Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer

So the purpose of this post is to explain to 500+ people why I am no longer following them, while also talking about a bug and what we're doing to fix it, with some improvements as well.

We've known for a long time that the favorites / follow system needs an overhaul. For example, if you follow thousands of people and visit your favorite people page, it loads in so many user icons that it triggers our DDOS protection and locks you out of the site for a moment. It needs to load them in gradually as you scroll, like your feed does.

It's also unwieldy to drag & drop items in a list of thousands of people just so you can sort a top six to be featured on your Favorites summary page.

Additionally, you have to go to that massive list if you want to unfollow someone; you can't just toggle the heart button like you can on Twitter. We had been planning to address this with the ongoing redesign.

Yesterday I was moderating the account of a music thief and I accidentally clicked the heart button instead of the moderate button. I didn't want to be following this user so I went to my favorites list to unfollow them.

When my favorites list loaded, I clicked the trashcan next to this user but then realized it didn't actually work because my action had been blocked by our DDOS protection, triggered by my massive favorites list.

I waited a few minutes, clicked the "Undo" button to bring the trashcan back, then clicked the trashcan again to officially unfollow the user. In doing so I unexpectedly unearthed an issue that could impact users with large lists, where one action interrupted the other and data was lost.

As a stopgap we've added a delay before you can toggle between follow / unfollow. I would still be careful though, especially if you follow thousands of people. We aren't aware of this happening to anyone else. Going to a back-up for this would be somewhat time-intensive for the team so I'm opting to just re-follow people as I see them.

We will be overhauling this system on the back-end so this simply can't happen in the future. We also intend to ditch the ability to sort your favorites list, since that has become unwieldy for a lot of people anyway.

In its place we intend to revisit an old idea where users can pin showcase boxes to their user page, name them whatever they want and show whatever people / content they want to showcase. This might come as an update to the playlists system, adding the ability to add users in addition to content and pin the visible list to your user page.

We also plan to finally let you toggle follow / unfollow by clicking the heart, rather than finding them on your massive list.

Just wanted to keep you in the loop on this surprise development! It's getting bumped in priority ahead of some other fun updates. Also sorry if you misread the topic and came here to see my favorite bugs.

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DeftonesFan665
DeftonesFan665
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Writer

I'm excited for this update! I always found it annoying to have to go to my favorite's page to unfollow someone, since I couldn't just click the heart on their page instead.

I'm glad you guys have finally got around to making an improvement on this function!

Also, I'd like to add that the DDOS protection thing that locks you out of the site for a moment is also present with medal pages. If I go through my pages or anyone else's at a usual pace, I eventually get that message that tells me to ease up and then I can't access the site for a minute or so.

It would be nice if you guys could make an improvement with that, too. I hate having to go slower than usual if I want to look through my medals without getting locked out for a minute.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

Sig by Homicidee.

BBS Signature
TheEnkian
TheEnkian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 13:24:48 Reply

At 1/5/17 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: So the purpose of this post is to explain to 500+ people why I am no longer following them, while also talking about a bug and what we're doing to fix it, with some improvements as well.

Phew, I'm not one of the 500+! In all seriousness, it's good to know that issues are always being continually ironed out. Thanks for the update, Tom.

Working on Enki Adventures, an action-adventure roguelike!
Enkian Games Website - For blog posts
Enkian Games Twitter For game updates
The Enkian Twitter - For personal tweets

Zanzlanz
Zanzlanz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer

Very nice, I'm glad you're addressing this!

As for sorting favorite people, I've never considered this as a useful feature, despite it being so flexible. Maybe giving everyone an option to sort those lists by "fan count" / "follow date" / "register date" would be more convenient, and lead to interesting ways to discover users.

At 1/5/17 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also sorry if you misread the topic and came here to see my favorite bugs.

Hahaa, you knew it!!

Hi, you! You're awesome, probably! <3 Have a great day!

AliceMako
AliceMako
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 14:56:47 Reply

As of this writing i have 2978 art favourites which makes actualy loading said page akin to putting my browser into a stranglehold and i'd best not be clicking anything or attempt to exit the tab as it will prompt the flood warning/slow down message from the site from which it typically doesn't recover, so yeah i'm familiar with this quirk.

