TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

Happy New Year!

Saturday, January 21st is Pixel Day and it would be awesome to see lots of people participate with pixel art, games, animation and chiptunes. Shout out to @RealFaction for coming up with this holiday, now in its second year.

January 20-22nd is also the Global Game Jam. If you live near Virginia Commonwealth University, I'll be giving a GGJ opening keynote there on Friday the 20th. Anyone is welcome to come to that location and jam out a game! Under 18 must be with parent or guardian. This also means I'll be in VA during Pixel Day but I'll have a laptop and @liljim on standby to help feature stuff. @Carrion is making a new Pixel Day site skin as well.

March 2-5th is the GLAS Animation Festival which I highly recommend to anyone who can get to Berkeley, CA. This is the festival's 2nd year and NG is once again a sponsor, although I'm not sure yet if I'll be there. I've been trying to minimize big trips to keep focus on staying healthy and finishing big projects.

In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

I also kinda wonder if a physical party creates a divide between the people who can come and those who can't. For example on Twitter I see people who seem to attend every single indie game festival and it makes me feel like I'm not part of the scene. Public events are a nice thing to aspire to attending but I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't part of the NG scene because they don't have the means or the time to make it to an event. Let 2017 be the year where we all party and celebrate right here on the web. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a good time and make great friends!

See I can find a silver lining for anything. I also want this to be the year that animators collaborate a lot more with musicians from the Audio Portal. If you can't find what you need there we've made this page with additional resources. Just NEVER use something by a band you heard on the radio and avoid music from games and TV as well. When you use music without permission, you never truly have rights over your work and you're denying an opportunity to the great musicians here on Newgrounds. Make friends with some musicians this year!

I'm also expecting to see a big rise in the quality and output of HTML5 games this year, which is another great opportunity for musicians and sound designers here on NG to get involved. Devs - be sure to check out newgrounds.io for our new HTML5-friendly API!

I hope everyone had a happy holiday and is ready to conquer whatever challenges await in 2017. Here at NG our first challenge will be Q1 ad revenue - which totally destroyed us last year. We're coming in stronger this year with a record 1,645 active supporters and we intend to make that number grow much faster. If you aren't already a supporter, check it out and please consider! It's just $2.99 per month or $25 for the year, while the potential for NG is limitless.

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TheDyingSun
TheDyingSun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 12:20:10 Reply

Wooh!
2017 will be a blast!
Happy New Year Tom!

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 12:37:20 Reply

Here's to making more audio this year (hopefully more collabs) and writing for more games and possibly venturing more into voice acting.~

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Filmmaker
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 12:40:03 Reply

Woo, new year, new opportunities!

I'm sorry that there's probably not going to be a Pico Day celebration IRL this year, and I'm sorry you're feeling the stress, Tom, but that doesn't mean we can't do something amazing this year! I know I'm going to make something amazing to put in the portal.

I feel like Newgrounds is and always should be a bastion for artists, animators, musicians and the like to be able to converse with their peers and collaborate to create amazing things, and things like distance shouldn't take away from that.

Here's to a great year, and hopefully more amazing work and relationships along the way!

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Movie Buff
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 12:50:58 Reply

Hoping you get some time to really de-stress and recover, Tom. We could all use a good year.

Let's make 2017 the best year for NG so far, but the worst one yet to come. We all know it can be.

BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 12:59:12 Reply

Love ya Tom, stay strong and keep hope rolling in 2017! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. <3

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:00:17 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:59 PM, PestoForce wrote: Love ya Tom, stay strong and keep hope rolling in 2017! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. <3

You can do it, you've got a lot of people in your corner!

ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:03:46 Reply

I'm definitely looking forward to more collaboration with animators and game designers alike.

I think teamwork is an awesome, often downplayed side of creation and it welcomes a wealth of possibilities to everyone with an open mind. I hope 2017 will be the year where interdisciplinary collabs can become more of a reality.

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:36:55 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

I also kinda wonder if a physical party creates a divide between the people who can come and those who can't. For example on Twitter I see people who seem to attend every single indie game festival and it makes me feel like I'm not part of the scene. Public events are a nice thing to aspire to attending but I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't part of the NG scene because they don't have the means or the time to make it to an event. Let 2017 be the year where we all party and celebrate right here on the web. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a good time and make great friends!

Sad for those who wanted to attend, but of course your health and the financial health of NG are more important.

To me the physical party never created a feeling of being divided, although I never was and probably never will be able to attend. Most users shared a lot of info on social media, photos, storys and so on. It always seemed like a lot of fun and very creative from an outside view.

