Respond to this Topic
SarcasmRabbit
SarcasmRabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-07 16:45:00 Reply

Is it not possible to put something in Geometry Dash that just shows the name of the song and who made it in the corner of the screen?

GDLenny375
GDLenny375
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-07 17:06:36 Reply

At 2/1/17 03:05 PM, NekoMika wrote: A lovely update~
mew mew

agreed 2.1 is awesome, my username is GDHyperTapper and u can chack out my awesome 2.1 stuff

Skiddle
Skiddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-07 17:08:17 Reply

At 2/7/17 05:06 PM, GDLenny375 wrote:
At 2/1/17 03:05 PM, NekoMika wrote: A lovely update~
mew mew
agreed 2.1 is awesome, my username is GDHyperTapper and u can chack out my awesome 2.1 stuff

Attention whore

Yellowdash34
Yellowdash34
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-07 21:08:01 Reply

This is a good update on Newground's part. 10/10.

The only way I can see this going wrong is Robtop going silent (like he does sometimes) and not approving new popular artists. Not only would he have a bunch of popular artists get mad at him and spread negative publicity the game; he would also have an angry community. Let's hope Robtop doesn't mess this up.

Again, good update on Newgrounds' part.

RobTop
RobTop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-08 07:50:43 Reply

At 2/7/17 09:08 PM, Yellowdash34 wrote: This is a good update on Newground's part. 10/10.

The only way I can see this going wrong is Robtop going silent (like he does sometimes) and not approving new popular artists. Not only would he have a bunch of popular artists get mad at him and spread negative publicity the game; he would also have an angry community. Let's hope Robtop doesn't mess this up.

New artists will be added eventually, but as a start pretty much no new artists will be added.

If whitelisting becomes too obvious, the problem will just shift from "How do I get scouted" to "How do I get whitelisted".

It's better if the majority of players accept the idea that "I cannot add my own music to the game". Then the ones that upload their music regardless of Geometry Dash can be selected once everything cools down.

Mr-ZoOpEr
Mr-ZoOpEr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-08 09:58:45 Reply

So i cant upload my own songs or what? Please be that i can upload my own ones

Mr-ZoOpEr
Mr-ZoOpEr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-08 10:01:29 Reply

At 2/8/17 09:58 AM, Mr-ZoOpEr wrote: So i cant upload my own songs or what? Please be that i can upload my own ones

Cuz i created a song to my level lol xD

JBeat2k9
JBeat2k9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-08 10:20:07 Reply

At 2/1/17 03:49 PM, gdalkali wrote: Being a GD player and song user myself I completely agree with this, and in fact, I think this should have been implemented sooner, but hey-ho. Good to see someone make a change to the whole "I'm going to pretend I'm this artist and upload my favourite dubstep song to Newgrounds" issue.

GD Alkali is responsible for most of the activity spikes on my audio portal, and his sharing of my music via his incredible levels within Geometry Dash has only ever helped people to find my music, and made my audience larger.

I cannot thank GD Alkali, Geometry Dash's creator OR Newgrounds and its audience enough for allowing me the experience of being able to hear something I made to an awesome level within a game, too. It's an amazing feeling, and if the level takes off, it means that more people get to hear your music, which is always a good thing.

For those wondering, I have never, and will never charge for my music. This exposure brings me immense joy. I'm not in this for the cash.

I think this ruling will make life easier for all involved except those willing to unlawfully upload and publish the music of those that DO wish to make a living from it. It also means that there's less chance of legal backlash from a p*ssed off artist or their publisher!

If there's a whitelist, I'd like to be on it as I'd like my music to be a free and open resource for everyone that wants music for their games, including Geometry Dash levels. If you wish to use any of my music for anything, don't ask, just do it. Everything on my audio portal that doesn't contain a copyrighted acapella/stem is free for you to use in whatever you wish, from a game to a school or work project.

SamandOwenplay
SamandOwenplay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-08 17:41:18 Reply

At 2/1/17 04:35 PM, ElYaiko wrote: Finally :)

How did I find u here?

Phronos
Phronos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-09 13:40:14 Reply

Heard about what happened from RF's YouTube video. Honestly I'm not surprised. Sucks that it had to happen though.

HiroSins
HiroSins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate

At 2/6/17 01:11 AM, YomToxic wrote:
At 2/5/17 03:32 PM, HiroSins wrote:
They tried to removed Geometry Dash on every app store.
The GD community attacked us first - by flooding the audio portal with stolen music in a way that would definitely cause severe problems with copyright violations. We merely responded in a way that would ease the burden on our people, AND get RobTop's attention.

