00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need help with animating a sword

365 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello, this is my first post here on Newgrounds :)

I've begun animating a short little video with Madness Combat characters (not my image). Everything has gone fine so far, but now I'm stuck at a part where I want my character to draw a sword he has on his back. Here is a link to two screenshots I took so you can see more easier what I'm working with http://imgur.com/a/JxKWF I hid the head in the second pic so you can see more.

As you can see my character is about to draw the sword, but I can't figure out a good way to animate it. I made the body + the sword together into a symbol on the same layer (ee_body_side), so I don't have to manually put the sword on his back frame by frame. However now when I want him to draw the sword I need to separate the sword and the body from eachother, and then create a layer for his hand when it's behind his back, but the hand also needs to be in front the sword, and I also have to make a new layer just for the sword when it's not paired with the body. Then I have to bring back said hand & sword in front of the body before I can finally continue.

Sorry if you can't understand a word what I mean, but this is just so frustrating :( How do I go about doing this?

Response to Need help with animating a sword 2017-01-26 04:57:37

Hi EdLeArt,

Frame by frame is the best way to go around this there are no short cuts.

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with animating a sword 2017-01-26 05:51:43

At 1/26/17 04:57 AM, Wondermeow wrote: Hi EdLeArt,

Frame by frame is the best way to go around this there are no short cuts.

Agreed, take a look at the reference I posted. A smear frame might be the best thing to do to achieve a real movement like motion to it. But if you're animating madness combat, might be somewhat hard to pull off. Good luck to you.

Need help with animating a sword

Response to Need help with animating a sword 2017-01-26 06:45:06

It is gonna take time and that's why it's worth it totally. You will be happy after full animation :D