BBS Signature
mariomadness2004
mariomadness2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:40:12 Reply

Happy new year,
I see you have big program to do, but,, You'' can also make trophy for best movies in the year(like that something).

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:45:07 (edited 2017-01-02 13:46:25) Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

@TomFulp Happy New Year!

Saturday, January 21st is Pixel Day and it would be awesome to see lots of people participate with pixel art, games, animation and chiptunes. Shout out to @RealFaction for coming up with this holiday, now in its second year. I'll be in VA during Pixel Day but I'll have a laptop and @liljim on standby to help feature stuff. @Carrion is making a new Pixel Day site skin as well.

Oh cool! And thanks! Does that mean he's judging the competition with me this year? Or are you still game for that? I figure you could always wait till you come back for that. Sounds awesome, if anyone gets video footage of the keynote, I wanna see it. Grats!

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( That is a bummer. But at least you're doing the right thing, you know how to focus on the priorities. I wonder if someone else will host something for Pico Day. Would be interesting. Maybe a NG toons marathon stream? I miss Philly, and you guys. I know stress and anxiety, if you ever need to talk, shoot me a message brotha.

I like the rest of the stuff said too, good stuff. I've got big plans this year for Newgrounds. We've got Pixel Day, I'm organizing the NGADM soon, another AIM contest, my audio drama series "Venturescape" which will require a lot of people to collab with like voice actors and musicians, and The Underground Collective Vol. 2 album with @ForgottenDawn to celebrate unity and music in the audio portal with many musicians.

This could potentially be bigger than last year, considering I'll be taking more on than last year, including the music projects I am planning this year besides all of that. Happy 2017 to you and everyone else! :)

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Gamer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 13:50:58 Reply

Can't wait to see how the site grows this year. Also, a site skin by Carrion? Absolutely can't wait!!

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 14:44:09 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've been trying to minimize big trips to keep focus on staying healthy ...

Are you not doing well lately? Or is this just general precaution when traveling?

We can come up with an alternative to celebrate it besides the usual. Another contest on top of it, perhaps? Or another type of event.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
TheDyingSun
TheDyingSun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 14:50:23 Reply

At 1/2/17 02:44 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: We can come up with an alternative to celebrate it besides the usual. Another contest on top of it, perhaps? Or another type of event.

There has been a Livestream one year, maybe something similar to that?

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 14:54:38 Reply

At 1/2/17 02:50 PM, TheDyingSun wrote:
At 1/2/17 02:44 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: We can come up with an alternative to celebrate it besides the usual. Another contest on top of it, perhaps? Or another type of event.

Sure, but that was for the party which won't be happening. People could come up with something else, but I don't know what

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
TheDyingSun
TheDyingSun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 15:18:15 Reply

At 1/2/17 02:54 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:
Sure, but that was for the party which won't be happening. People could come up with something else, but I don't know what

It guess it could be more community based, with several livestreams that could be for creators from different portals. It could work, but the thing is deciding how the interactions work between the people running the stream, who joins the livesteam, and just the general chat.

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 15:18:39 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Yes it does, especially now that there doesn't seem to be any meet ups anywhere else at all. At least back in the day there was a way too meet people in your own country, the London meets were one of my favourite parts of this site.

Yare Yare Daze...

IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 15:20:47 Reply

At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: In related news, we aren't planning to host a Pico Day party this year, which is a big bummer because lots of amazing people have been planning to attend. The Pico Day party is legendary but consumes a lot of time and energy and I've succumbed to stress and anxiety this year. There is a lot of work to get done and the celebrating will have to wait.

AHHHHHHH Thats a huge bummer! Was really looking forward to this upcoming year, but I understand that it takes a toll on you so it makes sense with the game going on. Hope someone steps up and does some other kind of event or meetup

BBS Signature
moawling
moawling
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 15:24:40 Reply

I literally live right next to The Depot :') See you then!

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Programmer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 15:39:36 Reply

2017 Supporter Upgrade out yet @Tomfulp?

UrbanTowel
UrbanTowel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 16:26:29 Reply

I'm disappointed to see that Pico Day is cancelled this year as I hoped to meet up with everybody for the first time, but that's just me being selfish. I just hope everyone has a great 2017 and let's see where the new year takes us.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 17:07:50 Reply

Happy 2017

DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Animator
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 17:22:20 (edited 2017-01-02 17:27:51) Reply

I was really looking forward to another PicoDay... bummer

Here're my feelings right now : https://youtu.be/SSICPagD63I

Well then i guess all we can do now is work harder and celebrate heavier next year!

