Be a Supporter!

Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News!

  • 11,279 Views
  • 56 Replies
Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 10:41:54 Reply

At 3/28/17 10:35 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/28/17 10:04 AM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Exciting news for game devs and aspiring game devs: The Construct 3 public beta starts Tuesday, March 28th!
Where can we download the beta? I looked around the site and didn't see a link...
They are in the process of launching right now - there's some technical issues going on so give it a minute to settle down.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/202/construct-3-public-beta-now-available

Update, looks like it's good to go now:

https://editor.construct.net/


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 12:28:28 Reply

I used Construct 3 to make an HTML5 version of the title screen for the game I've been working on with JohnnyUtah and Spazkid. Big reveal - it's called Nightmare Cops and you play as cops who fight peoples' nightmares.

I need to get into C3 masking to add some other sparkly effects from the official title screen.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 14:17:55 Reply

At 3/28/17 12:28 PM, TomFulp wrote: I used Construct 3 to make an HTML5 version of the title screen for the game I've been working on with JohnnyUtah and Spazkid. Big reveal - it's called Nightmare Cops and you play as cops who fight peoples' nightmares.
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/1083815

It looks super spectacular! Can't wait for the final game!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 14:25:40 Reply

At 3/28/17 02:17 PM, Wiesi wrote: It looks super spectacular! Can't wait for the final game!

Thanks <3


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-29 06:51:53 Reply

At 3/28/17 12:28 PM, TomFulp wrote: I used Construct 3 to make an HTML5 version of the title screen for the game I've been working on with JohnnyUtah and Spazkid. Big reveal - it's called Nightmare Cops and you play as cops who fight peoples' nightmares.

Sounds/looks promising! Getting Hotline Miami-like neon eighties vibes from the logo. Creative idea.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-29 15:23:01 Reply

At 3/28/17 12:28 PM, TomFulp wrote: I used Construct 3 to make an HTML5 version of the title screen for the game I've been working on with JohnnyUtah and Spazkid. Big reveal - it's called Nightmare Cops and you play as cops who fight peoples' nightmares.
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/1083815
I need to get into C3 masking to add some other sparkly effects from the official title screen.

that title screen looks great.,
I see lots of Pixel games that use very small gif files
would you say this engine holds up well to raster heavy projects with big PNG files? like the accelerant game?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-29 15:29:30 Reply

At 3/29/17 03:23 PM, MindChamber wrote: that title screen looks great.,
I see lots of Pixel games that use very small gif files
would you say this engine holds up well to raster heavy projects with big PNG files? like the accelerant game?

Hard to say how it would handle something like Accelerant... I started recreating the "drive around town" aspect of Nightmare Cops and so far it's handling well (feels cool to try it on mobile). The thought was maybe the NC website would use the driving around town as a way to interact and learn about the game but it feels like it robs some of the original experience from the game and might deflate it a bit... So next up might try walking around as one of the NPCs, to learn some stuff with a unique experience that isn't directly taken from the game.

I should try making something to stress test it.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-30 06:25:03 Reply

Hm.. for some reason Construct 3 doesn't let me import sound files. Anyone else has that problem?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-30 08:09:18 Reply

At 3/30/17 06:25 AM, Wiesi wrote: Hm.. for some reason Construct 3 doesn't let me import sound files. Anyone else has that problem?

Does it crash when you try or just say the feature isn't available? There are definitely some bugs with importing outside media, I had a crash when I tried importing a video.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-30 08:42:30 Reply

At 3/30/17 08:09 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/30/17 06:25 AM, Wiesi wrote: Hm.. for some reason Construct 3 doesn't let me import sound files. Anyone else has that problem?
Does it crash when you try or just say the feature isn't available? There are definitely some bugs with importing outside media, I had a crash when I tried importing a video.

No, it doesn't crash but it doesn't let me use the import button either. What I do is: I right click on "Sounds" in the project bar. Then i choose "Import Sounds" from the drop down menu and then a window pops up where i can pick a sound file from my computer. But after having done that the "Import" button in that window isn't clickable, only the "Cancel" button is working. You can see it on the attached screenshot. In Construct 2 it is working perfectly fine btw.

Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News!

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-30 09:25:44 Reply

At 3/30/17 08:09 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/30/17 06:25 AM, Wiesi wrote: Hm.. for some reason Construct 3 doesn't let me import sound files. Anyone else has that problem?
Does it crash when you try or just say the feature isn't available? There are definitely some bugs with importing outside media, I had a crash when I tried importing a video.

I just tried the new update (release r13) and the sound bug is fixed now!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 3/30/17 09:25 AM, Wiesi wrote:
At 3/30/17 08:09 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/30/17 06:25 AM, Wiesi wrote: Hm.. for some reason Construct 3 doesn't let me import sound files. Anyone else has that problem?
Does it crash when you try or just say the feature isn't available? There are definitely some bugs with importing outside media, I had a crash when I tried importing a video.
I just tried the new update (release r13) and the sound bug is fixed now!

Lots o' fixing going on!


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DanielCotorogea
DanielCotorogea
  • Member since: May. 28, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-30 16:40:48 Reply

count me in!


"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." Shigeru Miyamoto

Leathertoast
Leathertoast
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Animator
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-31 02:20:33 Reply

HELL YES BOOIIIIIII

ArlesLunaAmayo1
ArlesLunaAmayo1
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-04-20 18:33:26 Reply

Great, i can explode the creativity who i can´t use on my first game made with Construct2. I think in a terror game

Oultrox
Oultrox
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer

At 3/25/17 08:39 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/25/17 02:31 AM, Oultrox wrote: Code Red was made in Construct 2 as well! Being a visual scripting enviroment, I learnt a lot of Game developtment programming logic, I learnt about gamedev in general, and I grow up as a game developer with the engine, so now, that the next step of scirra has come, I'm looking forward to try it! seems really great!
I should have included that! I've added it to the Construct 2 collection now. I'd really like people to be able to specify their tools right in the project system and have pages auto-generated based on that. Same with animation, music and even art.

