00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Driving Anxiety...

1,498 Views | 30 Replies

Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 12:32:42

...how to overcome it?

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 12:45:22

unicycle

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 12:45:32

At 1/3/17 12:32 PM, masheenH3ad wrote: ...how to overcome it?

Just get used to driving.

Eventually you'll get used to it and hopefully turn the anxiety into awareness.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 13:06:53

If you're new to driving then it's totally normal and mildly beneficial. If you're nervous, then you're more likely to be aware of your surroundings and more cautious. It will go away with time and you'll eventually get to the point where you can drive without even really thinking about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 13:09:46

driving lessons

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 13:46:10

At 1/3/17 01:06 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: you'll eventually get to the point where you can drive without even really thinking about it.

You don't really want to come to that state though.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 15:02:02 (edited 2017-01-03 15:02:57)

At 1/3/17 01:06 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote:
It will go away with time and you'll eventually get to the point where you can drive without even really thinking about it.

I am dying to get to that point. I'm driving a vehicle with manual gear system. I dread all the steep climbs. I imagine myself colliding with the vehicle behind.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 15:42:18

This is a tough one. I didn't get my license until I was almost 25.

First off, try practicing in an area with little to no traffic. For a "Co-pilot" Get someone calming. Your parent can be good. For me, I went with my grandmother who was pretty calm.

It took about 5 or 6 sessions to get used to light traffic. After that, work your way up to light town traffic.

Other tips
- Try not to listen to the radio when you get started, that way you can focus on the road
- Remember to breathe.
-If you get to a point where you become too startled to drive, let your co-pilot take over. This person shouldn't be shaming unless you do something deliberately stupid.

Good luck!

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 16:39:33

At 1/3/17 03:02 PM, masheenH3ad wrote: I am dying to get to that point. I'm driving a vehicle with manual gear system. I dread all the steep climbs. I imagine myself colliding with the vehicle behind.

Driving manual is more difficult, but in the long run you're doing yourself a huge favour. It's superior to automatic if you know what you're doing. If you live in a hilly area it can be a pain in the ass though.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 21:15:09

I'm learning how to drive now, I get tempted to slam my foot on the gas, but 15 is an early age to die.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 22:12:39

At 1/3/17 12:45 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
Just get used to driving.

Eventually you'll get used to it and hopefully turn the anxiety into awareness.

Most solid advice there is when it comes to most cases of anxiety. "The darkness never goes away, but it won't always be this heavy." <---- quote from the new movie Jackie.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 22:28:26

Just keep practicing, the more experience you get the more comfortable you will feel. When I first started driving I was very uncomfortable and frustrated, I think I even made a thread on here saying how I want to quit. But now as I've been driving forever I'm so comfortable behind the wheel I don't even have to think about it, I'm very relaxed and everything is natural.

Just don't get too cocky or relaxed, that's how I got in my accidents. And got tickets. Both can be a nightmare. Always keep your eyes on what's out in front of you and you'll be fine. Drive at a speed that's comfortable for you and fits the driving conditions. Driving really is extremely simple and only requires common sense, don't overthink it.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 23:41:41

Anybody here suffer from OCD? Makes driving fucking awful.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-03 23:46:46

I don't drive I am too scared.

Smile Java is here

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-04 01:24:37

I already know how to drive, but I'm in the same boat since I had a collision about 7 or 8 years ago.

Got too cocky.

I gotta get to working on that, but driving is too expensive where I live :/

You gotta just get out on the road and get used to it.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-04 12:58:33

Go straight into rush hour traffic and watch your anxiety quickly turn into unadulterated rage.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 10:37:00 (edited 2017-01-05 10:39:00)

Hello everyone! This is to give an update. just traveled 50 kilometers today! took the route with express ways and sky ways to avoid heavy traffic. However, no matter how I tried to avoid it, it's there. Whilst driving, some huge 16 wheeler trucks harassed me on the road. But maintained my composure and avoid being cocky. My vehicle is way to small for the huge truck to give me a way.

In the duration of the driving session, my engine died two times. This always occurs during slow situation (Gear #1). I think I made progress for the last time I managed to do six. I managed to get home in one piece. However, I felt so drained and tired. As a Spanish speaking man would say, "Estoy Cansado."

