Respond to this Topic
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Programmer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:14:29 Reply

At 1/2/17 07:10 PM, TomFulp wrote: It is!

that will be yoinked in a week and a half when I get my next paycheck.

KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:15:35 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

Happy new year! Sorry to hear about Pico day that would have been fun to attend and pretty easy since I'm in Manayunk, not too far away :p

Maybe next year!

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:18:29 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

As disappointed as I am, I can also relate to how much time and energy goes into organizing and planning major NG events. I'm lucky enough to have experienced it from both the planner's side and the attendee's side and it's far easier being the person that just books the trip and goes off. A lot of people don't get that when you oversee a large crowd, you are responsible for each and every person in that crowd. Their fuck ups are also your fuck ups. It takes a certain amount of courage to take on such a high level of responsibility and make sure that everyone is okay.

The years I hosted the NYC meets was at a time when the demand was much higher than it is now. You've been to them and the first year was also our biggest turnout year with more than 30 people showing up. It's a hell of a lot, but even that has been dwarfed by Pico Day attendance numbers.

I suggest taking notes and using this thread to see how many people are bummed out about Pico Day not happening. If enough people still want it to happen, have someone take the pressure off you. Someone you personally trust should take charge of event planning and the buck would stop with them, not you, in case anything happens. They can choose to have the crowd at any venue they want outside the office. Basically, it would be a Philly Meet with a Pico Day label slapped on it, if the whole thing gets taken out of Glenside and into Philly.

I also kinda wonder if a physical party creates a divide between the people who can come and those who can't. For example on Twitter I see people who seem to attend every single indie game festival and it makes me feel like I'm not part of the scene. Public events are a nice thing to aspire to attending but I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't part of the NG scene because they don't have the means or the time to make it to an event. Let 2017 be the year where we all party and celebrate right here on the web. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a good time and make great friends!

My experience is that public events have been far more positive than negative. They create opportunities for people to meet those they idolize. At them, we've had very few incidents, but those that we did have were all alcohol-fueled. I don't want to name any names (particularly those associated with the NYC meets) because I'm sure they'd still be embarrassed years later. Drinking-related incidents, however, comes with the territory. Usually those who can't come to Pico Day or other big meets are younger teenagers and kids that live far away, and unemployed or underemployed adults. That shouldn't be too surprising, although it sucks if you fall into any of those categories. It also sucks for those who couldn't make it last year, almost definitely can this year only to find out oops, there will be nothing going on this year.

I say think about this one for a bit.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.
NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature
Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:29:27 (edited 2017-01-02 19:33:58) Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

A happy new year to you too!

@Carrion is making a new Pixel Day site skin as well.

Awesome, I love his work!

In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

Oh I see, that's a shame. I really had my mind set on coming this year but I can see why 2016 must have been rough. I really hope you're doing okay.

I'm also expecting to see a big rise in the quality and output of HTML5 games this year, which is another great opportunity for musicians and sound designers here on NG to get involved. Devs - be sure to check out newgrounds.io for our new HTML5-friendly API!

Cool, I don't think I've come across this before. Will it eventually be compatible with Gamemaker too?

I hope everyone had a happy holiday and is ready to conquer whatever challenges await in 2017. Here at NG our first challenge will be Q1 ad revenue - which totally destroyed us last year. We're coming in stronger this year with a record 1,645 active supporters and we intend to make that number grow much faster.

That is a great goal! I have yet to think my resolutions through, really. I have a couple of short-term goals that are not worth mentioning... Hmm, maybe I'll click some ads while I think this through, heh. Last year youtube harmed itself a lot with all the shitty changes. It would be nice to see animation flourish on Newgrounds in its stead.

BBS Signature
SuperPhil64
SuperPhil64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 20:23:30 Reply

Sad i won't get to take the trip to Philly this year but under the recent circumstances I totally understand.
Might try to grab a handful of friends and co-workers and have a drunken evening of Newgrounds watching of sorts at home!

Here's to a great 2017 for Newgrounds! Hope things will go much smoother this year. Thanks Tom for all your hard work keeping this place great even through tough times!

