MobileSpider
MobileSpider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 03:08:25 Reply

2016 has definitely been the best year of my life, and its definitely because of NG. Honestly wish more than the best for NG for many years to come, and I love you Tom. Have an awesome New Years!

CaveDancer
CaveDancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 04:13:21 Reply

I hope 2017 will be a good year!

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 04:41:15 Reply

I was on a 6-hour drive bus with wifi in Finland today, and they had Newgrounds blocked, but ignored far worse websites in terms of mature content. It still astounds me how in 2016, Newgrounds is still a staple on the universal internet blacklist, despite being a beacon of creativity and talent. There is so much more clever content to be found here than any Reddit, Imgur, DeviantArt or Youtube could ever dream of, and because this timeline is unjust, it's getting punished for its controversial beginnings.

For all the drama about Twitter 'censoring' people, or Youtube clickbait thumbnails about how the authors are not being heard, Newgrounds is an entire website that is systematically hidden from the public. This website had a massive part in internet culture when it first started. It should be goddamn lauded, not censored.

A happy new years to everyone on here, and here's to 2017 hopefully not sucking as much <3

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Juststeven
Juststeven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 10:13:46 Reply

Happy new year, with what's been happening here and there, we can only hope for the best.
That, and at least ten more years of NG, if possible, to make it great again.

RabbitsLair
RabbitsLair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 10:24:44 Reply

Have a Happy 2017! May it be a year of bless and conquer!

BBS Signature
Zainyllun
Zainyllun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover

goodbye old 2016 year soon to new year!

RabbitsLair
RabbitsLair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 13:56:55 Reply

At 12/31/16 11:58 AM, Zainyllun wrote: goodbye old 2016 year soon to new year!

2017 will kickass! xD

BBS Signature
Oultrox
Oultrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer

I've only made 2 Game jams in my life, and I'm really flattered about all the attention, love, and feedback Newgrounds community give me with my game Code Red, thanks tom, for making this website and building up this community with us, since I'm a kid i've playing around here. it just feels great to have a game here that people enjoy. :)

2016 has been hard but, there are some good news around here for me and my bros.

https://youtu.be/ImVCrHHWZzg

Happy new year to all!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:02:48 Reply

At 12/31/16 02:50 PM, Oultrox wrote: 2016 has been hard but, there are some good news around here for me and my bros.

That's awesome!

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:16:10 Reply

At 12/31/16 12:09 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: And has any such litigation actually come to pass? All your actions regarding this come off as paranoid, especially when the Copyright Act of 1976 and/or the Grandfather Clause should protect Flashes like the one I'm talking about via non-profit and parody protection and for existing before any change in copyright law has occurred, respectively.

We've been receiving increasingly threatening correspondence and based on my research into how all this works, I am extremely confident that litigation will happen if we don't make a stronger effort to clean up music issues on the site and also nervous it will happen regardless of how hard we try. It's a difficult topic to talk about publicly because everything you say can come up and be used against you in some way in court - this is why you don't hear much when other content sites are engaged in lawsuits.

Non-profit isn't a defense because Newgrounds is a commercial website. Parody protection can protect from the brands being parodied but doesn't apply to music licensing. There is no fair use protection in this case, although we are protected by the DMCA. The problem is that DMCA does not protect you from a long drawn out legal battle and there are holes in DMCA that can be exploited to make a case against a website. The music industry uses the legal system as a weapon because they know they can crush businesses when they can't siphon money from them. Music licensing alone is a billion dollar industry, outside of the labels and the artists. We can't afford to pay them what they want and we can't afford to fight them. I'd rather people come here and discover musicians who want to be here, it's better for everyone.

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
RabbitsLair
RabbitsLair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:22:10 Reply

I'm a musician and I'm here! xD

BBS Signature
TheMoebiusProject
TheMoebiusProject
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:28:14 Reply

Yeah man! Aiming for the approval of the majority today means exactly that, playing it safe. What made Newgrounds special for me, and still does some times, was the audacity of the artists. That's the word for what has been slowly dying in most of us and we have to bring it back!.

I agree so much with your post that I had to share a couple of things from it on my facebook page. I will do my best to contribute to newgrounds and become a more active member and musician. Thanks for all you do here.

Only music can save my soul

Oultrox
Oultrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:35:10 Reply

At 12/31/16 03:02 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/31/16 02:50 PM, Oultrox wrote: 2016 has been hard but, there are some good news around here for me and my bros.

That's awesome!

Yea man it's awesome, btw, I'm 21, newgrounds has some young power around here. lols hahaha

Tobygrounds1112
Tobygrounds1112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate

I've loved Newgrounds since I was in sixth grade (and the autism in my older reviews shows)
I'd destroy this account if it didn't have the 'joined in 2010' on it.
Probably shouldn't have been playing games like 'club a seal' and 'thing thing 4' at that age, but whatever.
Most people don't even know Newgrounds still exists though.

Tobygrounds1112
Tobygrounds1112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 15:45:51 Reply

I'd destroy this account if it didn't have the 'joined in 2010' on it.

I've lurked as a guest since mid-2007. StickPage was my home site before Newgrounds.

Ant0on
Ant0on
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 18:22:20 Reply

Well, I'm still new here, so I guess I can't compare how this year was next to the previous NG years. But I am very glad I finally joined this site in mid 2016.This is a real hidden gem on the net ( most people I know are surprised that this site still exists now that theres youtube), and it has some of the most talented artists I've seen. So I look forward to the new year on NG!

poinl
poinl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 22:08:35 Reply

Nutcasenightmare and aalong64 are fantastic. There's no better place to see skill at work and find entertainment than right here on newgrounds.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-01 01:26:00 Reply

Happy New Years from here in Illinois Tom and everyone else on Newgrounds.