It's not quite that bad yet when acessing for example my audio uploads but that too shows signs of taking just a touch longer then other pages to digest so perhaps that's due for a tweak as well.

Good luck conjuring up a solution.

BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 15:01:14 Reply

At 1/5/17 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also sorry if you misread the topic and came here to see my favorite bugs.

Well, now I'm curious! I could see you being a Praying Mantis kinda guy. Just the vibe I get.

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
RightTime
RightTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Writer

Glad you're addressing the first issue that I had experienced on a previous account where I followed thousands of people. It's sad that sorting favorites will be disabled though, as I like to sort the users I follow alphabetically to make it easier to find any single person. Perhaps in the future there might be a button that allows you to sort alphabetically with one click or favorites will automatically sort alphabetically? I would really appreciate that. Otherwise I guess I'll just save the page as an html file and sort it myself offsite.

Some Ideas to Lighten the Load when a Large Favorites list has to load:

1.) Get rid of images associated with people you follow on the Favorites page:

-I know it's nice, but it just means that there's more data that the website has to load. It really doesn't make that much of a difference either, except from an aesthetic point of view.

2.) Reduce the columns from 3 to 2.

-This will also reduce the amount of users that need to be loaded at any one time, though it would also make the page longer. I'm not sure whether or not that would be an overall improvement.

3.) Separate Favorite People List by Categories:

-Some people I follow mostly for movies, others for art, and others for games. If each was in a separate list it would reduce the overall length of any one list.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer

At 1/5/17 03:02 PM, RightTime wrote: Glad you're addressing the first issue that I had experienced on a previous account where I followed thousands of people. It's sad that sorting favorites will be disabled though, as I like to sort the users I follow alphabetically to make it easier to find any single person. Perhaps in the future there might be a button that allows you to sort alphabetically with one click or favorites will automatically sort alphabetically? I would really appreciate that. Otherwise I guess I'll just save the page as an html file and sort it myself offsite.

An alphabetical sort option is definitely a possibility when this gets overhauled.

Putting people in categories based on the content they make has come up once in a while over the years, it just gets messy with users who produce multiple types of content. For example @Deathink has great games, art AND movies so it's hard to put him in a box.

Have also considered stuff like not having thumbnails. For someone who wants to name search the list without having to load it all in first, I can definitely see the desire for that. Will have to see what we can do there.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer

At 1/5/17 02:48 PM, Zanzlanz wrote: As for sorting favorite people, I've never considered this as a useful feature, despite it being so flexible. Maybe giving everyone an option to sort those lists by "fan count" / "follow date" / "register date" would be more convenient, and lead to interesting ways to discover users.

Interesting side note, we never logged a time stamp with the follow data, although we already determined we'll be doing that in the overhaul. Right now each follow only logs the user-determined rank, with new entries defaulting to the bottom.

More recently new follows were added to the feed data... Maybe that could be used to pull time stamps for follows from the past year although might not be worth the trouble.

When we add time stamps, all the old follows will get filled in based on their existing rank, since for most users who haven't sorted their list, it's already chronological by default.

This will also allow us to do another thing we've always wanted to do - create a ranked list of users with the most follows from the past week / month / year. This list has been really static:

http://www.newgrounds.com/rankings/bookmarks

It's gonna be a lot more fun if it defaults to the past year and if we put weekly highlights up in more prominent places.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 15:19:33 Reply

At 1/5/17 03:01 PM, LDAF wrote:
Well, now I'm curious! I could see you being a Praying Mantis kinda guy. Just the vibe I get.

I tried to find a fun picture to post but they're all represented by licensing agencies. After I make my "skulls in sand" free stock photo site I'll have to make my "fun bugs" free stock photo site.

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 15:58:36 Reply

I am no longer loved by Tom :(

BBS Signature
StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 16:00:30 Reply

I'm glad the following thing is being resolved

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 16:09:45 Reply

At 1/5/17 03:58 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote: I am no longer loved by Tom :(

Re-loved!

I had been curating a nice follow list of musicians for my music feed, kinda bummed about that right now.

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 16:15:11 Reply

At 1/5/17 04:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/5/17 03:58 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote: I am no longer loved by Tom :(
Re-loved!

I had been curating a nice follow list of musicians for my music feed, kinda bummed about that right now.

Awww yeah! But that sucks about the music feed! No way to reset it to what it was or roll it back a few hours somehow to an archived list?