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Gamer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 20:32:19 Reply

Okay, I'm fine with not having a Pico Day this year, but you have to promise me that we'll play Samurai Shodown in 2018, @TomFulp.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 21:10:19 Reply

I'm super duper bummed that there won't be a Pico Day bash IRL this year but I totally understand you need a break from it @tomfulp Thank you again for hosting some really nice parties that have always felt inclusive and safe for artists and fans alike to mingle! I always go on a following spree right after Pico Day after meeting so many new people from NG!

I would really like to see the community start doing meetups again regularly. I would love to see more low key get togethers that don't require extensive planning and parties - just get togethers to see some cool peeps and collaborate on projects in meat space.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/2/2017] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 21:33:07 Reply

Hey Tom, I don't know if there are any supporter PMs/messages that go out, but I don't have a PayPal account so I can't do the monthly recurring thing on my card. It would be nice to have some sort of PM that would tell me when my supporter status would expire each month so I could get on that.

I have a couple more weeks from 2016 but I'm actually renewing early now since it's on my mind, otherwise I'd forget.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 22:08:50 Reply

At 1/2/17 07:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/2/17 02:44 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:
At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've been trying to minimize big trips to keep focus on staying healthy ...
Are you not doing well lately? Or is this just general precaution when traveling?
In general I work best when I keep a consistent routine going - healthy eating, EARLY morning exercise, caught up with site issues and making continued progress on long-term projects. Travel and events derail that. I've been especially overwhelmed by the music licensing issues we've been having and breaking routine makes me worse off mentally.

Yikes, I can't imagine being in your seat with all the site issues. But you know what - it shows how much you care for the site after all these years, and people like myself appreciate it immensely, especially since I believe in NG, too. But as you said, make sure you also take care of yourself on top of it.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
tehslaphappy
tehslaphappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 22:38:06 Reply

damn, rip pico day. glad i got to meet everyone i could last year. last year's was my first (maybe last???) pico day and i loved being there with all sorts of people that i never thought i'd have the chance to meet up with and seeing some the fantastic folks that made some of my favorite animations. attending pico day last year definitely left a lasting impression on me and i have some memories that are gonna last a long time. too bad i wont be able to give anyone any wedgies at pico day this year.

as someone who only been to a meet up once and always seen IRL events from the outside in, there's a certain wall there sure. i used to always be in the chatrooms and threads watching everyone get together and just think "man i wish i was there, they look like their having so much fun" but never really left a bad taste with me tbh. i've always felt apart of the scene, even when stickam was a thing and you livestreamed the event. but das jus me.

hopefully next year there'll be another one, but in the meantime hope everything pans out for the better yung toms.

SillyBeans
SillyBeans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 23:14:14 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

It's alright, there will always be another time, glad to see you're keeping your priorities in order which I respect. Maybe having an online event though would be great.

Hello I'm draw art and art acessories

BBS Signature
TheOverGhoul
TheOverGhoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 00:51:37 Reply

Happy new year!

Pleb in the morning, Monster at night.

JustAPunnyGuy
JustAPunnyGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 05:24:43 Reply

Let's hope 2017 will be better

StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 07:31:16 Reply

Pixel day? That sounds awesome

Wishyy
Wishyy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 07:55:29 Reply

I think I will use the Audio portal instead of the copyright stuff I got now.
Thanks Tom Happy New Year.

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 09:20:23 Reply

So, no Pico Day office party, but are we still going to celebrate Pico Day?

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 09:57:22 Reply

At 1/3/17 09:20 AM, deathink wrote: So, no Pico Day office party, but are we still going to celebrate Pico Day?

I feel weird about the original NG characters getting older and older but I think we should still go for it - is everyone here pumped for it? It could be Sunday, April 30th like the original date. :P

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 10:04:34 (edited 2017-01-03 10:12:54) Reply

At 1/3/17 09:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/3/17 09:20 AM, deathink wrote: So, no Pico Day office party, but are we still going to celebrate Pico Day?
I feel weird about the original NG characters getting older and older but I think we should still go for it - is everyone here pumped for it? It could be Sunday, April 30th like the original date. :P

Heck yeah bro, I'm celebrating anyway, I just wanted to know if I was going to be celebrating officially or unofficial hahah

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
FOST3R
FOST3R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 10:06:08 Reply

At 1/3/17 09:57 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I think it'd be great, and honestly these meets (online or other) are great morale boosters, even for those of us who can't go or have never been.