And we did so by getting word out on what the GD community was doing - the end result being a temporary removal of Geometry Dash on every app store while RobTop worked on a solution as he should have when the first reports were sent to him.

Do you feel powerful? Do you feel in charge?

Your community attacked and endangered our site for your own selfish needs - it's only natural that we will retaliate with such force that they'll think Satan himself took a shit on them. Did your cancerous community ever think about RobTop's profit line or what would happen to innocent, actual artists on both newgrounds and youtube when you people were uploading stolen music to the portal?

No, you did not.

So, stop whining. The GD community brought this upon themselves.

I'm sorry, i didn't mean that it was ONLY newgrounds fault
trust me, i know its geometry dash's fault as well
i'm just saying its wrong to try to REMOVE the game because people are stealing music. That's why I said "It seems like we found a better solution" which is for musicians to decide whether it was allowed to be used in GD or not

Lord0fMud
Lord0fMud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-09 15:10:31 Reply

Geometry dash is getting on my nerves.
Why, you might ask?
Because everyone at my high school is oozing all over it like syrup on pancakes.
Honestly, when the game came out, everyone was playing it. And then everyone stopped playing it for a while, and now for some reason the game made some kind of a comeback, and people are getting so obsessed with the game that LITERALLY 3 kids have already gotten lunch detention for constantly playing the game in the middle of class. One kid even got ISS for punching a kid because he simply made the kid mess up and fail "The theory of Everything".
And you know what the only thing most of the kids at my school talked about?
GEOMETRY DASH.
Honestly, it's huge pain in the ass, and I hope that my friends get stuck on something else.

Yellowdash34
Yellowdash34
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-09 17:21:19 Reply

At 2/8/17 07:50 AM, RobTop wrote:
At 2/7/17 09:08 PM, Yellowdash34 wrote: This is a good update on Newground's part. 10/10.

New artists will be added eventually, but as a start pretty much no new artists will be added.

If whitelisting becomes too obvious, the problem will just shift from "How do I get scouted" to "How do I get whitelisted".

It's better if the majority of players accept the idea that "I cannot add my own music to the game". Then the ones that upload their music regardless of Geometry Dash can be selected once everything cools down.

SENPAI NOTICED ME!

Alright, serious mode: I understand why no new artists will be added at the start. That makes sense.

However, I don't think making whitelisting not obvious is possible without being annoyingly secret. If you were to whitelist some artists, then telling them they can't announce it, it would be a pain to find out who new, approved, artists are. It needs to be known who new artists are.

Plus, you can't make things clear to everyone. In three months people are gonna start asking how to get their music into the game.

On your final point, you said you would approve creators that make music regardless of Geometry Dash. However, I think you'll find that many creators love having their music in Geometry Dash. Sure, they will have accepted the idea that their music probably won't get approved, but there will always be that hope. That hope won't be the driving force of their music, but it'll still be there.

Thanks for replying, and sorry if I sounded rude in my first post. I didn't mean too.

(Also, while you're here, I'll just slide this in: You should do an AMA.)

asure
asure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 04:01:59 Reply

finally, so cool.

BBS Signature
KravenarGames
KravenarGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 04:11:28 Reply

Thanks for the update! :)

DerpedGamer
DerpedGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 14:14:41 Reply

I honestly think all this is coming from all the mobile users, since this was the first platform this game showed up on.

Sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't used NG in a while.

Colorflower
Colorflower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 21:47:41 Reply

There is a game named geometry Dash world, but the levels are really short.And there is a game named geometry Dash meltdown. It can't follow the geometry Dash. Geometry Dash is the best game ever in Robtop games!

Geometry Dash Drama & Updates

NeglectionOSU
NeglectionOSU
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 22:00:06 Reply

This is honestly a brilliant way to keep as many people as possible satisfied. I have one thing I'd like to address, though. I make music, but I started on YouTube and then moved on over here. I now see that the Newgrounds community, especially the audio community, cares much more about the music section of their site compared to YouTube's audience, and it's helped me as much as YouTube at this point, even though I've had Newgrounds for a fraction of the time I've had YouTube. Sadly, I DID initially join Newgrounds so I could spread my music through Geometry Dash, as if a song gets popular on Geometry Dash, it can really help the creator of said song. I'm glad you solved this huge problem, but now the way to spreading my music through Geometry Dash is much, much longer than it used to seem.
That's all. I just wanted to mention it. Congrats!