Hey! Thank you! it's 4rd on the C2 section so I'm still receiven some good exposure. <3 but, is that already a feature or your saying that you want to implement that?

Btw, if I can do some marketing around here, just released the Ludum Dare 38 entry as well, and it was made with C2 as well!

  • Sucker Munch
    Sucker Munch by VeryEvilTomato

    An action packed twin stick shooter about a virus fighting the munchies. Made for LD38 jam

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    88 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-04-26 08:17:47 Reply

At 4/26/17 02:32 AM, Oultrox wrote: Btw, if I can do some marketing around here, just released the Ludum Dare 38 entry as well, and it was made with C2 as well!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/692520

Added to collections and front page!


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
quintenplague
quintenplague
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-04-28 22:06:01 Reply

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I will be participating in the Construct 3 Game Jam that Newgrownds will be hosting.
The game I will be creating is called

THE BOX
(There is only one way out)


project 8

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-04-29 17:25:12 Reply

At 4/28/17 10:06 PM, quintenplague wrote:
At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I will be participating in the Construct 3 Game Jam that Newgrownds will be hosting.
The game I will be creating is called

THE BOX
(There is only one way out)

We'll be announcing a theme at the start of the jam but you should be able to work the theme into other ideas you have.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ZakChaos
ZakChaos
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-06 19:57:44 Reply

Hello all,
Thought it would be cool to get a group of people together to maximize our abilities of construct 3, then be ready for the jam when it happens, i think teams are allowed? we can focus on perfecting best practices/ maximizing potential of c3.
Excited about this new jam and really wanna gear up and practice and prepare as much as I can before the jam.
feel free to pm me or respond here if interested, maybe we can form a skype group or something?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-08 09:42:16 Reply

At 5/6/17 07:57 PM, ZakChaos wrote: Hello all,
Thought it would be cool to get a group of people together to maximize our abilities of construct 3, then be ready for the jam when it happens, i think teams are allowed? we can focus on perfecting best practices/ maximizing potential of c3.
Excited about this new jam and really wanna gear up and practice and prepare as much as I can before the jam.
feel free to pm me or respond here if interested, maybe we can form a skype group or something?

Teams are fine!


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
RadicalGames
RadicalGames
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-13 16:11:11 Reply

C2 is a good engine for beginner game designers but C3 is a subscription engine that allows Scirra to hold your games hostage and is full of bugs and only works on a few system because of Chrome limitations.

Read these forum topics before even considering subscribing to C3:

https://www.scirra.com/forum/so-what-is-your-second-impression-of-c3-and-will-you-buy_t190060

https://www.scirra.com/forum/petition-to-change-construct3-subscription-payment_t187105

Notice that Tom and Ashley locked those forum topics because they had many of the base saying they don't want a subscription based Chrome engine at any price.

So IMO just get the free version for the Jam and then look at C2 or a different engine!

quintenplague
quintenplague
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-13 19:40:21 Reply

Game maker studio 2 is great so far and has more than c3 has.


project 8

BBS Signature
noelumerez
noelumerez
  • Member since: Sep. 14, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-15 04:53:25 Reply

hi, Is this open for all NG users? is there any registration

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-15 08:35:48 Reply

At 5/15/17 04:53 AM, noelumerez wrote: hi, Is this open for all NG users? is there any registration

This is open to everyone. You already have an NG account so you can use that to submit any game you make. you don't need to pre-register for the contest itself.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Scirra
Scirra
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-15 10:03:57 Reply

At 5/13/17 04:11 PM, RadicalGames wrote: C2 is a good engine for beginner game designers but C3 is a subscription engine that allows Scirra to hold your games hostage and is full of bugs and only works on a few system because of Chrome limitations.

Read these forum topics before even considering subscribing to C3:

https://www.scirra.com/forum/so-what-is-your-second-impression-of-c3-and-will-you-buy_t190060

https://www.scirra.com/forum/petition-to-change-construct3-subscription-payment_t187105

Notice that Tom and Ashley locked those forum topics because they had many of the base saying they don't want a subscription based Chrome engine at any price.

So IMO just get the free version for the Jam and then look at C2 or a different engine!

The first post was locked because we banned the particular user for being personally threatening (every successful website has their fair share of trolls!). So no, we didn't lock it for the reason you're suggesting, and I would of thought you might of known that!

The second post we allowed to be up for over three months, Ashley explained the reasons for locking in the final post.

A lot of these posts drift off topic, or go in endless circles which is why they are locked. There's still at least one open and active. Always happy to receive and respond to constructive criticism.

only works on a few system because of Chrome limitations.

You're right it currently only works on Chrome, but that's not because of Chrome limitations... it's because other browser have limitations.

Secondly, progress is moving on nicely with Firefox last time I spoke to Ash.

RadicalGames
RadicalGames
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-05-15 23:12:51 Reply

Read the threads at all the negative feedback from longtime C2 users that do not want a C3 chrome based subscription engine full of bugs and a lot of empty promises from Ashley and Tom:

https://www.scirra.com/forum/what-payment-option-would-you-like-to-see-for-construct-3_t191308?start=140
https://www.scirra.com/forum/petition-to-change-construct3-subscription-payment_t187105
https://www.scirra.com/forum/so-what-is-your-second-impression-of-c3-and-will-you-buy_t190060

That is hundreds of long time C2 users all saying they don't want C3 and that Ashley and Tom screwed over when they abandoned the C2 base and lied about exporters and bug fixes and features they never produced but were paid for.

Never a good idea to screw over your base!