I wish time will pass quickly so that driving will feel very natural, stress-free, and enjoyable for me.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 12:17:09 (edited 2017-01-05 12:17:45)

At 1/5/17 10:37 AM, masheenH3ad wrote: Whilst driving, some huge 16 wheeler trucks harassed me on the road.

I am an extremely nervous person in general with those stupid anxiety disorders. I overcame my fear of driving after almost being pushed off the road into some rocks down bellow. Of course I'm in no way recommending this ( ^ _ ^ )

Just after I finished driving school and got my newbie license, a few weeks later I was driving my parents to visit my late grandfather's cousin when a huge truck decided to push me off the road. He might have been drunk or sleep deprived that he didn't notice (or just ignored) the line of vehicles on the oncoming traffic and decided to pass me when there was no place for him to finish his maneuver safely. I didn't even thought about what to do at that moment, just saw that the incoming traffic has started breaking pretty hard and the truck's trailer getting extremely near me, almost touching my right mirror. I started to get as close as possible to the right side of the road, got the side wheels of the car on the gravel. Then I suddenly had a realization that if I'd start hard breaking, the car might get thrown to either side due to one side of wheels being on asphalt while the other on gravel, so I started breaking as softly as I could without losing control of the car.

I got out of it unscratched, thankfully. It thought me that when the time comes, I can react pretty well so there's no point in being nervous
(У ^ _ ^)У

It also thought me that driving at legal speeds that are set for newbie drivers here will get you killed faster than driving at higher speeds like everyone else ( . _ , )

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 16:02:00

I think it took getting dumped by my high school girlfriend for me to take the first big step in overcoming it. I started driving a lot more afterwards, maybe out of spite or some self-preservation effort to not get dumped again in the future. Then I went off to college where I didn't drive much for a few years because I was living in downtown Philly with public transport and no car. When I finally did get a car, that meant driving it in the city which REALLY freaked me out but ultimately driving in the city got me to overcome most my issues. I'm really good at parallel parking now, too.

I still feel super cautious whenever I'm backing out of a parking spot in a crowded lot, though... I feel like there's a million vectors where someone or something could pop out and collide with me. I don't know how some people just fly out of their spots like lunatics without a care in the world.

I do wonder if I ever would have gotten a license or a car if there weren't girls who needed rides.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 16:44:38

Wait until autonomous cars are the norm, never drive again.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 19:31:36

Driving with maryjane and NO PASSENGERS does the trick for me; driving with other people in the car sometimes makes me paranoid and lose focus esp. when they want to be the DJ and put on shitty non driving music

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-05 23:57:44

I do wonder if I ever would have gotten a license or a car if there weren't girls who needed rides.

It is a plus for sure... My current girlfriend (and hopefully one day wife) lives all the way in Allentown. Driving is crucial.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-06 01:40:02

stop being 16

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-06 03:48:29

Pretend your playing GTA and just hit everything

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-06 16:13:32

Driving anxiety is very difficult, I suggest you take a different course that involves driving.

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-06 22:28:31 (edited 2017-01-06 22:41:26)

Don't be a pussy.

I've been in all sorts of vehicles like semi trucks,
stakebeds, vans and motor homes.

The people who drove me around weren't ever
anxious about driving. That made me a good driver
as soon as I hit the road. Make some friends who drive trucks
to cure your anxiety.

tl;dr refer to the first sentence of this post.

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-01-07 17:24:34

try to calm down, and don't think about anything 'insecure'

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-05-19 09:04:44 (edited 2017-05-19 09:05:31)

Hello everyone! It's been three months and a half since I started driving. I think my driving anxiety has been greatly diminished. And also, I learned a lot of things.

The cause of my anxiety has been reduced because I learned how to do them properly. i.e. Hand break, hanging technique, learning how the drivers drive here.

I feel that there are so much to learn. Everyday it's just getting better. If this continue, I might really enjoy driving and eventually love it!

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-05-20 17:23:28

I never had any sort of driving anxiety until I started driving for my sister.
That bitch gets me scared to even cross the road.

Response to Driving Anxiety... 2017-05-21 04:11:29 (edited 2017-05-21 04:12:53)

depends of the type of anxiety
but a simple thing to do is just humiliate your self and do things that shame you(with people you dont know/will not see)
after that you will be confident in most situations

edit*oh was driving anxiety
dont know much
just do it alot and that all