Be a Supporter!

Is racism a mental illness.

  • 720 Views
  • 76 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 01:41:16 Reply

At 3/18/17 11:53 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Republicans -> pro gun

Conservatives -> pro what has been around

Liberals -> pro freedom

So you can be a liberal as far as gun rights go, a conservative AND a republican. Did I just blow your mind? Well guess what, if you believe the government can make progress on gun freedom through policy you might just be a progressive too!

I'd like to throw in that the term "conservative" itself isn't automatically bad. The idea of being in favor of traditions and certain social values isn't in itself a bad thing, it's good to have established social order, the problem with the conservative political group in the US is that the majority of them want to conserve the wrong things, or want to conserve things too well.

I'm against the conservatives in the US, but I'm not against the actual ideas behind "conservatism". There are some things worth conserving, like strong family values and an unbiased education. The thing that scares me the most right now is how all education in the US either has a strong leaning either to the right or the left. Conservatives want science to be abolished and liberals want anti-white propaganda pushed, there doesn't seem to be a group for people like me who just want children to be taught with no political bias.


WINNER OF NGBBS ATTENTION WHORE 4 YEARS CONSECUTIVE. FUCK WITH ME.

BBS Signature
Nithael
Nithael
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Writer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 06:22:01 Reply

I consider it to be synonymous with stupidity. The mere concept that skin color or country of origin could have any form of direct effect on ones personality, intelligence or really any kind of personal traits is insanely fucking stupid and frankly I don't consider those who believe that kind of bullshit to be fully sentient beings.


Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.
My youtube channel!

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 10:58:01 Reply

I have a camo hat I like to wear just because people treat me completely differently when I put it on.

Nothing about me changes as a person, yet people perceive me completely differently.

The shit is a better exploit than fucking quote text.

and quote text is super awesome for subliminal messages, especially when someone doesn't read it before they hit reply

Now imagine how much more differently people would treat me if I could not just change the color of my hat, but the color of my skin and hair, even though that has absolutely zero effect on my moral and intellectual qualities? It makes you start to think that maybe people are crazy and easily manipulated.

You know, mentally ill.

Like @tylerfromtexas , who is astounded that a word derived from liberty to describe someone who loves freedom is a pejorative term used to describe those who would like extreme social controls, all because of exactly this sort of bait and switch, where you put a camo hat on old Imperial system and call it freedom.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 14:52:51 Reply

At 3/19/17 10:58 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: Like @tylerfromtexas , who is astounded that a word derived from liberty to describe someone who loves freedom is a pejorative term used to describe those who would like extreme social controls

Well, the "liberal" political group has absolutely become just that. You specifically might not want that, but that's what the left wants. Extreme social controls.


WINNER OF NGBBS ATTENTION WHORE 4 YEARS CONSECUTIVE. FUCK WITH ME.

BBS Signature
DragonLimbo
DragonLimbo
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2014
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 19:52:52 Reply

There's nothing wrong with "racist" jokes. I mean a joke can't truly be racist because it's a joke. Is the concept of a joke really so hard for people to understand?

ThomasFang
ThomasFang
  • Member since: Jul. 4, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-19 21:02:36 Reply

At 3/19/17 07:52 PM, DragonLimbo wrote: There's nothing wrong with "racist" jokes. I mean a joke can't truly be racist because it's a joke. Is the concept of a joke really so hard for people to understand?

Humor is pretty subjective. If you act like an ass and make a racist joke to someone and it actually genuinely hurts them, then yeah you'd be in the wrong.

However that shouldn't silence offensive humor. It's really a timing thing. There's a time and place for everything.

Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-20 08:51:15 Reply

no one takes this question seriously. even if you see merit in it, you know racism is not a mental illness. if you can define racism as a mental illness, you can define anything as a mental illness. racism is just a learned behavior and thought pattern. i take an inefficient way home from work because i learned the route and haven't bothered to learn a different one because i'm comfortable with it. according to the premise of the thread, i can be diagnosed with a mental illness based on that criteria. that's dumb.


It doesn't sound good, but it sounds better than it used to.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-20 13:12:00 Reply

Read this the other day, thought it might be instructive to discussion here.

I don't really think racism is a mental illness honestly. I don't think it presents enough of the traits. I agree with ultra that it is a learned behavior usually. It tends to stem from lack of information, or usually assumptions based on nothing (or occasionally based on something real, but then extrapolated out to a ridiculous degree. Like a case of "persons of this race statistically do more of a particular crime" turns into someone hearing that saying "oh, ok, so those people all do that crime because of some defect in them because of their race....I'll just go with that vs. looking into any other possible factor). It can also, like this article points out, stem from a lack of exposure to people who aren't like you, or don't share your background or core ideals (or just the perception that they don't). This really goes back again to something that's been troubling me for awhile now, the way that while the internet can open you up to the world, it can also be very good at allowing you to close off, and retreat into a comfortable bubble of ideas that simply reinforce your views and make you feel like they are inherently and undisputedly correct because you can close yourself off from other narratives and ideas and facts.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Kehmicle
Kehmicle
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-20 13:37:52 Reply

The way I define mental illness is abnormal feelings or behaviours generated as a result of deviations of relative concentrations of particular neurotransmitters.

It cannot be argued that racism is caused by any surplus or deficit of any neurotransmitters.

So its caused by opinions of people. It is a social disease, not a psychological one.