It makes this feel more like a community of people rather than just an online entity.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 11:23:07 Reply

I'll prob still show up to pico day to watch the screening of the Alfer movie and drink bourbon.

I totally understand the travel derailing focus mindset tho. I think physical events are great but also incredibly draining. I remember when i was in my heavy meet-up days, i did feel proud to bring groups of creative people together that may not have otherwise, but at the same time, i put my own creative aspirations aside to plan and attend those things so it was kind of a sacrifice. Which i dont regret, but its one that is definately there.

That said, I may throw a London meet later this year, itll be the 10th anniversary of it. Have a few other trips planned, not so much as meets but just random places i like to pop up. Maybe i'll be more vocal about them. Not so much as to make an event out of it, but to be a casual hey come have a beer type of thing.

Also happy new year, workin on something with the pesto guy. pretty happy with it so far.

Also, first post.

None

Rarykos
Rarykos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Art Lover
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 11:29:47 Reply

Pumped up for 2017!

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 11:43:29 (edited 2017-01-03 11:44:48) Reply

At 1/2/17 10:38 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: i used to always be in the chatrooms and threads watching everyone get together and just think "man i wish i was there, they look like their having so much fun" but never really left a bad taste with me tbh.

Same here. Attending the chat isn't quite like being there in real life but it's still really fun to watch and talk with fellow newgrounders! Now as for the meetups that are not being streamed, it's kind of painful to look at how much fun people are having in the pictures haha.

At 1/3/17 11:23 AM, Luis wrote: That said, I may throw a London meet later this year, itll be the 10th anniversary of it. Have a few other trips planned, not so much as meets but just random places i like to pop up. Maybe i'll be more vocal about them. Not so much as to make an event out of it, but to be a casual hey come have a beer type of thing.

Awesome, looks like I might be going to London this year instead. Hit me up!

Also, first post.

Second.

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 11:47:42 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:20 PM, TheDyingSun wrote: Wooh!
2017 will be a blast!
Happy New Year Tom!

Tru dat..

What about streaming?.. kinda like that weekend roundup we used to do.. or is streaming setup I pain?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 11:50:10 Reply

At 1/3/17 11:47 AM, MindChamber wrote: What about streaming?.. kinda like that weekend roundup we used to do.. or is streaming setup I pain?

I might attempt some streaming this year.

BBS Signature
FIL1994
FIL1994
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 14:23:29 Reply

New HTML5-friendly API! That's great.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 16:53:11 Reply

At 1/3/17 11:43 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 1/3/17 11:23 AM, Luis wrote: That said, I may throw a London meet later this year, itll be the 10th anniversary of it. Have a few other trips planned, not so much as meets but just random places i like to pop up. Maybe i'll be more vocal about them. Not so much as to make an event out of it, but to be a casual hey come have a beer type of thing.
Awesome, looks like I might be going to London this year instead. Hit me up!

I haven't totally committed to it yet. I've been nervous of pre-planning trips outside of the US incase the new prez does something retarded, which doesnt seem all that unlikely....

None

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 16:54:35 Reply

Sad to see Pico Day go, but I definitely understand.
Will probably still make a trip to Philly at some point this year to see Swain, Luis, and the rest of the crew.
Excited for more of your console game!

BBS Signature
DoubleDenial
DoubleDenial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 17:03:34 (edited 2017-01-03 17:05:11) Reply

My 2017 opening thoughts are that I have to finish my new movie to add that scene where the zombie mutilates everyone in an elevator to say the least. Not revealing the specific details, but it'll be cooler than that.

Edit : I really need to work on stuff for Pixel Day.

I have absolutely nothing to show.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-03 17:10:17 Reply

At 1/3/17 04:54 PM, Afro-Ninja wrote: Sad to see Pico Day go, but I definitely understand.
Will probably still make a trip to Philly at some point this year to see Swain, Luis, and the rest of the crew.
Excited for more of your console game!

We'll need to hit up Han Dynasty when you come.

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-04 01:59:12 Reply

Happy new Year! Looking forward to all the 2017 shenanigans!

#BringBackBeardFulp

BBS Signature