GiaanRG2000
GiaanRG2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-10 22:59:50 Reply

Hey Tom! Another question... it's just to check if I understood.
How do I know if I am a creator authorized by RobTop to use my songs in Geometry Dash?
Is there a special banner or something that says''HEY, YOU CAN MAKE A GD LEVEL WITH SONGS OF THIS DUDE'' or any other message?

Thank you.

DJ-Ewan
DJ-Ewan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-11 13:31:03 Reply

As a song user myself, I completely agree to this rule. People need to stop uploading whatever they feel like to Newgrounds that they didn't make.

However, I know that Robtop will add some others to the whitelist, but depending on how often he does it and who he chooses, this could shut off a large amount of new users coming on to create songs they made for Geometry Dash (including me rip).

FyreDrakon
FyreDrakon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-11 14:39:41 Reply

So as an existing artist who's already been scouted for the portal, can my songs be used in GD levels or not?

chris-the-stick2
chris-the-stick2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-11 21:15:07 Reply

well, this is very interesting.

first of all, i believe that geometry dash seems like a very cool game(i haven't played it yet), and just the fact that it got in steam means alot for its prestige/replayability...

with that being said, the fact that geometry dash got removed from steam due to music-artist's copmplaints is truly sad. i hope that this thing will be resolved in the near future.

when im reading this forum thread, im also thinking about this whole ''witch hunt'' where most of the old+new NG movies that had copyrighted music, got removed.
it makes me so sad, and i know that it's not your fault mr tom, but its the fault of those stupid music industries...
(i mean, the people in here are making/posting movies+games for the sake of entertainment/for the joy of creating art, NOT for making a profit... (at least one large percentage of this site).
they are only making movies/games for fun, and for the happiness that it gives to them/to their audiences to create art...
also, almost everyone in here credits the artist's songs/names in their movies, so its not like they are not mentioning the artists name/aka=giving them credit.

so yes, i understand why you did it, mr tom, and im (always) on your side, but damn, those music industry leaders are certainly paranoid/stupid.

it seems sad to see old movies like ''scrotum the dog'', ''numa numa'', beebo the cat and many others gone.
i hope that this will change in the future...
anyways, lets get geometry dash back on steam! i hope that everything will be solved soon!

GamerUnity
GamerUnity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-12 05:06:56 Reply

What RobTop can do is to add more info on a stage.

To add more details, to who created the stage, what music (as well as the artist that made the music) is used, so and so forth.

Let's say that you yourself has to add the name of the music artist you used, and you left it blank, you will be given the chance to edit or get reported by the players or the artist themselves.

dogo7
dogo7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-12 10:44:51 Reply

so is this why GD is off steam or somethign

-- HB68

GarhettKent
GarhettKent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-12 22:07:13 Reply

I think this is a great idea! Otherwise, the only solution I could see is a reporting system, as to where Music creators could report if the song is a copy of theirs and a Music Mod would go over it and if the Music Creator was correct, the other user would get a strike (yes, like youtube's system, just not automated by bots,) and 1 strike would last 1 month, 2 strikes 2 months, etc. and if you had a strike, you wouldn't be able to upload until the strike went away, more than 3 strikes, your account is terminated.

I'm sure your teams could improve this system far further than I could, but, I hope you implement something like this!
(If you already have, I tend not to pay attention online. xD)

TailsPika
TailsPika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer

Glad to hear all this issue got solved for the time, yet that won't fix all the damage already done sadly, but I hope this can bring good things to both GD and NG communities, and get back the game in Steam to gift to a friend hahah.

c:

RabbitsLair
RabbitsLair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-13 10:36:18 Reply

Nice! xD

BBS Signature
RightTime
RightTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Writer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-13 12:04:30 Reply

It's looks like we're getting some of those promised updates to the favorites list. I tried to reorder some of my new favorites earlier and they won't move. On the plus side, less crashes for large lists of favorites hopefully.

TheBroOfTheNinja
TheBroOfTheNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-14 20:39:28 Reply

And now it's GONE from Steam... WHY?

DelTale
DelTale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Geometry Dash Drama & Updates 2017-02-15 15:52:01 Reply

So in short, if the artist is highly demanded by many people in the GD community and verified as legit then RobTop may choose to add new artists as he sees fit. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the Reply.