BBS Signature
DragonLimbo
DragonLimbo
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2014
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer

At 3/19/17 09:02 PM, ThomasFang wrote:
At 3/19/17 07:52 PM, DragonLimbo wrote: There's nothing wrong with "racist" jokes. I mean a joke can't truly be racist because it's a joke. Is the concept of a joke really so hard for people to understand?
Humor is pretty subjective. If you act like an ass and make a racist joke to someone and it actually genuinely hurts them, then yeah you'd be in the wrong.

However, that shouldn't silence offensive humor. It's really a timing thing. There's a time and place for everything.

The part of humor that is subjective is if it's funny to you or not. What isn't subjective is if something is a joke. And no, it is not wrong to offend people. Someone's oversensitivity is their own problem that can't rightfully be blamed on the person that offended them.

Porkchop
Porkchop
  • Member since: Mar. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Art Lover
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 16:56:58 Reply

At 3/20/17 08:51 PM, DragonLimbo wrote:
At 3/19/17 09:02 PM, ThomasFang wrote:
At 3/19/17 07:52 PM, DragonLimbo wrote: There's nothing wrong with "racist" jokes. I mean a joke can't truly be racist because it's a joke. Is the concept of a joke really so hard for people to understand?
Humor is pretty subjective. If you act like an ass and make a racist joke to someone and it actually genuinely hurts them, then yeah you'd be in the wrong.

However, that shouldn't silence offensive humor. It's really a timing thing. There's a time and place for everything.
The part of humor that is subjective is if it's funny to you or not. What isn't subjective is if something is a joke. And no, it is not wrong to offend people. Someone's oversensitivity is their own problem that can't rightfully be blamed on the person that offended them.

Hold up man, I kinda disagree here. Totally disregarding that this is, at best, tangentially related to the core of OP's post.

I'll concede that over-sensitivity is dictated on a case by case basis; that is to say that if you're telling a bunch of racially/sexually charged jokes to a crowd and someone gets offended, well, that comes with the territory and can't be helped.

Where I disagree, however, is where you suggest that it can't be blamed on the person that offended them, even to a slight degree. I mean, there's a distinct difference between acknowledging that you had a role in offending someone and facing repercussions of offending someone.

I feel that if I tell a racist/sexist/whatever-ist joke to someone and they get offended, it's proper to acknowledge that and simply carry on. However, I believe that it's hideously awful if an individual gets the shit sued out of them or their entire lives upended because their joke was considered offensive.


BBS Signature
DragonLimbo
DragonLimbo
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2014
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 19:41:17 Reply

At 3/22/17 04:56 PM, Porkchop wrote: Where I disagree, however, is where you suggest that it can't be blamed on the person that offended them, even to a slight degree. I mean, there's a distinct difference between acknowledging that you had a role in offending someone and facing repercussions of offending someone.

I feel that if I tell a racist/sexist/whatever-ist joke to someone and they get offended, it's proper to acknowledge that and simply carry on.

I'm not saying that they don't have a role in it, but that they shouldn't be "blamed." Which are two things you are conflating.

Is it proper to acknowledge that? What do you even mean? Do you mean to accept or admit? You don't have to admit if you offended someone.

Blame:
assign responsibility for a fault or wrong.

Porkchop
Porkchop
  • Member since: Mar. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Art Lover
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 20:24:27 Reply

At 3/22/17 07:41 PM, DragonLimbo wrote:
At 3/22/17 04:56 PM, Porkchop wrote: Where I disagree, however, is where you suggest that it can't be blamed on the person that offended them, even to a slight degree. I mean, there's a distinct difference between acknowledging that you had a role in offending someone and facing repercussions of offending someone.

I feel that if I tell a racist/sexist/whatever-ist joke to someone and they get offended, it's proper to acknowledge that and simply carry on.
I'm not saying that they don't have a role in it, but that they shouldn't be "blamed." Which are two things you are conflating.

Is it proper to acknowledge that? What do you even mean? Do you mean to accept or admit? You don't have to admit if you offended someone.

Blame:
assign responsibility for a fault or wrong.

You're right, mate. I see that I mixed up my stances a bit.

To wit, I don't feel that blame should be placed on somebody that offends.

I do feel that those that offend people with off-color jokes (like myself) should acknowledge when someone takes offense. 'Accept' and 'Admit', when used as a verb, means to acknowledge, but contextually, they hold different connotations. I misunderstood the point you were making.


BBS Signature
Radaketor
Radaketor
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 20:50:51 Reply

Pretty sure humans are hard-wired to be more trusting of other humans that look like and act like them than the opposite.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 20:59:34 Reply

At 3/22/17 08:50 PM, Radaketor wrote: Pretty sure humans are hard-wired to be more trusting of other humans that look like and act like them than the opposite.

Then how come most people like their pets more than other people?


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Radaketor
Radaketor
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 21:14:48 Reply

At 3/22/17 08:59 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 3/22/17 08:50 PM, Radaketor wrote: Pretty sure humans are hard-wired to be more trusting of other humans that look like and act like them than the opposite.
Then how come most people like their pets more than other people?

I'm white, if I had a little black guy who I pet every day, fed, cared for, picked-up their shit and played with, I think I'd grow attached to him as well. I certainly wouldn't go ahead and hug a rabid dog on the street, though.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-22 22:32:24 Reply

At 3/22/17 09:14 PM, Radaketor wrote:
I'm white.... I certainly wouldn't go ahead and hug a rabid dog on the street, though.

Make up your mind, are you white, or do you think dogs are disgusting?

Because if you won't let a dog kiss you in the mouth, you're not 100% all the way white, and you're going to have to accept that about yourself.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."