Also, I recently renewed my supporter stuff on here. And I gotta say. Out of all of the sites I visit I'm glad that I can give some of my money to at least try to help out on here as well as donate when i can. Newgrounds is easily one of my favorite sites just period.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
letshavefun12345
letshavefun12345
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-01 03:44:23 Reply

On a personal level, I give 2016 a 6/10. I suffered depression for a month, witnessed other people suffering depression and family dying. I really like how the year began, after February things got worse, in May I finally recovered and June was a really good month. July and August were mixed. In July I had my birthday and man was that day the best in 2016, but everything else was mixed between me wanting to pull off a Stan Mitchell and drive off a cliff, and other times I was feeling happy as all hell. After summer the year got better, and still wasn't all that good but hey, better than before. I'm hoping 2017 goes well and the more I think of it, I'm gonna miss 2016, see ya ole' buddy, I didn't have the greatest time but it had its moments.

Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-01 04:10:50 Reply

At 12/31/16 03:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/31/16 12:09 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: And has any such litigation actually come to pass? All your actions regarding this come off as paranoid, especially when the Copyright Act of 1976 and/or the Grandfather Clause should protect Flashes like the one I'm talking about via non-profit and parody protection and for existing before any change in copyright law has occurred, respectively.
We've been receiving increasingly threatening correspondence and based on my research into how all this works, I am extremely confident that litigation will happen if we don't make a stronger effort to clean up music issues on the site and also nervous it will happen regardless of how hard we try. It's a difficult topic to talk about publicly because everything you say can come up and be used against you in some way in court - this is why you don't hear much when other content sites are engaged in lawsuits.

Non-profit isn't a defense because Newgrounds is a commercial website. Parody protection can protect from the brands being parodied but doesn't apply to music licensing. There is no fair use protection in this case, although we are protected by the DMCA. The problem is that DMCA does not protect you from a long drawn out legal battle and there are holes in DMCA that can be exploited to make a case against a website. The music industry uses the legal system as a weapon because they know they can crush businesses when they can't siphon money from them. Music licensing alone is a billion dollar industry, outside of the labels and the artists. We can't afford to pay them what they want and we can't afford to fight them. I'd rather people come here and discover musicians who want to be here, it's better for everyone.

If that's the case, then there's no point in trying to "clean it up". In which case, it'd be worth it to fight back.

Ok, but you're not making money off of having the songs in the Flashes in the first place; you make it off of ads, donations, and merchandise, and Flashes that have copyrighted music can be the ones that are ad-free to avoid potential litigation. Regarding exploitation courtesy of the MPAA and RIAA, then you can probably call for jury nullification or call them out for extortion. That should be enough to push back against them. I think you mean music licensing WAS a billion dollar industry, particularly in the 90's and 2000's; nowadays, it seems like companies would rather just hire one somewhat big-time composer to make some tracks for their movie or game or just get permission from smaller artists, The Crystal Method composing for some disposable Fox show and Daft Punk making the soundtrack for Tron: Legacy being examples of the former and all of Hotline Miami's soundtrack being an example of the latter. That's probably because they know they're on borrowed time and aren't willing to adapt to modern standards or get their heads out of their asses; seriously, they could be making so much more money by taking advantage of the 20 year-rule to capitalize on nostalgia generated from the most license-heavy periods of media history. Well, people in Hell want ice water, and it seems like you don't understand the inspiration people draw from this licensed music; Joe Zombie just wouldn't be the same without Last Resort by Papa Roach playing during its climax. I highly recommend you reconsider your actions, because eventually, you're going to go after bigger, less old, better Flash movies that have impacted Newgrounds far more than older, simpler ones, that just so happen to have licensed music, and when you do, you will have officially killed NG by gutting it of its inseparable history.

BBS Signature
SketchbookProtest
SketchbookProtest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-02 03:12:47 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

I've been meaning to be more active on newgrounds for awhile now and this really cements my feelings exactly. I joined a decade ago now, probably too young but it really helped me be who I am today, because this place really feels like Sparta/American Ninja Warrior/Give Yourself Goosebumps for mixed up kids who can be either good or bad or both or neither. I always felt like I'd grown out of this community because it was full of assholes but in reality no one's any more of an asshole than you make them out to be and the more open I've become about the asshole I am the more the crack has grown and swallowed us all in swampy goodness. So I mean to do that less if it helps.

What I mean by this, Tom, is, I hope I can make this place great by giving back a little to the DIY community that taught me creative expression is simply a matter of breaking all the rules until you figure out which ones stop the actionscript button work / delete system 32, and then going wherever you feel like. thanks for making this place cool as balls, sorry for contributing to the occasionally negative vibes, please make a new Behemoth game that's a sidescrolling/isomentric mmo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzpey3OUDqM

Want more fans? Promote this URL: http://sketchbookprotest.newgrounds.com/follow
NOTE: if you're not seeing the image like this in the forums, then it is because your browser

BBS Signature
TaneishaJane
TaneishaJane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-02 09:50:42 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

I was thinking this exactly. I have a feeling 2017 will be a good year for not only this site, but for the gaming and creative communities out there.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2017-01-03 09:44:56 Reply

At 12/31/16 03:22 PM, RabbitsLair wrote: I'm a musician and I'm here! xD

And it's definitely better for everyone! :D