Be a Supporter!

Is racism a mental illness.

  • 719 Views
  • 76 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-14 10:55:21 Reply

Because it sure as hell acts like one.

It's basically a form of magical thinking: the assumption that someone's ethnic or genetic heritage automatically implies certain traits. It's not logical, and it causes people to suffer in their daily functioning, although it mainly forces that suffering onto people who do not have the disease.

Just like a mental illness.

Also, people who suffer from it often don't know they suffer from it.

Just like a mental illness.

There's also great stigma against admitting you suffer from it.

Just like a mental illness.

There seems to be a movement towards de-stigmatizing mental illness so that people who suffer from it don't feel a barrier to getting help. Wouldn't classifying racism as a mental illness demand the de-stigmatization of racism?

Imagine this scenario: You see someone telling a racist joke, and instead of laughing (which is an appropriate reaction to anything worthy of ridicule) you just get morose and say "Oh, I didn't know you were suffering from racism. I hear there's a medication for that. We would probably all be happier if you were on drugs"

And let's say, just for giggles, you could get approved for medical marijuana if you were diagnosed as a racist by a doctor. I mean, seems plausible. Stoned hippies are rarely racist.

Of course you would need a high level of involuntary secret medical surveillance over everyone in the united states to make this plan work, but frankly we already have that to catch people with drug dependence, PTSD, anxiety, anger management issues, and other mental health issues that can lead to criminally disruptive behavior. The only thing the medical industry lacks is funding. Please note I didn't mention consent, because many mental illnesses are treated involuntarily, especially drug addiction which is the main model for this sort of intervention.

I mean, how else are we going to stamp out racism? All other forms of ignorance are fought with compulsory education, why should this one be any different?


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate

At 3/14/17 10:55 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: All other forms of ignorance are fought with compulsory education, why should this one be any different?

Because there's a good number of people who believe that racist behavior is a right, especially when it comes to racist jokes etc.
That's why ideas designed to combat racism are described as discriminatory to the majority by the people who oppose them. To them, combatting racism is a violation of personal freedom.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 00:22:38 Reply

At 3/14/17 08:13 PM, Entice wrote:
Because there's a good number of people who believe that racist behavior is a right, especially when it comes to racist jokes etc.

The mentally ill aren't people. For instance, they don't have power of attorney for themselves; they have to play mother may I with a designated care giver. That's something only people have, not the mentally ill. Dudes in nambla think they have a right to diddle kiddies, and they are rightfully on a watchlist.

Racists should have to live in that kind of fear too.

I would love to see a will invalidated because allegations of racism destroyed the presupposition of mental soundness in the deceased, and they have to leave all their money to their mixed grandchildren literally against their will.

That's why ideas designed to combat racism are described as discriminatory to the majority by the people who oppose them. To them, combatting racism is a violation of personal freedom.

Does that mean racists think inferior racial status is a disability? Because that would entitle minorities to a disability check. Sometimes you can have your cake by eating it.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

EoD696
EoD696
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician

At 3/14/17 10:55 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: words

you are so dumb...racism is a natural thing...what amazes me is that people can't fucking realize that...you're trained to deny assumptions brought on by your racism, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

Let's look at something similar, and you tell me if it sounds like mental illness - I see a doberman pinscher barking at me. I immediately assume the dog is aggressive and do anything I can to get away from it. I've made an assumption that this dog looks like a breed of dogs that is notoriously aggressive, and that I am in danger because of it's breed. Is that mental illness?

Now, I'm not saying you should run away from people if they're a particular race. I'm saying that when you see a person and can identify their race, you will automatically make assumptions about their culture, general preferences, social tendencies, etc. This is based primarily on anecdotal experience (in healthy people), it's not conjured from thin air or rumors. I'm not saying that there are a few people that this happens to, I'm saying this is part of the human condition. Ok, it happens to *you* whether you want to admit it or not.

