00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara?

1,084 Views | 6 Replies

I'm sure he's sort of becoming the Che Guevara of the Muslim world, an icon, a symbol of where you get to rebel against your parents and make a statement, but it hasn't translated yet into people actually being willing to take up arms and put their lives at risk to go out and kill others and incur the possible threat of retaliation. ... We like to portray the radical Muslims as suicide bombers.

Well, Hamas has not been out there doing suicide bombings every day, every week. And it's not just a matter of not being able to find recruits. That's one of the problems that you face with suicide bombers. You only get to use them once. But once you use them, they sit back and look and [ask], "Is this an effective approach? Are we accomplishing what we want to accomplish?"

If all you're interested in doing is killing people without regards for the consequence, then that, in my view, would be the ultimate dangerous terrorist. We see even with Osama bin Laden, that's not how he's operating. He's not just wanting to kill for killing's sake. He wants to put pressure on the United States to get out of Saudi Arabia and to leave the Muslim world alone. And to the extent that the United States takes policy actions that either increase the perception that we're tarnishing Islam or decrease the perception that we're tarnishing Islam, that will have a heavy influence, in my view, on whether we see increased terrorist attacks or diminished terrorist attacks. ...

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 02:22:12

At 9/14/01 02:20 AM, Vj20 wrote: I'm sure he's sort of becoming the Che Guevara of the Muslim world, an icon, a symbol of where you get to rebel against your parents and make a statement, but it hasn't translated yet into people actually being willing to take up arms and put their lives at risk to go out and kill others and incur the possible threat of retaliation. ... We like to portray the radical Muslims as suicide bombers.

Well, Hamas has not been out there doing suicide bombings every day, every week. And it's not just a matter of not being able to find recruits. That's one of the problems that you face with suicide bombers. You only get to use them once. But once you use them, they sit back and look and [ask], "Is this an effective approach? Are we accomplishing what we want to accomplish?"

If all you're interested in doing is killing people without regards for the consequence, then that, in my view, would be the ultimate dangerous terrorist. We see even with Osama bin Laden, that's not how he's operating. He's not just wanting to kill for killing's sake. He wants to put pressure on the United States to get out of Saudi Arabia and to leave the Muslim world alone. And to the extent that the United States takes policy actions that either increase the perception that we're tarnishing Islam or decrease the perception that we're tarnishing Islam, that will have a heavy influence, in my view, on whether we see increased terrorist attacks or diminished terrorist attacks. ...

I got this from pbs' site.

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 02:26:39

I'd like to watch Earl Trample across Ben Ladin's shirveled up corpse

Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara?

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 02:32:16

At 9/14/01 02:26 AM, Morextremist wrote: I'd like to watch Earl Trample across Ben Ladin's shirveled up corpse

take revenge!!!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/frames.php?id=31501

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 02:44:36

At 9/14/01 02:32 AM, MAXIMINA wrote:
At 9/14/01 02:26 AM, Morextremist wrote: I'd like to watch Earl Trample across Ben Ladin's shirveled up corpse
take revenge!!!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/frames.php?id=31501

I hear about all these celebs wearing "Che" t-shirts to make some bold fashion statement.

It's been more than 40 years since revolutionary Che Guevara preached to the proletariat in Cuba, so why is he suddenly the fresh face? Bring It On's Jesse Bradford sports a Che tee off screen, while Rage Against the Machine's Brad Wilk often wears a Che shirt on stage. (Near replicas are sold for $28 at Urban Outfitters.) Johnny Depp fancies a Che necklace, while Michael Weatherly wore a Che shirt on Dark Angel. "Che is definitely sexy," says Nylon magazine's Kara Jesella. "And this is an election year, so people are talking politics-- but there's nothing cool about wearing a Gore or Bush T-shirt." How do Cubans feel about capitalists' red obsession? "I hope Americans are wearing these shirts because they respect Che," says Luis Fernandez of the Cuban Interest Section, a Washington, D.C.-based diplomatic organization, "and not just because of some merchandising strategy." What, style and substance?

--Megan Quitkin of EW.com

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 14:40:04

Will Bin Laden have a following 40-50 years from now? Will people wear his T-shirts in pride also?

We will probably grow old and tell our kids about this and some of the future generation will try to make some sort of statement by praising Bin Laden. This whole thing sounds unsettling.

*Sighs and shakes head*

Response to Bin Laden: Modern Day Che Guevara? 2001-09-14 14:50:13

Dictators and terrorists suck... (realizes he's wearing a "hail hitler t-shirt) read my sig if you have any questions.. I friggin' hate Bin Laden.. a friend of my family lost his leg in that explosion...