requests-jontrons-removal#/slide/1

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15039978/yooka-laylee-jontron-removed-playtonic

Apparently they're getting a lot of Steam refunds over this and refund requests from kickstarter. If someone isn't familiar, steam is very lenient when it comes to refunds - you can get one instantly if you have less than 2 hours played on the game and if you go over the time limit you can still get refunded if you request it.

Stupid shit all round. It was a bad more for Jon to start spreading his misinformed ideas to begin with, and it's a terrible decision on this developer's end to kick up a fuss about it now and bring politics into a game that's just about to launch.

At 3/25/17 01:30 PM, Gutnacht wrote: Scumbags. I'm all for free speech, and this is clearly a violation of that.

What's your reasoning? They're not silencing his views, they're just choosing not to associate with him and now facing the consequences of that. Should they be forced to endorse someone they don't like, or (indirectly) idea they don't agree with?

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-28 16:47:21

I think they should be allowed to take him out if they want, but didn't he pay money to get into the game? Playtonic should at least give him a refund if they make back enough money.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-28 19:49:25

At 3/28/17 04:47 PM, Pokkin wrote: I think they should be allowed to take him out if they want, but didn't he pay money to get into the game? Playtonic should at least give him a refund if they make back enough money.

I agree that it is their right to take him out. But it's also the right of the consumer to want a refund. Something that Playtonic was banning people for. It's extremely hypocritical.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-29 00:32:38

Good, fuck that guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-29 02:15:20

At 3/25/17 01:30 PM, Gutnacht wrote: Scumbags. I'm all for free speech, and this is clearly a violation of that.

Oh yeah, and since we're on the video game bulletin: I hope the game ends up being horrible.

this has nothing to do with free speech. a developer has every right to fire or expel some from a project. just because he's an internet celebrity doesn't make him special. he went into a debate he wasn't prepared for, said stupid shit and now he's dealing with the consequences of his actions. he's entitled to his opinion and has an insanely popular youtube channel where he can voice it to millions of people. but Playtonic is under no obligation to keep him on board.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-29 12:34:52

At 3/29/17 02:15 AM, Ultramartyr wrote:

Oh yeah, and since we're on the video game bulletin: I hope the game ends up being horrible.
this has nothing to do with free speech. a developer has every right to fire or expel some from a project. just because he's an internet celebrity doesn't make him special. he went into a debate he wasn't prepared for, said stupid shit and now he's dealing with the consequences of his actions. he's entitled to his opinion and has an insanely popular youtube channel where he can voice it to millions of people. but Playtonic is under no obligation to keep him on board.

You're absolutely correct. But then Playtonic should give the people who are against this notion their money back since it would be accepting money from people they do not agree with.

A jerk move on Playtonic's part, but it's in their right to do so if they wish. Jon seems to be taking it well at least.

I'll probably still get Yooka-Laylee since YouTube celebrity voice cameos don't really influence my decision on purchasing a game either way.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-29 22:32:24

Oh fuck all you whiners the game looks great and I'm still gonna buy it

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-03-30 03:28:05

At 3/28/17 07:49 PM, NomadJoe wrote: I agree that it is their right to take him out. But it's also the right of the consumer to want a refund. Something that Playtonic was banning people for. It's extremely hypocritical.

Banning people for wanting a refund? What the fuck?

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-01 22:50:49

At 3/30/17 03:28 AM, EDM364 wrote: Banning people for wanting a refund? What the fuck?

Playtonic is banning users and locking threads on Steam for speaking out against their removal of Jon from the project.

At 3/29/17 12:34 PM, NomadJoe wrote:
At 3/29/17 02:15 AM, Ultramartyr wrote:
You're absolutely correct. But then Playtonic should give the people who are against this notion their money back since it would be accepting money from people they do not agree with.

depends if you mean giving Kickstarter money back or pre-order. i feel that if you give a project money through crowdfunding, that money is gone and you have no right to get it back. it is spent on whatever the project manager deems fit. however cancelling a pre-order and getting a refund is totally justified.

in any case, Playtonic's handled this situation like airheads. they're burning their fanbase to the ground and destroying any good will they've created. they can ban anyone they want to on their Steam forums, but the discussion will just take place elsewhere and it will make them look reactionary and defensive.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-05 19:56:25

At 4/4/17 11:08 PM, skippuh wrote: Yooka-Laylee is getting not-so-great reviews, so JonTron getting the boot isn't so bad

That is what I have been concerned about, especially since Mighty No. 9. Yet I hear it's not as bad as M#9, and that a chunk of the camera issues are getting fixed at launch.

I will probably buy this. I never did play any Banjo Kazooie games...I never had an N64, since I was giving my video game dollars to Sony.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-06 08:51:35

It's a shame that Yooka Laylee is getting mediocre reviews. All the dissenters are probably getting written off as JonTron bootlickers.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

At 4/6/17 08:51 AM, Chdonga wrote: It's a shame that Yooka Laylee is getting mediocre reviews. All the dissenters are probably getting written off as JonTron bootlickers.

It was definitely a dumb move on Playtonic's part to remove Jon without even investigating what Jon actually said and why he said it. Jontron was basically saying in his debate with Destiny that every race needs to be held to the same standards that white people are being told to uphold to.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-06 12:31:42

At 4/6/17 12:01 PM, NomadJoe wrote:
At 4/6/17 08:51 AM, Chdonga wrote: It's a shame that Yooka Laylee is getting mediocre reviews. All the dissenters are probably getting written off as JonTron bootlickers.
It was definitely a dumb move on Playtonic's part to remove Jon without even investigating what Jon actually said and why he said it. Jontron was basically saying in his debate with Destiny that every race needs to be held to the same standards that white people are being told to uphold to.

I understand why they did it from a business standpoint. Most businesses are so afraid of being associated with a hatemonger that they'll kick someone out based on accusation alone.

The regressive left's been out for blood ever since JonTron came out as not-safe and not-PC. Playtonic likely booted Jon without a trial because they were afraid the left would paint the company as supporters of the alt-right if they did anything less.

It's ridiculous that there'd even be a controversy surrounding Jon being able to make babbly grunts in a Banjo Kazooie clone.

Unrelated, but man that Destiny debate was so bad. Nothing but whining and unbacked, exuberant claims from both sides. If I didn't know better I'd think Jon & Destiny were just taking the piss.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-07 01:20:52

At 4/6/17 12:31 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 4/6/17 12:01 PM, NomadJoe wrote:
At 4/6/17 08:51 AM, Chdonga wrote:
Unrelated, but man that Destiny debate was so bad. Nothing but whining and unbacked, exuberant claims from both sides. If I didn't know better I'd think Jon & Destiny were just taking the piss.

Jon does not know how to debate. But that's not his primary job. Debating is supposed to be Destiny's job apparently. But he kinda sucks at it.

Response to Jontron booted from Yooka-Laylee. 2017-04-10 08:11:49

Sums up my entire opinion on this bs