Our minds instinctively make assumptions about what we see. That's how we operate. See those two white orbs inside your face? Those are predatory mounted eyeballs. We're predators. We see something we want, we make assumptions about it, and we take it - at the most *basic* level of humanity, this is true. How can that not be true when we look at other people? How can we not make assumptions about who someone is based on what they look like? And how can race be somehow precluded from that thought process?

It can't...the endeavor is folly. You're denying your own nature. It's better if we accept that racism is part of the human condition, and we embrace our differences. ok....I'm not advocating racist behavior, or jokes, or bigotry, ok....I just want to point out that judging books by their cover is entirely natural...and in no way a mental illness....

Just tell the doctor you have backpain, and you don't want NSAIDs. He'll probly give you weed.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 13:05:16 Reply

At 3/15/17 12:36 AM, EoD696 wrote: you are so dumb...racism is a natural thing...what amazes me is that people can't fucking realize that...you're trained to deny assumptions brought on by your racism, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

Everything that people do is in the realm of natural human behavior, that doesn't mean it's not dysfunctional.
The concept of race as we know it today isn't even really that old, so I have my doubts that it's really this inevitable conclusion.

Let's look at something similar, and you tell me if it sounds like mental illness - I see a doberman pinscher barking at me. I immediately assume the dog is aggressive and do anything I can to get away from it. I've made an assumption that this dog looks like a breed of dogs that is notoriously aggressive, and that I am in danger because of it's breed. Is that mental illness?

So? I don't think it's asking a lot for people to work past such gut feelings of prejudice. Sure, I would make that assumption about the breed of dog, but I also have the intelligence and self-control to know that it's an irrational feeling and that I shouldn't avoid or treat every dog of that breed badly because of it. People who can't do this probably actually do have something wrong with them, or just aren't very smart.

Gutnacht
Gutnacht
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 16:27:59 Reply

It's an opinion, but it's frowned upon. People just don't get that humans are stubborn and don't want to get proven wrong so they make up any excuse to stick with their opinion.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 17:21:36 Reply

People seem to be in love with this topic; I saw it on another forum.

Short answer: no

Mental illness is a succinct categorization defined by the DSM that qualifies conditions which are interruption to one's standard way of life that prevent them from living a normal life and that should then be treatable.

Someone who is racist and has a mental illness that's in the DSM might do truly awful things. It's likely that Dillon Roof has some condition, such as sociopathy.

That doesn't mean that racism isn't a problem, that it's not a problem that lives in the mind, and that it shouldn't be corrected; but, it's not a mental illness.

If you categorize racism as a mental illness there's little left to stop you from finding other lines of thought, philosophies and religions that make no sense and are used as justification to harm people and classifying them as mental illnesses. Is Christianity a mental illness? Judaism? Atheism?

The answer is of course no. But I can understand the fantasy that maybe there's some system out there that we're just not using that could clean up all of our problems.


.

BBS Signature
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 17:45:59 Reply

At 3/15/17 05:21 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
If you categorize racism as a mental illness there's little left to stop you from finding other lines of thought, philosophies and religions that make no sense and are used as justification to harm people and classifying them as mental illnesses. Is Christianity a mental illness? Judaism? Atheism?

Worked in the russian psikhuskhas

Just sayin'.

Oppositional-defiant disorder and "agitation" are both on the books. I see people pissed off at their doctors get those all the time, especially when they complain about blatantly substandard care. Whine too much and you get the ol' haldol.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 21:56:03 Reply

At 3/15/17 05:21 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Short answer: no

Short answer: yes with an if. Long answer: no with a but.

Anyway, racism to me seems to be like an offshoot of many personality disorders, but it fits paranoid and narcissistic quite well.

TylerFromTexas
TylerFromTexas
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-15 22:41:51 Reply

Racism is due to ignorance more than anything, unless ignorance is considered a mental illness.


I used to be TNT
Latest song cover: The Kids Aren't Alright (uploaded on 1/12/2017)
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 00:22:46 Reply

That makes a lot of sense actually.

Hey, homosexuality used to supposedly be a mental illness, this wouldn't be outlandish.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy

At 3/15/17 05:45 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Whine too much and you get the ol' haldol.

I hate haldol.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 00:30:48 Reply

At 3/15/17 10:41 PM, TylerFromTexas wrote: Racism is due to ignorance more than anything, unless ignorance is considered a mental illness.

Ignorance isn't a mental illness, at least the unintentional kind. The good majority of racists, at least subconsciously are cognizant of their beliefs, even if they are deplorable. This is the kind of logic that really is a slippery slope that is probably best not to go down, lest we normalize racist behavior like we did in the past.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 00:37:51 Reply

I don't think there is an actual answer to this, just a perspective. It may also be based on the individual.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 09:33:36 Reply

At 3/16/17 12:30 AM, orangebomb wrote:
At 3/15/17 10:41 PM, TylerFromTexas wrote: Racism is due to ignorance more than anything, unless ignorance is considered a mental illness.
Ignorance isn't a mental illness, at least the unintentional kind. The good majority of racists, at least subconsciously are cognizant of their beliefs, even if they are deplorable. This is the kind of logic that really is a slippery slope that is probably best not to go down, lest we normalize racist behavior like we did in the past.

Is racism due to ignorance?

Studying animal husbandry, eugenics seems to make a whole lot of sense.

Children are ignorant. They're normally not racist until they learn it.

It seems like an oversimplification to say "I don't like this, it has negative effects: It's ignorant."

But it's not just ignorant. Ignorance is morally innocent, but there's nothing innocent about racism. There's malice in it. The people who believe in it honestly are making a eugenic argument that certain people shouldn't be allowed to breed and thrive and integrate into the genome.

The problem is the assumption people are smart enough to manage their own genome without ending up like bulldogs: so limited in genetic diversity that there's not enough old healthy DNA in the species to balance out the congenital diseases caused by genetic mutation and drift and barely able to breed at all without medical intervention.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the main reason we are not currently ruled by pedigreed royalty is because they would always end up so inbred and deformed they would become unfit to rule and had to continually refresh their lines with peasant blood, rendering the whole concept of racial purity hilariously moot.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 10:39:53 Reply

At 3/15/17 09:56 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Short answer: yes with an if. Long answer: no with a but.

No. The only answer is no.

Definition: "A mental illness is a disease that causes mild to severe disturbances in thought and/or behavior, resulting in an inability to cope with life’s ordinary demands and routines."

Racism is only a part of a mental illness when it becomes a delusion that interrupts the living of life. And it's the predilection towards living in a reality that does not exist that is the mental illness. Racism is like a symptom, not the diagnosis, not the root cause, not what you end up targeting treatment towards.

For those who are interested in redefining what a mental illness is and understanding this from a technical and medical perspective, read this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071634/


.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-16 22:24:33 Reply

At 3/16/17 10:39 AM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 3/15/17 09:56 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Short answer: yes with an if. Long answer: no with a but.
No. The only answer is no.

It's a Simpsons quote.

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Artist
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 01:04:07 Reply

Because it sure as hell acts like one.
It's basically a form of magical thinking: the assumption that someone's ethnic or genetic heritage automatically implies certain traits. It's not logical, and it causes people to suffer in their daily functioning, although it mainly forces that suffering onto people who do not have the disease.
Just like a mental illness.
Also, people who suffer from it often don't know they suffer from it.
Just like a mental illness.
There's also great stigma against admitting you suffer from it.
Just like a mental illness.
There seems to be a movement towards de-stigmatizing mental illness so that people who suffer from it don't feel a barrier to getting help. Wouldn't classifying racism as a mental illness demand the de-stigmatization of racism?
Imagine this scenario: You see someone telling a racist joke, and instead of laughing (which is an appropriate reaction to anything worthy of ridicule) you just get morose and say "Oh, I didn't know you were suffering from racism. I hear there's a medication for that. We would probably all be happier if you were on drugs"
And let's say, just for giggles, you could get approved for medical marijuana if you were diagnosed as a racist by a doctor. I mean, seems plausible. Stoned hippies are rarely racist.
Of course you would need a high level of involuntary secret medical surveillance over everyone in the united states to make this plan work, but frankly we already have that to catch people with drug dependence, PTSD, anxiety, anger management issues, and other mental health issues that can lead to criminally disruptive behavior. The only thing the medical industry lacks is funding. Please note I didn't mention consent, because many mental illnesses are treated involuntarily, especially drug addiction which is the main model for this sort of intervention.
I mean, how else are we going to stamp out racism? All other forms of ignorance are fought with compulsory education, why should this one be any different?


Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
asdfsilax
asdfsilax
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 01:30:47 Reply

Remember kids if you spit facts about ethnic groups youre a racist BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE SPECIAL HEART MEDICATION.

Dubsyn
Dubsyn
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 02:00:32 Reply

At 3/14/17 10:55 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
I mean, how else are we going to stamp out racism?

uhh theres always a certain truth to any saying.

Like if you think of a certain word for a person like nerd you think glasses, pimples, lispy, etc.

Not because it's a mental illness...it's because it's fairly accurate of the traits of a nerd

Or like girls with big boobs are more attractive than small boobs

there's a certain truth to it...


fuck sigs

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 02:12:58 Reply

The vast majority of people have racist thoughts or beliefs in one way or another. Every single race and ethnicity.

Stop fucking virtue signalling and trying to make yourself look like jesus fucking christ to get "cool kid points" with the liberal crowd.


WINNER OF NGBBS ATTENTION WHORE 4 YEARS CONSECUTIVE. FUCK WITH ME.

BBS Signature
Skiddle
Skiddle
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician

Or if you're gay, A guy with a big ass is more attractive than a smaller one

At 3/17/17 02:00 AM, Dubsyn wrote:
Or like girls with big boobs are more attractive than small boobs

there's a certain truth to it...
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Musician
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 08:15:52 Reply

is racism good or bad? (an in-depth exploration by the ng bbs community filled with hilarious and FACT-FILLED xenomit posts)


BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO FORGE FIRST TO BRING THE WAY FOR OTHERS -
H. // E L I J A H // M U H A M M A D

BBS Signature
SamPercyWellsDay
SamPercyWellsDay
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Melancholy

At 3/14/17 10:55 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: Wouldn't classifying racism as a mental illness demand the de-stigmatization of racism?

Like with any mental illness, there is nothing wrong about them and their illness, but they need help so they can cope in day-to-day life, their illness can be of the detriment of themselves if it causes themselves and people close to them suffering, whether that be stress, anxiety, fear, concern, worrying, panicking, depression, or anything else or any combination of these emotions for long periods of time, routinely fading out and coming back with the days, weeks or months.

There are obviously cases where people are simply socially unaware of what they're saying, they can't grasp the finer subtitles of language and human-to-human interaction, they are emotionally dumb and unsympathetic, possibly psychopaths or simply do not have the ability to empathize, and all this can lead to many altercations with other people. Please understand, they do not intend to cause harm, they just don't know exactly what they're doing, and so require help.

Its always a black and white thing with people, either you are something or your not, but I'm sorry, People, Human beings, Just ain't that simple, so Racism might not affect the majority of people in any significant way, although one could still find it causing small problems in their lifes if they we're to focus on it, you'll find much more racist people who are more handicapped and mentally ill than people who are paranoid schizophreniacs or having personality disorders. This ain't supposed to be a contest to see who is the more mentally "fucked up", only I am trying to highlight the complexity of mental health.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 10:24:07 Reply

At 3/17/17 01:04 AM, Spedmallet wrote: Because it sure as hell acts like one.

what why are you repeating

At 3/17/17 02:12 AM, Xenomit wrote: The vast majority of people have racist thoughts or beliefs in one way or another. Every single race and ethnicity.

Stop fucking virtue signalling and trying to make yourself look like jesus fucking christ to get "cool kid points" with the liberal crowd.

Just like there's a difference between having a bout of diarrhea and having crohn's or having a cold versus having COPD, there's a difference between having a symptom of an illness that may cause social debility, and being severely socially disabled.

Healthy people occasionally cough. Healthy people are occasionally depressed. Healthy people sometimes think racist thoughts.

The trick is when you notice it happening, to find a way to make it stop.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Skwurll
Skwurll
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 14:23:37 Reply

Depends...

If I say I don't like people who look differently from me, do I get medical marijuana?


The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 14:40:10 Reply

At 3/17/17 10:24 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 3/17/17 02:12 AM, Xenomit wrote: The vast majority of people have racist thoughts or beliefs in one way or another. Every single race and ethnicity.

Stop fucking virtue signalling and trying to make yourself look like jesus fucking christ to get "cool kid points" with the liberal crowd.
Just like there's a difference between having a bout of diarrhea and having crohn's or having a cold versus having COPD, there's a difference between having a symptom of an illness that may cause social debility, and being severely socially disabled.

Healthy people occasionally cough. Healthy people are occasionally depressed. Healthy people sometimes think racist thoughts.

The trick is when you notice it happening, to find a way to make it stop.

The difference here, is that those are all physical illnesses. If you have symptoms of a mental illness, you most likely have that mental illness. Now, if you're willing to say that the vast majority of people have the mental illness of "racism", then by all means, go ahead, but I'm not quite as judgmental.

Racism is no less of a mental illness than a religion. It's a set of beliefs that can and will cause you to think a certain way about certain things, and it's very very difficult to get you to understand that you're wrong about most of the things you believe. That doesn't equate to mental illness, and the fact that you genuinely think that it is makes me think you might be the mentally ill one.


WINNER OF NGBBS ATTENTION WHORE 4 YEARS CONSECUTIVE. FUCK WITH ME.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 14:49:57 Reply

You know, I understand why some of you on the left would love to imagine that you could classify racism as a mental illness, because it would like, stigmatize it even more and you could say that racists are literally, medically retarded and it'd be true, but I don't think you realize that if it were officially classified as a mental illness, it wouldn't stop people from being racist, it would just give them a very very good reason to be very open about it. They could publicly go around shouting racist shit and discriminating against people based on race, and if anyone beats them up for it, they could press charges against that person for committing a hate crime (assaulting a mentally handicapped person).

It would not only allow them to get away with being racist with ZERO repercussions, but would also allow them to PUNISH people that try to harm them.

I'm pretty sure no one on the left has thought about this though, the far side of either political spectrum is typically void of any actual intelligence and the left in particular is completely incapable of seeing more than one week into the future.


WINNER OF NGBBS ATTENTION WHORE 4 YEARS CONSECUTIVE. FUCK WITH ME.

BBS Signature
asdfsilax
asdfsilax
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 14:59:59 Reply

Hey guys define racism, racist and argue whether or not we're all inherently racist, argue why groups should be thought as inherently the same and why assuming equality isnt a illness because I thought racism is bad because of holding beliefs on ignorance and prejudice should be a mental illness.

Is racism a mental illness.

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2012
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Artist
Response to Is racism a mental illness. 2017-03-17 15:11:18 Reply

Is racism due to ignorance?
Studying animal husbandry, eugenics seems to make a whole lot of sense.
Children are ignorant. They're normally not racist until they learn it.
It seems like an oversimplification to say "I don't like this, it has negative effects: It's ignorant."
But it's not just ignorant. Ignorance is morally innocent, but there's nothing innocent about racism. There's malice in it. The people who believe in it honestly are making a eugenic argument that certain people shouldn't be allowed to breed and thrive and integrate into the genome.
The problem is the assumption people are smart enough to manage their own genome without ending up like bulldogs: so limited in genetic diversity that there's not enough old healthy DNA in the species to balance out the congenital diseases caused by genetic mutation and drift and barely able to breed at all without medical intervention.
Not to put too fine a point on it, the main reason we are not currently ruled by pedigreed royalty is because they would always end up so inbred and deformed they would become unfit to rule and had to continually refresh their lines with peasant blood, rendering the whole concept of racial purity hilariously moot.


Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature