00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tuners and pitch pipes

1,250 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-14 16:18:23

What tuner or pitch pipe do y'all use? I understand nowadays we even have applications on cell phones to use as tuners, but if I'm honest I've been shunning cell phones from the start (I do have a flip phone, though) so I wouldn't know much anything about that.

I've been using a chromatic Snark for a couple years now and I love it! It's much easier to tune while other people are playing or tuning with their foot pedal tuners than with my regular electronic chromatic tuner that uses a mic. The down side is that it doesn't fit on my baglama or divan saz (google it, it doesn't fit on the peghead).

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-14 18:06:57

One of the many app ukulele tuners out there. Otherwise, I use my innate pitch (perfect/absolute pitch at my disposal).

There is one of those digital tuners lying around in my house but I hardly use it unless I am with multiple people and we all need to have a standard to go by.

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-17 14:52:53 (edited 2017-01-17 14:55:21)

Whichever clip-on tuner costs the least. Especially on the road, tuners get broken all the time, so cheap is good.

When I'm home, I've got a tuner built into my guitar amp I use. I don't need anything like a pitch pipe, I can always just strike a note on the keyboard.

At work, we just tune our drums by ear. Now our guitar and bass players, use Shure wireless packs for their instruments, and these actually have a built in tuner that mutes their instrument over the PA so we use those live.

Clip on tuners are great because they don't use mics. They literally pick up the vibrations in the neck, so You can turn your guitar all the way down and tune while others are playing without any issues. And again they're cheap... between $20-$70. A chromatic pedal tuner will usually start somewhere around $150.

BBS Signature

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-17 22:51:51

At 1/17/17 02:52 PM, Migashi wrote:
Now our guitar and bass players, use Shure wireless packs for their instruments, and these actually have a built in tuner that mutes their instrument over the PA so we use those live.

That's pretty sweet. Didn't know this existed.

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-20 14:04:05

At 1/18/17 09:02 AM, RabbitsLair wrote: N-Track Tuner

So this is an application that is only for certain instruments?

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-23 01:36:04

guitars are easy to tune perfectly just using the natural harmonics on each string. when i actually need to get to a specific tuning for recording and such i use the tuner on my copy of POD Farm 2.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Tuners and pitch pipes 2017-01-24 13:06:57

At 1/23/17 01:36 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: guitars are easy to tune perfectly just using the natural harmonics on each string. when i actually need to get to a specific tuning for recording and such i use the tuner on my copy of POD Farm 2.

It's also easy to tune just based on intonation between strings (or courses depending on your instrument) and there are lots of players who can do this, but many people (including me) do not have the pitch of the open notes perfectly memorized. In some places they don't use a perfect pitch, but play based on intonation alone. I've even seen some Western musicians do this (a real life example that happened to me: "Hey, you're out of tune," and he says, "No, I've got the intonation right," "but you aren't in GDAE, or GDAD. In fact you aren't in anything," and he says, "So?")

I play with other people a lot and do recording, so I don't have an excuse to not use my tuner.