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 17:33:24 Reply

WHOOO happeh new yearz etc! ^______________^

I always considered the NG-organized parties/meetups to be awesome and great for the community, as they have been (all around the world!), but the amount of time and money that goes in to especially the Pico Day parties must be insane indeed! Though I really hope for the party to come back next year or whenev's, of course, it also kind of opens up for the community itself to slap on the organization-clothes. I hope! :)

Physical meetups have been an awesome part of the NG community, and I really hope they'll continue one way or another.
As for this being for the ones with money/possibility to go only... well that's just the nature of the puny, physical world, right? ^^ nevertheless, I always opted for an NG-festival (remember that one time when I was close to making an NG-booth happen in one of the larger Swedish festivals, which now is dead btw...?! :0 ).

A one day festival of some sort would be awesome, but of course quite expensive to set up as well... I guess a good venue, design for style & theme would be needed to be able to start something up, to make it financially viable.

Nevertheless, I'll be back in Philly to slap high fives with mah frendses some day anyway, and maybe repeat the roadtrip me and @sardonicsamurai , @jonas and Bill (DAMMIT BILL DO YOU HAVE AN NG ACCOUNT OR WAT?!) made in 2016. THERE WERE A LOT OF BEARDS AND HUGZ IN THE MOUNTAINS, FORESTS, SEA AND AT THE PICO DAY PARTY HNNNNGH
I wanna go down to Wilmington and say hi to some other animating BUDDIEZ AINT THAT RIGHT @JonnyEthco ^_________^

In conclusion: THANK YOU TOM & the NG staff for having hosted the Pico Days and meetups in the past - I really hope this isn't the end of that rope! :)
So many awesome friendses I've met, whom I wish I could spend more time with IRL! :')

Wakka wakka

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 17:53:56 Reply

Happy New Year!! I hope I can submit a game this year. Unfortunately I'm facing a creative block for some months now. Well maybe it's more of an identity crisis. However I'm still checking out every new game on the frontpage and hope that I can come up with some fresh new stuff soon!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 18:49:42 Reply

At 1/2/17 01:45 PM, RealFaction wrote: Oh cool! And thanks! Does that mean he's judging the competition with me this year? Or are you still game for that? I figure you could always wait till you come back for that. Sounds awesome, if anyone gets video footage of the keynote, I wanna see it. Grats!

I'm still down for judging - I'll be driving back up on Sunday and normally wouldn't judge that early anyway.

I like the rest of the stuff said too, good stuff. I've got big plans this year for Newgrounds. We've got Pixel Day, I'm organizing the NGADM soon, another AIM contest, my audio drama series "Venturescape" which will require a lot of people to collab with like voice actors and musicians, and The Underground Collective Vol. 2 album with @ForgottenDawn to celebrate unity and music in the audio portal with many musicians.

Keep me posted if you have any event dates for the calendar!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:00:40 Reply

At 1/2/17 02:44 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:
At 1/2/17 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've been trying to minimize big trips to keep focus on staying healthy ...
Are you not doing well lately? Or is this just general precaution when traveling?

In general I work best when I keep a consistent routine going - healthy eating, EARLY morning exercise, caught up with site issues and making continued progress on long-term projects. Travel and events derail that. I've been especially overwhelmed by the music licensing issues we've been having and breaking routine makes me worse off mentally.

BBS Signature
SadisticAphid60
SadisticAphid60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Artist
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:08:06 Reply

At 1/2/17 06:49 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I'm still down for judging - I'll be driving back up on Sunday and normally wouldn't judge that early anyway.

True. Cool.

Keep me posted if you have any event dates for the calendar!

Sure thing! Thanks! Too early to say for anything yet, but I'm hoping by February sometime, I get the staff picked depending whos available, and what time of year would be best for the contest. Whenever that is, the AIM contest will have to be another time of the year. As for TUC, no ideas yet, I have to talk to FD on that one.

Thank you so much as always! :) I'm really happy to have your support and to support NG with the contests and Pixel Day and all the other stuff. This year I really want to do more of that and bring everyone together. I wonder if a Comedy Jam would be good one of these days? :P

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Opening Thoughts 2017-01-02 19:10:19 Reply

At 1/2/17 03:39 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: 2017 Supporter Upgrade out yet @Tomfulp?

It is!

BBS Signature