00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Switching from Actionscript?

572 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-08 16:47:56

I've been using Actionscript for a couple of years now, first starting with AS2 and then AS3.

I've been developing a really big game for the past few months in Flash, which has been rather difficult since my library is filled with like, 800 symbols.

When I also publish my executable and open it, it runs below 25FPS, when it should be a smooth 60.
It pretty much just displays a foreground and a background, which contains one animated character. They both move at different speeds to give it that 3d parallex look.

Should I go learn a different language like Java or C#, or should I just stick with what I know?

Switching from Actionscript?

I'm not that good at signatures.

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-11 22:35:06

Consider Haxe+OpenFL, that's what I did a few years ago in a similar situation, and I'm still using it.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-11 23:16:30

as 4 lyfe

At 2/8/17 04:47 PM, Geel7989 wrote: I've been using Actionscript for a couple of years now, first starting with AS2 and then AS3.

I've been developing a really big game for the past few months in Flash, which has been rather difficult since my library is

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-12 09:55:32

At 2/8/17 04:47 PM, Geel7989 wrote: When I also publish my executable and open it, it runs below 25FPS, when it should be a smooth 60.
It pretty much just displays a foreground and a background, which contains one animated character. They both move at different speeds to give it that 3d parallex look.

It shouldn't be lagging like that if that's all you're doing. Sounds like poor code on your part. Switching languages wont help. Writing smarter code will.

...unless you're running a lot of visual effects like blur and stuff like that which lags even on more powerful machines. But I doubt that that is the case.

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-12 22:57:26

def sounds like poor code on your part. what you're doing should be fine to run via the flash runtime, provided you're keeping your code clean and efficient. you dont even need starling or anything. if you're using adobe animate (previously known as flash pro) then learn how to use FlashDevelop for less overhead and faster compiling. @MintPaw taught me about it years ago and i've never been happier with an IDE/Code editor. never used flash pro that much again after i learned how to do everything via code, including animating, lol.

If you do decide to switch languages though, C# is the way to go, even though Java is more popular, especially when it comes to getting a programming job. Java is tedious as fuck though, C# is honestly one of the top 3 languages imo, and it's VERY similar in syntax to AS3 (but way more powerful). a well known AS3 programmer who moved on from AS3 to C# (jackson dunstan, you may have heard of him somewhere before) even made a "C# for AS3 Programmers" type series. check it out here if you want. make sure you use visual studio community (its free) if you're on windows for C# development, theres nothing better (trust me i've looked).

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-13 14:07:11

At 2/12/17 10:57 PM, PsychoZombii wrote: def sounds like poor code on your part. what you're doing should be fine to run via the flash runtime, provided you're keeping your code clean and efficient. you dont even need starling or anything. if you're using adobe animate (previously known as flash pro) then learn how to use FlashDevelop for less overhead and faster compiling. @MintPaw taught me about it years ago and i've never been happier with an IDE/Code editor. never used flash pro that much again after i learned how to do everything via code, including animating, lol.

If you do decide to switch languages though, C# is the way to go, even though Java is more popular, especially when it comes to getting a programming job. Java is tedious as fuck though, C# is honestly one of the top 3 languages imo, and it's VERY similar in syntax to AS3 (but way more powerful). a well known AS3 programmer who moved on from AS3 to C# (jackson dunstan, you may have heard of him somewhere before) even made a "C# for AS3 Programmers" type series. check it out here if you want. make sure you use visual studio community (its free) if you're on windows for C# development, theres nothing better (trust me i've looked).

Thanks!

I've done a bit of experimenting with Visual Studio and C#, and I'm kinda getting the hang of it already.
And I have to admit, I do write my code very poorly.

I have this awful habit of writing code everywhere inside Flash on different frames rather than on just one, making it really messy and difficult to navigate.

I'll check that link out though, since it looks really helpful. :)

I'm not that good at signatures.

Response to Switching from Actionscript? 2017-02-20 02:39:41

At 2/13/17 02:07 PM, Geel7989 wrote: I have this awful habit of writing code everywhere inside Flash on different frames rather than on just one, making it really messy and difficult to navigate.

A week late, but read this. It's free, relatively short, and a little funny. Well worth a look.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature