00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your Opinion is Pointless

555 Views | 19 Replies

Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 15:56:51

If you've ever had an opinion, then you've spent time trying to prove it true. If this has ever occurred in your life, than you've divulged in one of the most pointless human acts that's ever existed, which everyone loves to claim is important. In fact, people can't walk outside anymore without being bombarded with people shouting at them, holding their opinion as gospel and damning anyone who disagrees with it.

People hold up traffic, break shit in the streets, and ruin their own happiness because their opinion didn't change their enemies minds when they were quiet. But the thing is, once someone has consumed the facts of a situation and made their mind, changing that opinion is almost impossible. Opinions might change over time, but that comes from years of conflicting emotions with their own thoughts, but most people are perfectly content with their own mindset, so they won't ever change. Do you believe that shouting at this man who has made his mind will change anything? It's pointless.

I guess the best justification you can make for opinions is to influence the people who haven't already formed one, but these people are usually children and idiots, and I don't know why you'd even want them associated with you. I'm not saying opinions aren't important, they're the basis of our society, I'd just stop investing so much time in doing something so pointless.

TLDR: Your opinion cannot be forced upon others, don't waste your time and enjoy life instead.

An opinion is like a fart. No one likes it but eventually it evaporates into nothing. Mike David

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 16:17:44

There comes an important time in your life when you realise that opinions do actually matter but that you've been looking at it the wrong way.

I don't care anymore about jumped up edgelords on the internet with their questionable beliefs and opinions. I do care if my loved one have those same opinions though. Opinions are so damn important when it comes to the people you want in your life, not about people who don't exist to you after you log out.

So I see what you're saying and online I agree. Expand your life outward though, and I think you'll agree that the opinions of your signficant other matters. Not stuff like whether they like a food you don't like but if my loved one turned out to hate all animals and not give a fuck about their welfare, thats not an opinion I can just accept them having and if their mind can't be changed, then they got to go. Opinions can matter.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 16:43:07

At 2/22/17 03:56 PM, AngryGrag wrote: TLDR: Your opinion cannot be forced upon others, don't waste your time and enjoy life instead.

-

BBS Signature

At 2/22/17 04:17 PM, Gagsy wrote: I don't care anymore about jumped up edgelords on the internet with their questionable beliefs and opinions. I do care if my loved one have those same opinions though. Opinions are so damn important when it comes to the people you want in your life, not about people who don't exist to you after you log out.

I'm not arguing that opinions aren't important or even to accept people with differing opinions, I'm saying that you shouldn't devote your life to the eradication of disagreement.

You can debate with loved ones if you're comfortable with them hating you, but most of this shit isn't debate; it's just shouting your opinion over and over desperate for the change half the world wants and the other half doesn't. Just wait, progress is natural in society, you hating something changes nothing.

An opinion is like a fart. No one likes it but eventually it evaporates into nothing. Mike David

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 16:58:14

At 2/22/17 03:56 PM, AngryGrag wrote: TLDR: Your opinion cannot be forced upon others, don't waste your time and enjoy life instead.

well that's just like your opinion man. You can't force it on me, you could be wrong. Fuck you, don't waste your time giving me your opinions and enjoy life instead.

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:00:56

My opinion > Your opinion

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:05:24

At 2/22/17 04:54 PM, AngryGrag wrote:
At 2/22/17 04:17 PM, Gagsy wrote: I don't care anymore about jumped up edgelords on the internet with their questionable beliefs and opinions. I do care if my loved one have those same opinions though. Opinions are so damn important when it comes to the people you want in your life, not about people who don't exist to you after you log out.
I'm not arguing that opinions aren't important or even to accept people with differing opinions, I'm saying that you shouldn't devote your life to the eradication of disagreement.

You can debate with loved ones if you're comfortable with them hating you, but most of this shit isn't debate; it's just shouting your opinion over and over desperate for the change half the world wants and the other half doesn't. Just wait, progress is natural in society, you hating something changes nothing.

It's not so much the matter of opinions don't mean anything and you shouldn't fight for it, the biggest problem at the moment is communication and the fact that no one bothers to try and teach their children decent persuasion skills as well as the ability to "debate" with a clam and level mind. Unfortunate considering that these same people are the ones who if you disagree with them scream and cry until they get their way, and the idiots who bother with them are letting them get dragged down with them in the process. One of the many reasons when I see these BLm or Sjw tards running around in my town I just look, listen and laugh at them, don't even bother with them because as said before, it's all childish screaming/whining with the absence of trying to decently explain what it is they protest, but yeah people need to learn that not everyone's going to agree with something you say, but again good luck trying to knock down a brickwall with a plastic hammer.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:07:55

At 2/22/17 04:54 PM, AngryGrag wrote:

I'll never forget that famous Martin Luther King speech "I have an opinion but its pointless really so who even cares lol".

Speaking of famous quotes, there is one that goes;

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything"

Progress is not natural. People had had to fight and debate hard to improve their human rights, and if they sat still then nothing would have changed.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:15:28

At 2/22/17 05:07 PM, Gagsy wrote: I'll never forget that famous Martin Luther King speech "I have an opinion but its pointless really so who even cares lol".

had had to fight and debate hard to improve their human rights, and if they sat still then nothing would have changed.

If you have the intelligence of Martin Luther King and have a brand new perspective then I'd love to hear it, the fact is you're a probably an average intelligence person who has average opinions, and 1000 people with an average opinion are still saying the same exact thing.

If you're going to say there is strength in numbers, numbers don't change people's perspective unless it's caused by fear.

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:17:34

At 2/22/17 05:05 PM, Kanon wrote: It's not so much the matter of opinions don't mean anything and you shouldn't fight for it, the biggest problem at the moment is communication and the fact that no one bothers to try and teach their children decent persuasion skills as well as the ability to "debate" with a clam and level mind.

I agree, debate would be fun if everyone was civil and it could potentially change a biased mind.

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:21:22

At 2/22/17 05:15 PM, AngryGrag wrote:
If you have the intelligence of Martin Luther King and have a brand new perspective then I'd love to hear it, the fact is you're a probably an average intelligence person who has average opinions, and 1000 people with an average opinion are still saying the same exact thing.

If you're going to say there is strength in numbers, numbers don't change people's perspective unless it's caused by fear.

Of course numbers can change peoples perspective. Whats more powerful, one or two people out of 100 telling you why something you never considered to be bad being bad for them, or the vast majority of that 100 all singing the same song. I think you would start to believe them based solely on the number of them complaining. At the very least I would hope that it would open your eyes to their plight, even if you yourself have no experience with their suffering.

Fear doesn't change perspective. Fear just makes people afraid to voice their own views.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:22:09

Okay. Got it

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:37:32

At 2/22/17 05:21 PM, Gagsy wrote: Of course numbers can change peoples perspective. Whats more powerful, one or two people out of 100 telling you why something you never considered to be bad being bad for them, or the vast majority of that 100 all singing the same song. I think you would start to believe them based solely on the number of them complaining. At the very least I would hope that it would open your eyes to their plight, even if you yourself have no experience with their suffering.

Of course that's what it is for your side, right? Your side is singing songs and protesting to change minds for the greater good. Your enemy is the one that causes fear when they protest, hundreds of them shout down victims and members of your righteous cause.

No, numbers don't matter if people are saying the same thing. Martin Luther King is remembered as a great and powerful man, his followers are remembered as the winners who followed him.

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 17:54:14

At 2/22/17 05:37 PM, AngryGrag wrote:
Of course that's what it is for your side, right? Your side is singing songs and protesting to change minds for the greater good. Your enemy is the one that causes fear when they protest, hundreds of them shout down victims and members of your righteous cause.

No, numbers don't matter if people are saying the same thing. Martin Luther King is remembered as a great and powerful man, his followers are remembered as the winners who followed him.

I don't recall having a side in this conversation. Unless listening to people who are affected negatively by something is called having a side? Just used MLK cause its so damn obvious. Try it another way then if you will;

There's a new tv show and you're not really interested based on what you've briefly seen of it. Then one friend comes to you and says "Dude its amazing, you have to watch". Still you're not sure, you trust your friend but it isn't enough. Then you meet up with more friends and those too also go on about the great new show you just have to watch. By now you are intrigued surely? You didn't think the show looked like much based on the trailers/actors/reviews/etc but here are your friends saying how good it is. Do you ignore their opinions or do you try to see what they see? Even though before talking to them you had no plans ever to see the show.

I still think your numbers thing makes no sense. Thats like saying that while the whole class is saying 2 + 2 = 4 which is boring and not new at all so why should you listen to them, when the lone kid at the back is saying 2+ 2 = 5 which is much more profound and new and different. Lets listen to him??

The 'winners who followed' Martin Luther King were sufferers of the kind of discrimination that should never have been allowed to happen. That kind of racism isn't about a difference of opinion, but just plainly about being wrong. MLK was the voice of their struggle sure but without those numbers of listeners who were ' just saying the same thing' nothing would have changed, cause MLK would have been giving his speech to a bunch of homeless guys only.

Numbers make things happen. Whatever the movement, left, right, up, down, numbers create.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-22 23:23:40

At 2/22/17 03:56 PM, AngryGrag wrote: Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself gro---

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-23 00:51:38

At 2/22/17 03:56 PM, AngryGrag wrote:

:.

TLDR: don't waste your time and enjoy life instead.

But what if I enjoy life by sharing my opinions with others ???

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-23 00:58:43

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-23 01:39:02

At 2/23/17 01:13 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I've changed my mind about things after learning more about them. I've also gone back and forth on a few things.

So have I. Not everybody is as steadfast as you think, OP, and almost nobody knows everything about whatever thing they've formed an opinion on. They simply know enough to know they're either for or against it, and that opinion could easily sway if they are in the presence of somebody who's either incredibly charismatic, or more knowledgable (normally both).

BBS Signature

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-23 06:32:34

Does convincing me prove that opinions can be changed, or that opinions cannot be changed?

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Your Opinion is Pointless 2017-02-23 08:50:36

I know my opinion is pointless, but that still won't stop me from having one.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature