Be a Supporter!

Geometry Dash Drama & Updates

  • 43,836 Views
  • 196 Replies
Respond to this Topic
DelTale
DelTale
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-15 15:52:01 Reply

So in short, if the artist is highly demanded by many people in the GD community and verified as legit then RobTop may choose to add new artists as he sees fit. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the Reply.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

At 2/10/17 10:59 PM, GiaanRG2000 wrote: How do I know if I am a creator authorized by RobTop to use my songs in Geometry Dash?

I assume you just have to try adding a song to your level, and see if it works. If the whitelist is made public I also assume it'll be via GD, not NG. Even if it might be useful for GD players it's not the only audience after all, already a bit weird having a 'GD Users' message on the submission page...

At 2/10/17 10:00 PM, NeglectionOSU wrote: but now the way to spreading my music through Geometry Dash is much, much longer than it used to seem.

Glad you're accepting it, at least, unlike some others here. :) The road may be long, but when you reach that goal hopefully it'll be all the more worth it!! (Or better yet, more worthy goals pop up along the way.)

At 2/11/17 09:15 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: it seems sad to see old movies like ''scrotum the dog'', ''numa numa'', beebo the cat and many others gone.

Aw man, Numa Numa and Beebo are down too huh. :/ I noticed Scrotum , and 'Death Do Us Part' disappeared a while back too... real shame about all these classics. At least the first (Scrotum)'s back again with new, commissioned music. Hope most of them can come online again the same way.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-21 11:55:49 Reply

At 2/21/17 11:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Aw man, Numa Numa and Beebo are down too huh. :/ I noticed Scrotum , and 'Death Do Us Part' disappeared a while back too... real shame about all these classics. At least the first (Scrotum)'s back again with new, commissioned music. Hope most of them can come online again the same way.

Beebo is still here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/beebo

Also hoping we get all the Scrotum movies back on-line over time. I got the FLA files from Brian, just need to find the musicians who wants to take on re-scoring each one.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
PianoPlayer300
PianoPlayer300
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-23 00:16:47 Reply

If I stop uploading remakes can I get unbanned? People on my YouTube want to use my music in GD, even though I don't really play GD now...

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

At 2/21/17 11:55 AM, TomFulp wrote: Beebo is still here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/beebo

Ah, false alarm then. *relief*

Also hoping we get all the Scrotum movies back on-line over time. I got the FLA files from Brian, just need to find the musicians who wants to take on re-scoring each one.

And good to know those were all preserved too! :) Hope more authors still have their old source files, and are still around to do something with them...

All the people who get projects un-published for this reason btw, do they receive any note as to why the submission's down, so they know what to fix? I'm curious since a couple collabs I was in were taken down, but the message on the project pages are pretty anonymous. No info about a need to swap out music to fix things.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-23 08:23:12 Reply

At 2/23/17 12:16 AM, PianoPlayer300 wrote: If I stop uploading remakes can I get unbanned? People on my YouTube want to use my music in GD, even though I don't really play GD now...

Chances of getting unbanned sounds like something to speak to the mods about, though your music being available in GD at all would mean you need to be on their whitelist.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-23 09:09:44 Reply

At 2/23/17 08:22 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: All the people who get projects un-published for this reason btw, do they receive any note as to why the submission's down, so they know what to fix? I'm curious since a couple collabs I was in were taken down, but the message on the project pages are pretty anonymous. No info about a need to swap out music to fix things.

I've been inconsistent on this front. I emailed a lot of people when we did some largescale takedowns at the end of 2016 but I never finished emailing everyone. For ongoing removals I usually PM the author with info and a link to music resources but I haven't been 100% consistent with that either - usually in the case of really bad stuff that should have been blammed in the first place. Down the road we could try to automate more of that messaging but we've been trying to keep momentum on other features at the moment.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-23 10:59:57 Reply

At 2/23/17 09:09 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've been inconsistent on this front. I emailed a lot of people when we did some largescale takedowns at the end of 2016 but I never finished emailing everyone. For ongoing removals I usually PM the author with info and a link to music resources but I haven't been 100% consistent with that either - usually in the case of really bad stuff that should have been blammed in the first place. Down the road we could try to automate more of that messaging but we've been trying to keep momentum on other features at the moment.

Good to know! I suppose only the main author would be notified if it's a collaborative thing as well. Sounds fair. Would be interesting to know exactly how much stuff's been taken down, but maybe I don't really want to know...

How about just adding a line or two about this in the 'Project is Un-Published' box though? Seems that might be an easier way to inform (at least the more active) users what's going on; what they can do about it.

iSagittarius
iSagittarius
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-13 06:42:40 Reply

Yes! This is a solution! :)

MkalluxMusic
MkalluxMusic
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-17 14:43:50 Reply

Hey, I know this is probably a old thread and this is a small problem, but I noticed that when my name was MD-777 I was able to use my music ingame but then I changed my name and now my new songs are unusable... I know I set allow external api use to on....

also what does "title says it all: your not coming from newgrounds.com, are you" mean?


BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-18 08:07:39 Reply

At 3/17/17 02:43 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote: Hey, I know this is probably a old thread and this is a small problem, but I noticed that when my name was MD-777 I was able to use my music ingame but then I changed my name and now my new songs are unusable... I know I set allow external api use to on....

also what does "title says it all: your not coming from newgrounds.com, are you" mean?

I believe Geometry Dash is using usernames instead of unique user IDs. GD has access to the unique IDs so if it updates to make use of them, that would probably fix it. Nothing we can do on our end though.

I forget how to even explain the "you aren't coming from NG" error... It thinks you are trying to call a script but not from an actual page on NG. I need to refresh one what can cause that.


This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
iamwontolla
iamwontolla
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-18 20:04:48 Reply

Even with a big GTFO banner staring you in the face whenever you try to upload something, a few tracks are still slipping through the cracks. I'm guessing not everyone speaks English, so they see the banner with the Geometry Dash logo and assume it means "put all your favorite NCS tracks here so we can use them in GD!!! LOL XD" Maybe a big red strikethrough across the "Geometry Dash" would get the point across?
(nothing against GD, just an idea)

Skiddle
Skiddle
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-18 20:08:07 Reply

At 3/18/17 08:04 PM, iamwontolla wrote: I'm guessing not everyone speaks English, so they see the banner with the Geometry Dash logo and assume it means "put all your favorite NCS tracks here so we can use them in GD!!! LOL XD" Maybe a big red strikethrough across the "Geometry Dash" would get the point across?

Lol, you have a good point, Wontolla

XenoMorphGD
XenoMorphGD
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-24 09:58:43 Reply

At 2/4/17 11:39 AM, Doctor933brains wrote:
At 2/4/17 11:34 AM, XenoMorphGD wrote: Are you fuc*ing dumb? Why banning a game only for this sh*t?! Well, I NG has no reason to ban this game.
-
Would you feel better if I told you that the steam version of GD will be back? And that the ban itself is not permanent.

I know. It actually came back. But Really. I'm done with this shit. I don't want to talk about this. I don't care. Don't even reply me.

Doctor933brains
Doctor933brains
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2016
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-24 11:04:18 Reply

At 3/24/17 09:58 AM, XenoMorphGD wrote: I know. It actually came back. But Really. I'm done with this shit. I don't want to talk about this. I don't care. Don't even reply me.
Don't even reply me

­
­

Geometry Dash Drama & Updates


Welcome back to the land of the living. Here's what you've missed

BBS Signature
iamwontolla
iamwontolla
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician

Lots of people being reasonable about this, still a surprising amount of backlash. You know NG is for things other than Geometry Dash, right?

Really, I don't completely understand why some artists don't want their music being used in it, but at least respect what they want. There are people that use Newgrounds for reasons that have nothing to do with GD. Some of them have even been here longer than it has. Not that I'd expect people to understand "respect" when half the unscouted submissions are MDK tracks reuploaded without permission, or sometimes even credit.

I love the idea of new fans finding my music through a game (still don't think I made it on the whitelist though), so I should be the one complaining about the new rules, but here we are.

iamwontolla
iamwontolla
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-03-24 21:12:05 Reply

And by the way, if you're thinking about giving up on music because your songs might not be in one game that's popular right now, you're making music for the wrong goddamn reasons.