BBS Signature
FrozenFire
FrozenFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 16:41:36 Reply

You're still my favorite person Tom

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 16:49:03 Reply

At 1/5/17 04:15 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote: Awww yeah! But that sucks about the music feed! No way to reset it to what it was or roll it back a few hours somehow to an archived list?

Probably not worth the mess of digging into backups for, that's reserved for bigger issues.

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 18:35:00 Reply

Halelujiah! I'm finally glad to see this issue will be resolved hopefully. I have more favorite movies than I can count and I always hate having to get locked out

I have a penis

BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 21:19:04 Reply

What are your favorite bugs? Inquiring minds want to know. Now that you've mentioned it.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 21:30:32 Reply

At 1/5/17 03:19 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I tried to find a fun picture to post but they're all represented by licensing agencies. After I make my "skulls in sand" free stock photo site I'll have to make my "fun bugs" free stock photo site.

These were my favorite redesign bugs featuring a few fun pictures: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1293296

BBS Signature
JK-FlipFlop
JK-FlipFlop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician

I'm unfollowed by you. Oh, well, I remember you following me soon after I uploaded a trap instrumental, so I'll be sure to do another after the bug is fixed so that I grab your attention again. Maybe I'll do a full rap song instead...
And good work with the site. Best to fix the bugs before updating!

If you upload music you didn't make for Geometry Dash, you eat penis.

lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-05 22:34:05 Reply

I feel an easy solution would maybe be to have these favorites divided into several pages, like 10 15 20 or another more convenient number of items per page, instead of the infinite scrolling option.
Or would that entail an enormous amount of work? (I'm actually curious).

nicnaccreative
nicnaccreative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 01:29:31 Reply

OOOhhh, I thought you just didn't like my stuff anymore. Or maybe you don't.. idk

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

I thought this would be about that bug where you can only delete one Favorite at a time, and then have to refresh the page to delete another... but looks like that one's already fixed. Or maybe I just never waited long enough between actions, if there was an invisible limit there. Either way: glad to see it's sorted!

This will also allow us to do another thing we've always wanted to do - create a ranked list of users with the most follows from the past week / month / year. This list has been really static:

Definably looking forward to that! :D Hoping for similar recent recap ranking in the other categories too.

All changes mentioned sound great, though not sure about losing the ranking ability, I always liked to have that possibility, even if I haven't used it to its fullest potential... if it takes up resources, how about not saving the moves instantly, and adding in a 'Save' button instead? Pagination would be nice too. As for showing avatars: though I'd manage without, they do help you identify certain users quickly without needing to know their name. For a lot of people their avatar is like their trademark, so hope it'd be possible to keep that.

At 1/5/17 02:48 PM, Zanzlanz wrote: an option to sort those lists by "fan count" / "follow date" / "register date" would be more convenient, and lead to

Oh, this sounds even better than the regular ranking option! +1 for this. Also alphabetically.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 06:59:09 Reply

My favorite bug is the preying mantis!

Plebs
Plebs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Animator
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 08:43:27 Reply

Like I'm supposed to be believe that story Tom, you obviously kept a list on who didn't follow you back within certain period of time after you followed them first. That perfectly explains why the number of people you follow is almost identical to the number that follow you.

Consider the unfollow returned
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 08:45:35 Reply

Are you saying you the owner of newgrounds got blocked out of your own site!?! Did you take it up with management?

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 11:20:18 Reply

At 1/5/17 09:30 PM, Luwano wrote: These were my favorite redesign bugs featuring a few fun pictures: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1293296

lol I should have used one of those. I love that thread!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 11:21:22 Reply

At 1/5/17 09:19 PM, radiodark wrote: What are your favorite bugs? Inquiring minds want to know. Now that you've mentioned it.

I really liked pullbugs when I was a kid, I played with them. So I guess pillbugs. I like how they roll up into balls.

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-06 21:30:38 Reply

Speaking of favorites, can we pretty pls have a list of all favorites on an audio track? :>

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature
HlihorAlecsandra
HlihorAlecsandra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Favorites Bug & Related Updates 2017-01-07 01:29:15 Reply

At 1/6/17 06:59 AM, MindChamber wrote: My favorite bug is the preying mantis!

Mine too! But I like the most the cockchafe.