00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

WannabePyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your Preferred Audio Copyright Use

1,289 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I was wondering what you Audio Artists choose when submitting your music on the Newgrounds Audio Portal and your reasoning behind it?

I know there's been recent turmoil in Geometry Dash using tracks blatantly and people submitting copyright music on here to use via the game, it seems that is being sorted now.

There's always a problem of how far you restrict your music so it is still easily available but also does not detract the listener from listening to your future or previous music or even downloading it or sharing it around, it depends on the quality of the track as well but in this day and age copyright and restrictions on usage does affect how widely accepted or shared around you are.

The common copyright license applied on here is the Creative Commons one, although with recent years it has changed a bit which allowed users to choose specific options, even disabling downloads or not allowing any usage in Newgrounds Animations without specific arrangement. The Audio Portal has always been a great source of easily accessible music to be used in Newgrounds Animations, and the proper API set up has allowed Musicians to benefit from ADs being displayed not only on the Audio Portal itself but through Animation Project Revenue Sharing streams.

I myself have began disabling downloads on my most recent audio submissions so people are incentivized to download my track off my Bandcamp, where of course they can do so for free buy putting by putting "£0" in the field, as it is pay what you want. Although I believe this is not as effective as most people just skim and listen to tracks and unless it catches their attention really well they do not even read the Author Description field.

I also choose " Please contact me if you would like to use this in a project. We can discuss the details." As it means potential prospectors can approach me via PM to ask for permission and a license can be granted. This encourages professionalism and a business like approach for me, even if it happens rarely. I believe it also disallows animators from blatantly using your music in an animation without including you in the Ad Revenue API.

It might seem restrictive and with the recent development with technology and frequent changes in copyright and common approach to music and how its value has been devalued with higher competition and quality of works being released. It's now easier than ever to acquire the right technology within minutes to start composing tracks.

So what is your approach to you publishing music on Newgrounds?

BBS Signature

Response to Your Preferred Audio Copyright Use 2017-03-01 18:53:32

how did i miss this thread... weird...

my preferred license is copyleft aka creative common public domain mark 1.0. however NG doesn't have it nor i believe they will ever add it. so the closest and most open CC license available on NG is Attribution 3.0. frankly, i don't really care about people not crediting me, which is outrageously blasphemous among NG musicians. think of me as a hillbilly commie who believes that all music or art should be open, free and fully sharable. but those are just my backward beliefs. ;)

most of the paid works i got are from people who had insisted to pay me. more than half of the time i get impression of people who surprised that i offered free of charge for such high quality work. if they insisted to pay, i'll let them choose their offered payment. im a like a Zen Buddhist monk, you give, i take, if you don't want to give, i won't ask.

don't get me wrong, i do however respect and support other artists and musicians' decision for paid works. i don't want to feed myself through music doesn't mean i want other people to follow. this is something i wanted to clarify to my fellow followers and friends for a long time. their decision to paid work is reasonable and great. while back on this forum, i made a thread about why paid work is important. that thread was directly referred to musicians on NG, and not about my preference or decision to free and open music.

Response to Your Preferred Audio Copyright Use 2017-03-04 18:31:54

At 3/1/17 06:53 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: how did i miss this thread... weird...

my preferred license is copyleft aka creative common public domain mark 1.0. however NG doesn't have it nor i believe they will ever add it. so the closest and most open CC license available on NG is Attribution 3.0. frankly, i don't really care about people not crediting me, which is outrageously blasphemous among NG musicians. think of me as a hillbilly commie who believes that all music or art should be open, free and fully sharable. but those are just my backward beliefs. ;)

most of the paid works i got are from people who had insisted to pay me. more than half of the time i get impression of people who surprised that i offered free of charge for such high quality work. if they insisted to pay, i'll let them choose their offered payment. im a like a Zen Buddhist monk, you give, i take, if you don't want to give, i won't ask.

don't get me wrong, i do however respect and support other artists and musicians' decision for paid works. i don't want to feed myself through music doesn't mean i want other people to follow. this is something i wanted to clarify to my fellow followers and friends for a long time. their decision to paid work is reasonable and great. while back on this forum, i made a thread about why paid work is important. that thread was directly referred to musicians on NG, and not about my preference or decision to free and open music.

I respect that license, it's not a very easy license to release music under, most want attribution and recognition and of course profits from their music at least in some way. This just completely lets go of all that. And I feel you deserve to make a good amount of money from your music, you work very hard and I like all your music that you do, you've progressed far since I found your music, or you found me back in 2010.

I never had much confidence in selling my music, I was reluctant to even make a bandcamp for many years, until I finally caved in, it doesn't to put it out there, link it passively and see if anything comes off it.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Preferred Audio Copyright Use 2017-03-06 08:00:58

In most cases, CC3.0: Share Alike for covers, or Non-Derivative Works for original stuff.
When there is a song that I cannot allow downloads on because they're gonna be used in a paid game or whatnot, then I will hit the All Rights Reserved button.

Response to Your Preferred Audio Copyright Use 2017-03-10 02:55:22

CC Attribution and Share alike. This ensures that i get credit and that the license is the same for whatever song you choose to remix.