00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackfog105 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need help

428 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need help 2017-03-12 10:04:24

I'm still new to art and I haven't done a lot, mostly just sketches. I'd like to know if there is anything I could improve on and maybe some tips as well.

Need help

Figger Naggot

Response to Need help 2017-03-12 13:03:25

I can't quite tell with this picture.
For starters, you should ditch the writing paper. Normal paper for sketching might cheaper and brings better results. Use better lighting for your photos, or edit the image so it has better contrast, there's a lot of free software that can help you with that, even paint tool sai.
The skull is very well done, the rest is too abstract and flat to tell what's going on. So I can't really give solid advice on this one.
Keep uploading stuff, it looks promising.

Response to Need help 2017-03-12 16:27:18

At 3/12/17 01:03 PM, kehny wrote: I can't quite tell with this picture.
For starters, you should ditch the writing paper. Normal paper for sketching might cheaper and brings better results. Use better lighting for your photos, or edit the image so it has better contrast, there's a lot of free software that can help you with that, even paint tool sai.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
I have another one, this is much earlier though.

Need help

Figger Naggot

Response to Need help 2017-04-10 12:41:55 (edited 2017-04-10 12:42:54)

At 3/12/17 10:04 AM, TMinori wrote: I'm still new to art and I haven't done a lot, mostly just sketches. I'd like to know if there is anything I could improve on and maybe some tips as well.

A general tip I can give you is to just draw a lot. Practice makes perfect, right?
Also you need to focus on the things you want to learn and the things you are not so good at.
For example, I used to be really bad at drawing hands, so I just didn't draw them. I hid them behind the back of the character and so I never got better. And also a good thing to practice is anatomy, if you are drawing humans. Also using references is a good thing, and often flipping the image or looking at it from behind (so the light shines through) or looking at it in the mirror helps you to spot mistakes like art lean easier.

Response to Need help 2017-04-10 15:47:45

At 4/10/17 12:41 PM, Z-Art wrote: Also you need to focus on the things you want to learn and the things you are not so good at.

Thanks mang, do you have any tips for hair? Its the thing I struggle most with, mainly texturization and shading

Figger Naggot

Response to Need help 2017-04-10 18:26:56

At 4/10/17 03:47 PM, TMinori wrote:
At 4/10/17 12:41 PM, Z-Art wrote: Also you need to focus on the things you want to learn and the things you are not so good at.
Thanks mang, do you have any tips for hair? Its the thing I struggle most with, mainly texturization and shading

So as I said before, using references helps a lot.
Also dividing the whole mass of hair into different sections and strands and shading each part individually could might help. I use to first define the shape and volume and then draw all the strands and finally the texture. Make sure the texture follows the way the hair is falling and the light is coming from the same direction as it reflects on the different parts.

Response to Need help 2017-04-11 10:15:36

At 4/10/17 06:26 PM, Z-Art wrote:

I'll be sure to try that from now on, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it

Figger Naggot